• There no point

There is no point of keeping the postal office there are many other way of sending a letter that are more convenient to us for example we could always use gmail it save paper and saves you money. That why we should abolishing the postal office when many other cheaper way of send messages or letter to people or business

• They are inefficient and incompetent. There are 4 examples I want to share, but it only has room for 3 of them.

Ex 1: My family sent me a package and 2 weeks after they mailed it , it had not arrived and it has not been returned-they lived 2.5 hours away. I spoke to the mail carrier for my build, who had to be reminded of my name 5 times in under 10 minutes-he informed me he had no idea. I then spoke to the manager who shouted at me, without provocation that “dealing with individual parcels was not their job!” My parent received the package 1 week later and it was marked “return to senter."
    Ex 2: I tried to send a package to a professor I had in college as a thank you. I used one of the postal service’s flat rate boxes. I was first told that the price was about $21 and that it would probably be delivered next day. I was confused about the price. But I was on my way to work. The usps employee then looked at the box and told me the price was really about $45. When I asked why, she got an attitude and said “it’s the wrong box.” I asked what she was talking about. She said “Well! It’s the regular medium flat rate box.” I asked why that was a problem, to which she replied rolling her eyes at me “if you want to get it there tomorrow you need to repack it in another box.” Then she shout that she was going to get another box and to unpack mine. This all took about 45 minutes and I was going to be late for work. I walked out and took it to UPS the next day who shipped it for just over $10, and my professor received it the next day.
    Ex3: After my Grandfather passed away my Mother was responsible for caring his final expenses. She sent back 1 begging letter. The mail carrier decided that because we sent back 1 letter that meant all of my Grandfather mail should be stopped-going to the point of writing on our mail box: “No Adams” on the inside of front flap. We usually grab the mail from that second back flap, so we did not notice for probably about a month. We think it was about a month, because that was about the amount of time between when we sent the 1 letter back and we received an official phone call from life insurance company who was confused as to why the policy payout had been sent back. I called the post office to figure out what was going on. The manager nastily told me “well when you sent back the 1 letter, it is the same as filling out a form to stop mail delivery.” I pointed out that that was in no way legal, to which all he could say was "um." I also pointed out that the mail carrier writing on our mail box was vandalism, and he replied “well sorta.”

• Disastrous mismanagement, no accountability.

On several occasions, I've had items that were being sent to me from another person in the same state. But instead of the package going from point A to point B, the package got sent to a sorting facility on the other side of the country.
    The Postal Regulatory Agency doesn't want to be bothered with addressing my complaint. All they do is pass the buck to someone in the postal service who also doesn't care either. When I talked to their Consumer Affairs person, all they could do is come up with lame excuses, none of which were valid reasons why the same sorting facility would screw up two packages coming to me. That's not a coincidence. Just incompetence.
    On another occasion when I was shipping a certified package to a university, the processing center near the university failed to deliver the package in an appropriate manner. Instead of the Postal Service accepting blame for it, they tried blaming the recipient, who wasn't even aware that they should be expecting a certified package.
    These kinds of incidents are not likely to be isolated events, but a pattern of negligence and ineptitude.
    If I want to send a letter or correspondence via postal service to a town that is 10 miles away, instead of them just sending it there, they ship the item to a processing center that is 120 miles away, and then they bring it back here to deliver the item. This is ridiculous to send an item 240 miles out of its way, just to go across town.
    If the Postal Service is NOT capable of doing their job properly, then all they are is dead weight.
    And every year they come up with feeble excuses as to why they have to increase the cost of postage again and again. It's because they're losing money through their mismanagement and incompetence.

• The post office doesn't need to be "saved"

All that needs to be done is to do away with the ridiculous mandate that they fund their pensions for employees that arent even born yet. No company has ever been asked to do that and it's the only reason they aren't profitable. The mandate was an attempt to tear the Post Office and it's Union down. Congressman who own chains of UPS stores should have abstained from voting on that mandate IMHO

• Save the USPS

The Unites States Postal Service is a very important symbol of the priorities in America today. We need to strive to save jobs and help the working class people in our country. U.S. postal workers do some of the hardest jobs, we should allow them to keep their salaries and positions.

• Yes

I believe that we should save the US Postal service. It would be way to confusing if it was privatized and you had 3 different companies delivering to your door daily. E-mail and the internet have decreased our need for the United States post office but it is still a necessity.

• Yes, It Is a Great Service

The United States Postal Service is one of the most amazing achievements we have had in this country. The employees of the post office make it possible for you to send a letter or package anywhere in the United States. That is absolutely awesome, and it is very accessible to the average person. If we get rid of the postal service, prices will sky rocket and even sending a little card to your grandma will cost a fortune.

• YES

The United States Postal Service is an extremely important part of the country, even today with all its fast transactions and doodads. It's important for people paying their bills and to businesses. The alternative is a private company.

Do people really think that a private company will do better than the postal service? No, what will happen is that private company will swoop in and leave millions of people that live in rural areas or poor areas without the ability to get to a mailbox without having to go several miles out of their way. Folks shouldn't have to travel twenty miles down the road just to get to send or receive mail. That's ridiculous.

Don't even get me started on how much people need those P.O. boxes and things of that nature.

• Yes.

The Post Office should be saved because it still has some purpose in today's world. People still receive necessary things and not so necessary things like bills, magazines and birthday cards in the mail. The Post Office still delivers packages cheaper than UPS and Fedex as well. Even though it needs to be saved they need to cut costs. Saturday delivery should be gotten rid of and some post offices should be closed.

• Open it up to competition.

The post office clause should never have been included in the Constitution. Monopolies are only created by the state at the expense of taxpayers. FedEx, ups, and amazon have all proven that private business is much better at handing mail at a cheaper price because they have more incentive to please their customers. When the state controls it, it becomes stagnant and doesn't care about pleading it's customers because they have a guaranteed income of we the taxpayers.

• Time to get rid if USPS

FedEx and UPS signed an agreement withe Postal Service and we have lost forever two recent purchases with Amazon....Postal Service scans these packages as Delivered but to the wrong address and unless the recipient returns the package you can kiss it goodbye. ...1 flawed arrangement that these companies now rely on an i don't care bureaucratic system and 2 their scanning system does nothing to help consumer. We are left holding the bag!!!! I have no confidence in the Postal Service and am kissed off at Amazon. ..UPS and FedEx for setting up this model tie save money at our expense....

• The US Postal Service needs to be abolished

The US Postal Service is operating in the red and we have a 19 trillion dollar national debt. The postal Service is obsolete and is pathetic. I am getting other people's mail and they are getting my mail. Postal workers get paid a lot more money than I do and they can't do their jobs. The US Postal Service serves no constructive purpose at all anymore and it is losing money. We can't afford the postal service; it has to go.

• Frequently lost packages

Frequently lost packages. When packages are sent by other carriers they are not lost. I call the post office. Result I never see my package. It keeps happening over and over. They blame the sender. Funny how the sender has not problem getting me my package when sent through another carrier

• Frequently lost packages

• Change is always tough

I bet it was hard when we stopped paying folks to clean horse manure from city streets. Time we move on, our environment can't afford all these cars and trucks delivering paper. Most of it can be done electronically. Pay UPS or FedEx to come by twice a week and deliver dead trees if you feel you need it.

Redirect some of the Post Office to provide "Certified Notice" email. That should satisfy the legal side of things.

• Obsolete Postal Service

There is no longer a need for the post office when everything can easily be done electronically. Emails are much more efficient than sending a letter, which can take 2-5 days. Also the majority of the mail that comes through is mostly junk mail. Paying bills online is way easier and less of a hassle than sending by mail. As technology continues to evolve, I see the post office eventually going away.

• You serious? Nah.

We don't need the post office anymore because it is way behind the 21st century and the use of the post office is no longer needed. We already have the technology that has and will continue to surpass the post office. What I'm trying to say is that basically, the post office is overrated.

• NO! Waste of taxpayer $$

The reason the post office has been allowed to continue to operate at staggering losses is because it is not accountable to market forces.

Private companies , like UPS and FedEx, have to respond to market changes; e.g. e-mail replacing most letter and particularly financial transactions. And it's only going to become more pervasive as the internet becomes, as it almost already is, practically universal.

The only way the USPS survives is taxpayer$ bailouts every year to the tune of billion$. Don't tell me how relatively inexpensive it is to send a letter thru the USPS - if you add up all the subsidies/bailouts, free land, paying no taxes and getting government rates for fuel (not to mention a monopoly on letter service) - that stamp cost is, I would bet, well over $2!!

I'm not saying we don't a need postal service, we do. But it can and should be handled by private enterprise. Amen.