Should we support Assad's Syrian Government (yes) or the Free Syrian Army Rebels (no) in the ongoing Syrian Civil War?

Asked by: Greematthew
  • Assad only legitimate leader

If you oppose assad, you support isis. If you are not part of the solution, you are the problem.
    Fund Syrian government and watch them take back the whole country and bring peace.

Long live Assad long live Syria

Say no to terrorists

Say no to us backed rebels.

• Yes: It's the better of two evils.

If you would have asked me this question near the beginning the the civil war, I would have gone with the rebels. However, these rebels have become hijacked by Al-Qaeda, going from a rebellion to a terrorist organization. In addition to that point, I support Assad over the rebels because of the fact that if the rebels defeat Assad, Syrian will become a radical Muslim country. If this wasn't bad enough, the radicalization would spread into Lebanon and Israel, which poses a threat to the only somewhat "secular" states in the Region.

• Should I cut off my left arm or my right arm?

This does bear an uncanny similarity to the western support for those lovely fellows in Afghanistan in the 1980s, the Mujahideen. Abiding by the 'The Enemy of My Enemy is My Friend' argument has had a severely detrimental effect on the world, especially in the Middle East. Assad is fascist, the FSA are Islamist; which one is worse? No one can judge which of the equally repressive ideologies is the least bad, so it should be left to sort itself out. The Syrian people will side with whichever side they want, and democracy is an inevitable result of time. Revolution is not the answer, we must leave Assad's regime in power so that the status quo becomes so intolerable that he has to introduce reforms and give way to democracy. All revolutions lead to undemocratic governments, and only through peaceful botton-up reform can a country truly become a democracy.

• False choice, both are evil.

This question was already asked in another form. We should support neither Assad's regime or the so-called rebels, which are really your garden variety collection of Al-Qaeda affiliated Islamic terrorists. So you essentially want to do what you say was so evil about Assad. Furthermore, the leaked video on the Internet looked staged in my opinion and without any concrete evidence you cannot even say such an attack ever occurred. America should steer clear and provide nothing to either side. Let our enemies fight among themselves.

• Involved not involvement - continue war on terror

Assad is evil, has done horrific things, but at present is the only one who can hold any sense of stability in Syria. Under his dictatorship the majority of people had much better level of life then they have now or would have under the rebels. If the rebels win, Syria will become a radical islamic state. Not sure we can really support Assad, so think the best solution is to continue our fight against terrorism - Al Qaeda and ISIS and rebels affiliated with them. If I have a choice between darkness and extreme darkness, would choose darkness however compelling the moral arguements may sound. Apart from that we shouldn't really be involved. The only rebels that have any sense about them are Syrian Democratic Forces. Support them in fight against ISIS.

• Assad is pro-West secular leader.

We should not be supporting jihadist insurrection in Syria. We should be encouraging rebels to stand down and leave country, so that some kind of peace and stability can be restored to the region and international efforts can be focused against the true villains in the picture, ISIS an Al Qaeda.

• Support the government fighting terrorism

Unless you like terrorism or a instability in the middle east, President Assad and his government are the only ones to support in the country for a return to one of the most stable countries in the middle east before the war. Thank you . . . . . .

• Assad's Baath party is based on "logic", wants a multiethnical Syria and freedom for women

As I stated: I do not care that Bush hates Assad, just 'cause Saudis hate Iran and thus they hate Assad (btw, he is the chief of his semitotalitarian Party. He is not Putin or Erdogan,, the lone Commander). Assad's Baath party is not a shiite one. They have christians, sunnies, shiites, alawites, yazigi, in Aassad's Syria.
    They have women in parliament. They have preserved the wold culturale heritage and produce the best wines and soaps in the world.
    Wahhabite Jihadis, like Ansar al Islam, Al Qaeda, Isis, they do hate culture, music, joy, women, everything. Just try to travel in Saudi Aarabia and...You don' want that. Surely uyou don't. So why for God's sake we hate Al Sisi, Assad, and we love soo much al Sauds and Erdogans?

• Support the Shia country.

It is a pretty simple question: whether you would make friends with Shia Muslims (Assad and his people) or Sunni Muslims (most rebel groups which are supported Saudi Arabia).
    Think about the difference between Iran (Shia) and Saudi Arabia (Sunni): the former is a more modernized and open-minded country, the later still implements the Sharia Law, abuses human rights, and exporting Islam and building schools around the world.

• Shia v.S. Sunni, I will choose to cooperate with Shia

• It can't get worse.

The genocide of your people through chemical weapons is just about the worst offense against the human race that can be committed. Perhaps some of the rebels are equivalent in their inhumanity, but many are not, and Syria is already a Muslim fundamentalist state under Sharia Law. The new government may be bad, but their is not much room to get worse.

• Support the Rebels

Assad has shown time and time again that he supports other terrorist organizations that are linked in aiding his government. He ordered the firing on innocent people protesting to begin this entire armed conflict. His use of chemical weapons and utter resistance to any form of falling back is why we the US should aid the Syrian Rebels.

• We should support NOBODY!

Staying out is the best option. We should stay out, not get involved except for delivering aid and helping those who need help, and help out citizens who want to escape. That's the option which will probably will get the least people to hate us. It also will not get our hands dirty. Supporting Assad is supporting genocide and the Free Syrian Army could have some ISIS members. This is the best option.

• Assad should rot in Hell!!!

Assad is a sadistic psychopath, who should be executed by firing squad, along with his wife. I've always despise his regime. All tyrants shall suffer a premature end. Adolf Hiter is more of a comparison towards Assad's dictatorship. I wish someone would simply fire a bullet straight into Assad's corrupted ideas. Fascism is usally considered pure evil at best. The United Nations should slay the lion, while he is relaxing within his dark throne. Milosevich ecounted his downfall by the hands of citizens with revolutionary agendas. Mussolini was executed by his own regime. An endless battalion of bullets dragged Ceausescu's soul straight into the fires of hades. Assad should be classifed as a tyannical monster, and the representation of a cold-blooded individual, with the decision of operating an Arab holocaust.

• The Syrian government should win.

The Syrian government, based on what al-Assad said, will change. He said that they just needed more time. The rebels have become a terrorist organization, and if we let them win, they will invade other countries and become one. This is, of course, the ultimate goal of ISIS. Once again, I support the government.

• Support of Assad Is Support of Genocide

He Forces Children In schools to say "I sacrafice My BLood And MY soul To Assad" not to God but Assad. Sad very sad. And if they don't they are tortured and killed. When Mothers complain to the police they say GO FUCK yourself and make more babies. This Dictator should be no more. The rebels want peace. They aren't teamed up with al queda or IS that is false rehtoric used to scare the uneducated into going on Assads side.

• Assad is evil

Assad is evil - remove him immediately. He kills innocent people. Support the FSA, they are fighting against the dictatorship Assad regime. To those of you saying the FSA is hijacked/backed by Al Qaeda, you are completely wrong. FSA is also at a war with Al Qaeda and Islamists. Assad is evil.

• Free Syrian Army

There are no good choices here. This is a messy civil war where they are good and bad parties on both sides. However, due to the Assad's regimes ability to use chemical weapons on their own citizens including children, I feel like we should throw moral support behind the Free Syrian Army.

• Worst idea ever

Syria. Its a country where we are hated for not believing in their own religion. Its stupid to think my president is about to send my nations troops into a place where they will be brutally killed for trying to help someone who hates us. Once we are done helping them, their just going to turn around and start killing us off.

• Assad isn't fit to live let alone Govern

Assad is a war criminal assuming they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt he was responsible for the chemical weapons attack, why would you support such an oppressive regime? It is clear that the syrian people do not want him in power and many i'm sure would rather see him dead, the FSA is fighting against what is wrong, a new leader must emerge and stabilize the region