Should we not mention religion in school because a minority of people don't like it

Asked by: 420NoScopeBlazin
  • Religion has no place in the classroom

Unless you are taking a history class learning about the historical factors of religion or you are taking a philosophy class discussing religion- then it has no place in the classroom. In America there are people from many different religions as well as those that lack beliefs. It doesn't matter if we're a minority. A long time ago the clear majority in America did not believe that gays deserved rights. At one point the majority believed that blacks were inferior to whites. I don't care if we're a minority. Having a mentality that the majority is always right or that we should always appeal to and please the majority is an outrageous claim.

The main religion in America is Christianity. I do not want to go to a school and feel uncomfortable because teachers talk about Christianity. Unless its mentioned in an educational sense, religious views can be discussed outside of the classroom- preferably in a church.

• Read Our Founding Documents.

We have this thing called separation of church and state. I'ts written in our founding documents. Schools are a government run institution. This would violate one of the core ideas of this nation. We should all be allowed to worship (Or not) as we please. But defending my rights to a choice also means defending yours. If you try to force your god, or talk about you god to me, then that's not ok. But if we tell you he doesn't exist its blasphemy? Just because we don't talk about him doesn't mean that we're saying he (Or she) doesn't exist.Not talking about it is the only way that we get even representation.

• History of religion should be taught in schools, but religious belief should not...

Religious belief cannot independently prove its own claims to intellectual authority. If it could, then religious doctrine would be incorporated into science, and conversions wouldn't depend on war, persecution, emotional manipulations, and irritating doorknockers.

Without intellectual authority to back religious claims, exploiting the credulity of children is an abuse of trust.

• Your fooling yourself.

You really don't want religion to be taught in public school. Christians tend to have many misconceptions. The idea to keep religion out of public schools was not ours but that of theists. This was because the schools taught a different branch of Christianity than what they believed in. Example: if you where Protestant, you would not want your kids taught religion by a Catholic. You would also not want your tax money to fund some other faiths belief. To keep things fair among all the faiths, they determined that no religion should be taught in public schools.
    One other thing that theist, specifically Christians fool themselves about is that if it was allowed in schools, that it would be only their religion learned about. You see, once you open the door for religion, any religion can walk on.
    Imagine this: Your child gets home from school and you ask what they learned today. A big smile appears on their face as the say "I just learned about Wicca. It is so cool. They make spells and all kinds of cool stuff. I even joined their club. I am going to spend a lot of time with my new friends" I can just see the look on the parents faces when that happens.

• We have the freedom of religion

If atheists do not like the way we worship, why should we be punished. I believe that they are entitled to their own opinion, but we should be able to worship as we choose. If they don't like the way we speak they can choose not to listen, but should we punish the many because a couple of people disagree with them?

• Of Course Religion

Separation of church and state is not anti-religion. It has even been presented that separation of church and state (a persuasive argument) really began as a Christian idea. It was necessary idea, but has now become corrupted in the hands of militant secularists who think its all about curbing religious liberties in America. These militant secularists are the enemies of the freedoms birthed through Christian thinking.

Religion may be mentioned and should be mentioned in school.

• We need to be educated

I think we need to be taught about religion. But we can't just be taught about Christianity. We need to be taught about other religions like Muslim, Jewish and things like that. I think that because of how under-educated we are about the Muslim religion, that may be the reason why we are so biased against them when a person from that religion commit a crime. I have friends in a detention center for refugees that are amazing and it is really interesting to learn about their beliefs.

• Of course not:

I think it is very important we teach the different religions in school. We will be exposing the different kids to the beliefs out there, and its very important we foster in them an open-mindedness that is lacking very much in american society today. As for atheism, it would be a pretty simple lesson. God does not exist.

• I believe that people in America have a freedom of religion

Its the first amendment. We should have a freedom of practicing our religion in school. It is a right that all people deserve. Even just allowing people to pray in public schools should be allowed. I even found out that a girl got expelled for doing the sign of the cross. That should not be allowed.

• Majority rules In this case.

Honestly here in north America we celebrate Christmas. Atheists and Christians alike celebrate it. I am a Student Council Member and was in charge of these festivities. I had Christmas decorations and banners all around. Everyone was happy. Except for 1 kid. He was Jewish and felt offended ( no racism just a statement of fact ). As such for the next couple years it was called the winter concert and winter pep rally and Christmas decor was not allowed. Finally parents combated the problem. We should have religion in schools.

• Mentioning religion to educate students can promote understanding and tolerance.

Mentioning religion, so long as it is in a neutral viewpoint, allows students to understand more about the differences between various religions and the importance of inter-racial harmony. False perceptions of certain religions that are ingrained in the minds of students can also be corrected in school. If topics on religion are avoided in school, whatever students hear or see outside of school can easily warp their views of certain religions and breed misunderstandings and tension between religions.

• I think religion should be mentioned in school

It's good for the students to know the different religions and beliefs, just because a few students may not have a religion doesn't mean they should ignore it entirely and be ignorant.

Not saying that schools should pressure students into being religious, but learn it and understand a bit more. If they don't learn it they become biased when something happens that they don't like from a religion (an example).

Or they could do what they do at my sisters school, where it's optional to take on Religion as a subject if you are religious. But that ruins what I just said about mentioning religion in school if it isn't the whole student body.

• Just as long as you talk about all religions.

I think you should be allowed to mention religion in schools. I just also think you shouldn't just talk about solely one religion in class, unless it's a class dedicated to that religion. If you're going to talk about one, you might as well talk about the other ones to.

• Depends on the context.

Anything religious deemed required by the school or its faculty should be strictly prohibited. But, any nonviolent individual practices are religious rights that should not be infringed upon.

Let's even expand a little bit more on this…

Religious clubs. In a public school setting, are the appropriate? My answer, is yes! So long as school faculty does not have involvement. Also that these clubs do not congregate during school hours. Which isn't to say that friends in these clubs won't get together. That's fine. It's just that actual "club" or "group" meetings should not be held at this time.

When I was in Elementary school, there was a bus/motorhome that would come on Wednesdays during recess. It was essentially like a Sunday school on wheels and it was run by a couple older ladies that had no relation to the school. (Yes, very weird in retrospect). We could opt to go to recess or we could go to the "sunday school". Even this, I think, was toeing the line a bit, as when students arrived late to class from recess, consequences would be much harsher than they were to kids who were late from "Sunday-motor-home-school".

npeterso2018 says2015-02-19T22:27:32.700
This question is very biased