• Respect others beliefs

People may not believe in the same thing that you believe in but that doesn't make them below you are you greater then them it just means that you were taught one way and they were taught another no one has the power to tell you that you are wrong. Period.

• We should respect others religion and ask for respect in return.

I completely believe in respect of others beliefs. I am an atheist and have several religious friends. We all have mutual respect for each other's religious beliefs and no one tries to debate on wether the other guy is right or wrong. We just accept that we all believe different things and let it be.

• The biggest gap in beliefs is mainly atheist vs theist.

The problem is not religion or atheism.

The problem is and always will be extremists.

No matter what your belief is if you force it on others you become the bad guy.

If you do not respect other peoples beliefs then you are the bad guy.

It doesn't mean you have to believe what they believe but you can't hold it against them.

There are obviously exceptions.

Every belief will have good people and bad people.

Whether you are athiest or thiest just respect people for what they believe and if they don't respect you they are just a waste of your time.

Personally I believe in God and I also see how people might find it hard to believe.

Everyone even monks all the way up to the pope have had doubts.

In every persons life their belief will be tested, possibly even multiple times.

Some theists will change to atheism and some atheists will also change to theists.
    For this reason if you insult any religion or belief you might possibly be shoving you foot in your mouth.

Give respect and don't bother with those who don't return it.

• Respect is not the same as agreeing

Just as Evelyn Beatrice Hall said "I disapproved of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." People are different, you don't need education to understand this, and so are their opinion. Feel the need to ridicule others opinion only show your insecurity.

• Respect returns with respect.

You may not support someone's opinion and beliefs, but respect their opinion enough to leave them be. If you don't respect ones opinions/beliefs, how do you think they will interpret your opinions/beliefs? And honesty, after respecting the people's opinions around me, I feel more happy about sharing and hearing differing opinions, allowing me to have an open mind and learn more about issues I may care about. :)

• It doesn't affect anybody else when you choose to be a certain religion

I personally am not religious, but I have friends that are many different religions. I think it shouldn't affect anybody else if you decide to be a certain religion. It's not like anybody is going to force you to be religious, and maybe it's just my generation but I personally believe that everybody should be able to have religious freedom.

• Be respectful and kind to people

This is a stupid argument. Seriously... Is it really that hard to just respect other people's religions... It's not going to hurt you or even affect you. Would someone would like to be bullied due to their beliefs. For example, pretend you (in Islam) wore a head scarf and people are making fun of you because you're just different from everyone else. People doing this are just bullies and don't know RESPECT!!!! I'm
    Very surprised to see 45% people here said no and those people obviously weren't educated

• Be a good human

This is stupid.... Why would people just be nice and respect other people's religions. I mean it's not going to hurt you at all. And how would you feel like if someone made fun of you because (In Islam) they wear head scarves... Those people right there are bullies and don't know how any RESPECT!!!!! DISRESPECTFUL!!!! I really don't know why people would be disrespectful. Just be a nice person and do what a GOOD person would do!!!

• Be a good human

• Respect others beliefs

We should respect every ones beliefs some people don't respect others beliefs because there scared, want to be right or just show true hatred. Believing in what you want is right so go on believe someones wrong because they are atheist, christian, etc, thats your belief and i respect that but also respect others treat others the way you want to be treated.

• There are no beliefs that are not subject to criticism.

Every belief can be argued with, and if we respect other's beliefs, people can use that against others when they feel they will lose the debate. An example: Me: "There is no evidence for God." Religious person: "Why can't you just respect our beliefs?"
    This shows that people will use it as a cop out, and that's not all. All beliefs should be subject to criticism, else we would all just have to accept objective morality without questioning it.

• We should respect people, not beliefs

Beliefs should be based on truth, which should be based on reason and evidence. Beliefs that are based on indoctrination, superstition or just assumption don't merit respect. They should be questioned and must be defended. If they can't be defended, they why should they be respected?

Usually the kind of beliefs that people demand respect for are religious. In some places "respect" for these beliefs is mandated by force, in others by intimidation. Clearly these beliefs don't deserve respect on their own merit, or this kind of coercion would not be necessary.

• Respect the right to the belief, not the belief

I believe that anyone has the right to believe anything they want to about anything at all - but I don't believe they have the right to force others to agree with them or be upset if others disagree with them. What happens in your own head is your own business - it's when it comes out of your mouth and influences your actions that it starts to become relevant to anyone else.

• It is scientifically sound to challenge certain beliefs

Not all beliefs are the same. Some are quite sensible while others are not. People confuse respect with silent agreement. This is dangerous because some beliefs are extremely harmful and should be challenged. I work in a field where ideas need to be challenged constantly because human lives are at stake; therefore, if every opinion were valid and equal no necessary and positive changes would occur and many lives would be in danger. I most certainly do not respect homophobic, racist and sexist opinions. Respecting a person is not the same as respecting their ideas about any given topic. No matter how much I love someone, if their opinion about something is completely preposterous, my love and respect for them won't change that. I'm sorry, but no. Not all opinions are respectable, especially if there is no evidence ( or only cirmustancial evidence) to support them.

• Confusing "losing an argument" with "losing the right to argue"

If all beliefs come from ideas that we have about the reality of the world, it should be noted that some of these ideas are more accurate than others. Not all ideas are created equal, and if I have a belief that isn't supported by evidence (i.E. A stupid belief), I'd want someone to tell me. There is literally no other area of the human experience where we respect the fact that someone has an incorrect belief:

- History: if you believe china invaded Poland in WW2, you're an idiot, I'm not hiring you
    - Math/Accounting:if you believe 3+4=8, you're an idiot, good luck at McDonald's
    - Foreign Relations: if you believe the Japanese language comes from Latin, you're an idiot, Second Grade was hard for all of us
    - if you believe the world was created in 3 days but the sun wasn't created until the 4th day (what is a day without the sun?), I'm open to debate but there's a pretty good chance you're an idiot

I assume this question is talking about religious belief. Somehow when we get into religion it's suddenly not ok to evaluate the validity of someone's beliefs (or at least the foundation of those beliefs). A lot of people incorrectly convolve the two separate concepts of belief and truth. Beliefs can be true or not true, but I'd like all of my beliefs to be of the factually verifiable variety. This is frankly ridiculous, and I'm tired of people hiding behind the first amendment; No one is attacking you, just your dumb ideas. Yes, you are allowed to believe whatever you want, but please stop pretending that simply believing something is true makes it equally valid as another belief. If you can't back up your beliefs, you didn't lose the right to argue, you only lost the argument.

• Some opinions are just horrible and stupid.

Why should I 'respect' a belief that Mohammed flew a horse over the moon? Or that a man was brought back from the dead? Furthermore, why should I respect a belief that women and homosexuals are subhuman? I definitely don't respect those beliefs. We are becoming far too politically correct.

• Some beliefs are simply not respectable

Every belief is a potential action and no, beliefs should not be respected just because they are beliefs. The belief that Jews have a unique covenant with God generates the action of mutilating their children's genitals. The belief that certain animal parts cure impotence has led to the near extinction of tigers and rhinos. The Islamic belief that martyrs are rewarded in heaven has led to all sorts of atrocities. The Christian belief that sex is for procreation only has led millions of people to miss out on basic human pleasures. Of course we shouldn't automatically respect beliefs - the fact that they are beliefs not facts means that they demand scrutiny, and we have a moral obligation to question beliefs that could lead to harmful actions.

• Belief is illogical.

Beliefs are blinded ideas that are up for arguments and shouldn't be accepted just because they are "believed" by someone no matter how passionately. You can have your opinions on things, but they do not circumvent the facts. Whether it is believing in god or believing in Aliens, all beliefs should be challenged and this challenge poses disrespect to a belief.

• No, we should not respect or support every belief of another person.

Some may say that "there is no such thing as a wrong opinion." This is also an opinion, and is partially correct. An opinion is a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge, it can't be "wrong." An opinion can however, be based of an invalid argument causing it to be stupid and or horrible.

• "I respect people too much to respect their ridiculous beliefs"

I will always respect the right of others to hold their own views, whatever they may be, but I am certainly not committing myself to respecting their actual beliefs. Beliefs are to be respected based on their own merits, not merely because they are held by a particular person or group. This is an important distinction.