• Plenty of evidence to say its dumbing down the youth. Look up alabama mother common core. Thousands of parents lay it out there.

Just look up common core laws. They make a problem like 25-6 into 6 steps instead of 2. The government is intentionally dumbing down the population with this system. If you have any opposing points make your case but I doubt it. It's going to make us a less productive, less intelligent society

• I think that common core is tedious and slow.

I know from current experience, the classes move too slow for advanced students. It weighs down the advanced students to help the average students. I am in no way trying to boast. I am advanced in math, but the classes move so slow that it loses my interest. I think that other students agree. Students have to explain every step and process. This takes time. Time is valuable. I think that students would learn more if we didn't have to explain every step and process. Common core wastes time and education.
    Any information stated in this response was NOT produced from a professional source and can be invalid. This information is original to the user and was not plagiarized or copied. The theories motioned by the user may be copied for private or public use without the use of citation. This response may have errors and does not represent any group of religion, race or sexuality. The user is completely independent of his/her own theories. None of the data used in this response was meant to be offensive or stereotypical. This user does not support profanity, if you disagree with me, please do so respectfully and without degrading or inappropriate words. I once again state that this is NOT a valid source of information.
    Thank you for taking your time to read this. Have a great day!

• With a common set of standards for the entire nation colleges can rely on incoming students (and teachers) to all have an equivalent educational background.

A case study from an actual, United States school-district (in Louisiana), provides some insight: This school-district's current math standards require multiplication (and most multiplicative reasoning) to be taught in 4th grade, whereas many other districts across the nation (and the world) teach these things in 3rd grade.

The majority of school districts across the nation have standards that do not align (as there is no reason to align them with other districts). The problem with this is that students are educated differently depending on where they live, and if they move to a new district they are either behind or ahead in some areas. Obviously, this effects how students do on national college-preparedness tests like the SAT and ACT, and it drastically effects how colleges treat the educational backgrounds of ALL incoming students.

With that out of the way, I want to also address something I find in common with most advocates denying implementation:

Many parents do not understand the educational system enough to revolt in the implementation of a common set of standards. Schools rely on private companies to create curriculums that address standards implemented by the school, or district, or state. Companies like Pearson, or McGraw-Hill, must create new curriculums to address new standards - they have used this increase in market demand to develop new curriculums that are up-to-date with current education paradigms. The vast majority of people against Common Core are against these curriculums and NOT the standards themselves.

Being involved in Mathematics Education research myself, it is extraordinarily evident that a combination of both "poor" standards and outdated curriculums contribute to the high-degree lack of understanding of rudimentary mathematics. I know this "understanding based approach" is key in Pearson's newer curriculums, but NOT in their older curriculums.

The crux of education is NOT (IT'S NOT AND NEVER WAS!!) to prepare citizens for society. It has always been to cultivate critical and well-reasoned thinking - to solve problems. Any case against this is lower priority.