Should we impose the death penalty upon people that have killed others?

• Yes, we should impose the death penalty upon people that have killed others

While I do not advocate the death penalty as the starting point in criminal murder trials, I do believe that the death penalty should at least be an option for those accused of murder. Once someone is dead, the recidivism rate for murder is zero. By agreeing that we can impose the death penalty upon people convicted of murder, we can at least prevent future murders from occurring.

• Need some line

People need to set some line in order to define and set morals in a country, and the taking of another person's life is the ultimate deprivation of rights, a truly egregious violation of the rights of the people of a country. People need to understand that some things are truly worth dying for.

• Death penalty is not the answer.

We are already in the contemporary period where retributive theory should no longer be acceptable. (concept of an eye for an eye; a tooth for a tooth). We should actually work more on digging deeper to the root cause of the rise of criminality. Imposing death penalty would only work as a "band aid solution" if the real problem is not solved which I believe on my own opinion is poor mental health.
    Schools are more concerned with incorporating knowledge in Math, Science, Language, History and other core subjects as the case may be but the subjects: Culture, Arts, Humanities and the like are given the least emphasis which I believe are equally important such as those "core subjects". All these things summed up hone an individual to a real human being. But I believe even the parents of young students fail to realize to keep in check the emotional and mental impacts of pressuring their children to excel in school. Every parent wants his/her child to be performing well in school, right? But is that what these young mind intended to? What if they have other things in mind? Like actually dreaming to be a national artist someday. Would he need to be stressing himself over Algebra home works? I think not, ideally. (I personally love Math but the only theory I think was only ever applicable in real life was Pythagoras Theorem. If you walk as much as I do. You'll understand why.)
    I only have three points why death penalty is not the answer:
    1. Death is irreversible.
    What if the conviction of the person was based on an erroneous decision of the court and turned out he was innocent? Can we actually resurrect him back to life? The answer is obvious.
    2. Death penalty is a paradox.
    It proves that killing is acceptable but only if the State does the killing. Why should the State counter violence through violence? Truly a paradox. Quoting American novelist Wendell Berry, "violence breeds violence."
    3. Only a moron will trust the legal system
    I am a big fan of How to Get Away With Murder series. As depicted in several episodes, being influential and wealthy is an advantage because you could actually hire the best lawyers and eventually walk out of the court room with an unstained record.
    How easy for the influential ones to coerce a poor individual to confess for a crime in exchange of money, many cases attest to this. How can we let money dictate who shall live and who shall cease. Tell me.
    I want to conclude this by saying that once we clear conscience and learn how to value humanity by incorporating the values of equity, justice, honesty and respect in our lifestyle, only then shall we truly live in peace with one another and live in crime-free society.

• Death Penalty is not the answer

1. Death is irreversible.
    2. Death penalty is a paradox.

• Two wrongs do not make a right.

Murder is a horrible crime that not affects the victim but also there friends and family. Murder also affects the community at large. Violent crimes, in general, make people feel unsafe and afraid. That being said, I feel the punishment we impose on murderers reflects on who we are as a civilization. The death penalty attempts to use violence as punishment against violent people and can only beget more violence. Not to mention, it does nothing to bring back the life of the victim.

• No, we shouldn't.

I don't believe that we should impose the death penalty as retribution for murder. The retribution can be in the form of spending a life behind bars. While some people consider an eye for an eye justice, it is barbaric and it stoops to their level. The justice system is also too unreliable. Too many people have been executed in the past who were innocent. If they get life in prison, they have until they die naturally to appeal their case.

• Disagree, but it depends on the killing.

I'm going to say no on this, simply because the question is very broad and there's no black and white answer for me. Some people, like serial killers, do deserve to be put to death. As do child rapists. But, as a whole, people who have killed did it in a temporary period of rage, by accident, or in self-defense or war.