Should we have laws like Detroit's parental responsibility law (link)?

Asked by: Fanny
  • The answer is EDUCATION!

A child's actions are a direct result of the education that they received from their parents. If the parents have problems in getting their children to listen to them and obey the laws of their state, they can't alleviate themselves of any responsibility. Parents have many ways to try to reach out to their children, such as: creating a real dialogue with their child-discussing issues and problems that the child raises.
    If the situation gets out of control, a psychologist may be used, but the parents cannot deny any responsibility.

• Detroit's parental responsibility law is a good example of what cities can do to encourage parents to be more involved with their children.

A parental responsibility law is a great idea for cities, what a wonderful way to keep parents invested in their children and wondering what they are doing and who they are hanging out with. There should be a national parental responsibility law implemented so parents have more incentive to be involved with and actually parent their children rather then trying to be their child's best friend. More parents need a reason be a parent and some consequences for when they are not willing to say no to their child would be a great place to start.

• Yes, parents would think twice before allowing their children to misbehave.

Yes, we should have laws like Detroit's parental responsibility law, because it would make adults think twice before allowing their children to misbehave. Many parents expect teachers or community groups to raise their children. Parental responsibility laws impress upon adults that their children are ultimately their own responsibility, and they should make sure they follow laws.

• Detroit's Parental Responsibility Law Positive

Detroit's Parental Responsibility Ordinance keeps parents responsible for their children's actions. Parents are supposed to keep their children in a safe living environment and to discourage them from committing crimes. With that in mind, such laws work in Detroit and should be implemented in other areas in the United States.

• We should have laws like Detroit's parental responsibility law.

We should have laws like Detroit's parental responsibility law. In Detroit, parents are held accountable for the actions of their children. I think this is good for everyone because it makes parents act more like parents and not let their children run wild in the streets. It is up to the parent to teach their children and holds them responsible.

• This is the most ineffective law known to man.

I feel that punishing a parent for the misbehavior of their child in most cases is completely unreasonable. Say a child is to leave and break curfew while the parent is asleep expecting said child to stay in the house as directed. The parent has made the necessary actions towards keeping the child in during curfew and still if the child is caught the parent is held accountable.

• Some Minors Are Impossible To Control

I do not believe we should have parental responsibility laws, such as the one referenced for Detroit. I believe most of the duties listed in the law are common for parents to follow, however in some areas people are considered minors all the way up to 17 or 18 years of age. As children get older, and especially between the ages of 13 to 18, they become exceedingly harder to control. I do not believe parents should be held accountable for everything a child does. Especially when you consider places like Detroit, where children could easily join a gang, very early on. It's a crime to parents accountable for a force that is far larger than they are.

• Good idea, poor execution

While I feel, in general, that parents need to take more responsibility for the actions of their children, I think laws like this could do more harm than good.

I am not a lawyer, but if I read the statute correctly, if my child is found to break curfew once and then have an unexcused absence from school another time, I could potentially spend between 15 and 30 days in county jail. That seems phenomenally excessive. In addition, what is the standard by which they determine whether or not I have "required" my child to obey curfew or attend school? If I express an expectation that he obey curfew and then he breaks it anyway, have I sufficiently "required" it?

• Can harm both parents and children.

Some parents will use such a law as an excuse for excessive parental control over children, which is already an extremely widespread problem causing incredible amounts of suffering. Also, it seems very likely that this could be used to punish parents for things that they do not have much control over.