Should we punish bystanders for failing to intervene in bullying?

• Yes, bystanders are complicit

Yes, I think so. Bystanders are encouraging bullying by failing to prevent it. The Kitty Genovese effect is psychologically proven - people assume someone else will do something, so the original people never do. By punishing bystanders, we are showing that we won't stand bullying at all, and it is up to each of us to prevent it.

• How To The Chinese

Herro, I like today to talk about the Chinese. First I show how to speak the Chinese and then we can all practice it together, hokay? Herro, I like today to talk about the Chinese. First I show how to speak the Chinese and then we can all practice it together, hokay?

• How To The Chinese

• I agree with this statement

The bystander naturally expects someone, or at least someone who walks by, to save the bullied from their so called predicament. Also, by punishing bystanders, you eradicate all chances of a person even wanting to approach a bully. By punishing the bystander, the bully might be encouraged to keep bullying even more frequently in order to get the bystander in trouble.

• Not unless it's your job

If the 'bystander' in question is a police officer or security guard or otherwise responsible for other people's safety then yes they should be punished. They should at least be liable to civil lawsuits from the victims, and face a review to determine if they should be allowed to keep their job.

But if the person is just an ordinary civilian then no they shouldn't be punished. Standing up to bullying is commendable, but it's also risky. What if the bully decides to start bullying the bystander? What if it's physical bullying?

• It depends on the situation, but generally no.

If an adult walks by some kid being teased and does nothing, he/she is not failing to stop immediate serious harm or danger. Similarly, if an adult sees some kid being physically beaten by a group of people, he/she is not at fault for not risking to get hurt.

This is a flawed logic. Should we likewise punish bystanders who fail to intervene in an armed robbery or another serious crime?

• Punishment no. Incentives yes!

Bystanders should not be punished for failing to intervene. This is a free country and I believe if someone chooses not to intervene that is their choice and must be respected. In order to achieve a cultural change we need to change our thinking. If I intervene I could get hurt as well is a common thinking. If the approach is changed and a support system is engaged instead of directly intervening the bystanders would know, I've seen bullying and this is where I can report it anonymously. Just a thought.