Should we punish student bystanders for failing to stop bullying?

Asked by: dave2655
  • Protect your Friends

If you really cared for your friends, you would stand up to them. I am definitely not the toughest kid in my school, but I stood up for someone when they were teasing someone else. Though they were stronger than me and more liked overall, I got them to stop bullying, and I got a friend.

• To some degree yes

But only because failing to stop provocation could avoid such situations. It's wrong to push or attempt to push someone to have an episode just because you don't like them, or somehow, they have hurt you, or someone you deal with. If you have issues with a person, just be up front and tell them what the issue is. There's not problem with talking about things and negotiating, it's best to tell someone you don't like them, or what you think, versus attempting to predict, misinterpret, and gossip about someone just because you don't want to talk to them, or refuse to communicate. People are not that scary that you can't just talk to them. People create dramas for their own agendas and to promote their own propagandas, that's sad. It's best to clarify things and say, okay there's a misunderstanding, okay, let's avoid that, now move on, and let's work. Versus, keeping a conflict driven, innuendo based, gossip, passive aggressive culture that only works to devalue work ethics. I mean it's all about learning from each other, not constantly nagging. We all make mistakes, oh well, that's life, move on. Communication, clear communication is key. You have issues, just ask directly. Direct approach is best. The best interactions I've had are with people that just flat out directly ask and keep asking, in a professional way.

Posted by: bk1
  • It is not their fault

They did not do anything wrong. They just simply did not want to get in trouble. They never intended to hurt anyone they just didn't want to get beat up. And that is understandable. No child wants to get beat up for helping another student. It should not be their fault.

• Bannana wiener cheese

Chickn is kewl i like chikn ;alk ;lkaja l; l l l ll l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l and vegazzle

• Don't let the bullies take the punishment also. Let the bystandards take the punishment.

I dont like to see the people around me being bullied and i always stand up for a person that is bullied even if i don't like the person that is being bullied. Absolutly no one deserves to be bullied. Even a bully shouldn't be bullied. But, that doesn't mean you don't go to an adult and tell them who is bullying you because there are always consequences. Bystandards are the ones who should have stopped the bully in the first place or told a teacher, principle, or an adult so the bully can face consequences and stop bullying the victim. They could have stopped this by telling an adult right away so that way matters do not end up worse and the victim might get mentally or phisically hurt.

• Has anyone here ever been Bullied

Student bystanders have the power to stop a bully when they don't the bystander is just as bad as the bully. If you have ever been bullied before than you would understand that someone who is being bullied needs help and if no one will help them are we not as bad as the bully ?
    If you think that bystanders should not be punished than please do your research this is the ONLY way to stop bullying

• Bystanders could also be in fear

You're watching your friend beat up either mentally or physically it's difficult to bring up the courage to stand up for your friend. Theirs also the problem of seeing your friend getting mentally or physically abused is punishment enough, and they don't really need extra punishment. Standing up against a bully also adds the problem that then the bully could bully both kids.

• The Innocent Bystander.

Not everyone thinks like Chuck Norris or Steven Seagal. Some people foster genuine concern that, if they were to intervene in bullying, the bullies would turn their gaze upon them and that they would be unable to defend themselves. Not everyone stands by and watches out of apathy, many do it out of fear for their own safety.

• Student should not get involved

What is the point of the student to get punish for not standing up to the bully. In which he/she should not be liable for some thing he/she has no control over. In fact what if the bystander ends up getting hurt then the situation becomes even more serious and no one wins.

• No we should not.

I think it is important to teach students to report a bully for doing that or harassing other students, but I can not blame a kid for not wanting to stop a bully. They will end up getting picked on and subject themselves to that kind of treatment now as well.

• That's unheard of.

Punishment sounds harsh, they may have thought that they had a good reason to be a bystander. The situation could have been potentially dangerous for them or they didn't know what to do in the heat of the moment. There are surprisingly many reasons to be a bystander, whether it is liked by school administrators or not. There should be at least a chat between an adult and the student, informing them of what they should have done.

• No they should not be

I have been a bystander and I have spoken out.
    However in many cases children including myself years ago became a target kids are smart and will find you out.
    Laying the responsibility on children to stop "Bullying" whatever the word means is ridiculous.
    Children are not the agents teachers are and should not be slapped with the title of enforcer bystanders cannot be held accountable for the actions of others.

• It is best to leave them the option of confidentally informing a teacher

Students may not even notice it or think the kids are joking around. Also, kids have no obligation to stop it and they may be worried they will get bullied if they step up for the bullied kid. It is best to leave them the option of confidentally informing a teacher

• THW punish student bystanders for failing to stop bullying

Can you help me with this. I have a tournament coming soon and i need some help. Can you give me some opposition points and some proposition points. Thanks in advance. Also if you have a quote for op or prop please tell me. Thanks again.
    - dave2655
    h i

• Bystanders will be targeted.

If bystanders report bullying, then they will be targeted too. This will cause a bullying epidemic resulting in a worse situation. If they voluntarily decide to report it they can but they shouldn't be punished for something that is not their fault. It is extremely difficult to speak out about this and young children should not have this expectation to report or threat to be punished.

• It is not their fault