Should we say the pledge of allegiance everyday in public schools?

Asked by: welliott
  • To many people have sacrificed their lives for YOUR freedom.

If you do not appreciate what you have, then you can leave. There are millions of people out there that would kill to have what Americans have. If you are not as patriotic as I am, thats fine. But at the bare minimum, you could have some respect for your nation.

Based on my own experience, people want all of the benefits, without any thought of how much it has cost to preserve their freedom.

For instance, in my school, some kid would say that he carries a gun everywhere (thank you 2nd amendment). But with his next breath, he said "I use the flag as toilet paper." That is what happens when you do not instill a sense of respect for your nation. People want the rights that are guaranteed to them, but are unwilling to respect the Government that grants those rights to them. It is a sense of entitlement.

• Yes, We Should. But...

We should say the pledge of allegiance every day in all American schools. However, the "under God" part needs to be be taken out. That would be the public school system and American government favoring one belief system, which is against the Constitution. It makes me kind of sad, but I don't even say it anymore because of this reason.

• Yes, there's nothing wrong with taking a little pride in your country..

Your three reasons are not in any way compelling the least bit and you really have to wonder about people who find it objectionable to take a little pride in their country otherwise consider the alternative being a sort of acrimony or mediocrity. I find a great many things objectionable in this country but that wouldn't in no way diminish the respect I would show my country.

As for your specific objections: 1) this is silly because having a different name wouldn't preclude you from the idea itself (silly semantics) and if you reject the idea as an atheist there couldn't be possibly any harm in the word and repeating it would have no consequence unless your unbelief manifests into a hostility, 2) there's no reason to consider the pledge of allegiance to your country "brainwashing" because I can assure you there isn't much of an education in either Iraq and North Korea but more to the point an example of indoctrination from my experience I recall the animated picture books showing me as a young child all those poor trees cut down with a field of stumps but as an adult I had to learn myself that the logging industry plants more trees than are ever cut down and it seems to me you are struggling to find a reason here, and 3) you are saying a pledge of allegiance to your country...Considering that you will live out your life here, work here, raise a family here, etc., etc. what would be so objectionable about a pledge to your country...Liberty and justice for all. It seems like your making something of nothing in terms of trying to find some fault to rationalize not having it and wanting nothing rather than something when even the most simple, bare minimal civic participation is somehow too burdensome.

• What's so bad about honoring our country?

I could see why this might be problematic with some people because of the "Under God" part, but seriously, why not say it? It just takes a few minutes to say it. Do people not care about the people who sacrificed their lives for this land? Do people not care about their freedom? The pledge shows that we're thankful of what the U.S. Gives us (That's what I believe) and I have seen my fellow classmates trying to sit down during it. On Buzzle.Com it says that the Pledge of Allegiance is to remember the people who fought for our country and to keep our freedom.

• Of course we should!

The Pledge of Allegiance is a promise to our country, hence the name. If you don't believe what it stands for than you don't deserve to be able to call yourself an American citizen. If you just don't want to say it than you're just a lazy, complaining, undeserving, ungrateful speck of mud under my boot #ha...Ha...Ha.

• No, it's sort of creepy.

If you were looking in at our practices from an outside perspective, you might agree:

Children with glazed eyes mindlessly chanting a series of tired words with their hands over their hearts staring blankly at a wall. (Since we did away with what is now recognized as the Nazi salute)

Children being reinforced to obey the laws of the government they live under.

I support the government, in fact I have to under oath. But to target children in their places of education before they can reasonably make logical decisions AND have them chant a pledge they don't understand and potentially may disagree with over 200 times a year seems a bit... Propaganda-ey. (That's the kind of thing we frown on other countries doing)

Freedom of choice shouldn't require us to say the pledge.

Freedom of religion shouldn't require we pledge to a specific god. (not that it so much matters which god, just that some may not want to say the pledge)

Freedom of speech should allow us to protest our government, even if that means refusing to give praise EVERY morning for the first 13 years of education we receive.

In a country of supposed freedom, the bottom line is you shouldn't have to say a pledge unless you want to.

• No for many reasons

For one, when children say the pledge, they don't really mean it. This is because it's forced. I don't disagree with most of the pledge, but once you say it every day for almost your entire life, it loses meaning. I think that it should bear meaning to those who believe in it, and that people who don't shouldn't feel obligated to say it. For this reason, I think that it should only be said at large important events, or something to the same effect.

• No for 3 reasons.

1. "Under God" statement. There are athiests and other religions that have a different name for God or have more than one God in them. The only reason we have that is because in the olden days when we were against the Soviets we said it to ourselves from them "commies". Different religions in America
    2. If we didn't say it everyday like we do and a Iraq or North Korea did, we would call this brainwashing. Its fine at sporting events and memorial events but not at school everyday.
    3. Why do we even say it? Its not hecause it is honoring the veterans. We and the kids are essential pledging your life to a country. Why say it everyday at least? And not saying it once in kindergarten?

• I just dont see any point.

I think that saying the pledge of aliegence in school would not benefit the childs education. It's fine if the kid wants to recite it before or after school but just dont make a huge deal out of it. I think that the time could be better spent focusing on other things.

• I just dont see any point.

• There is no point

There is no point because
    1. Its pretty creepy if you think about it. You have to do it everyday or else you are punished.
    2. Why do we do it?
    3. America isn't really free. We have gender bias, racism and much more.
    4. Its uncomfurtable for people who aren't Christian because of the "under god" part.
    5. If America is so free, shouldn't we be free to not say it?

• It should not be a forced or put in by school rule.

I do not think any child should have to do the pledge of allegiance. America is a free country, and the people who live their may not believe in the christian god or the pledge of allegiance. We shouldn't have to include it in school schedule, or make students follow it. Not everyone is a proud, gun hooting citizen who runs around with the bible in their back pocket.

• Not everyone's a proud America citizen.

We get perks, yeah. We have freedom, too, but that doesn't mean we enjoy how the government runs and the decisions that are made. I don't. I believe that most of what America does is best. And having to say the pledge of allegiance would make me feel uncomfortable. Not only because I don't wanna say it, but because we should have the right even if we are children/teens. I feel like saying it would make me just like everyone else and make it seem like I agree like everyone else. That I don't have an opinion.

Also think about exchange students. That might be uncomfortable for them or just weird.

Juan_Pablo says2014-11-03T05:13:52.083