Should we "teach the controversy" on Evolution vs Creationism?

Asked by: MysticEgg
  • Maybe depending on...

If taught as part of a social studies or political science class or religious class, absolutely! There is a debate among lay people, it's taken a huge part of the culture war in religious societies. I that context yes. As part of a science curriculum at a public school.... Probably not

• As a cultural aspect, yes.

Everyone should know of the issues of the world. Personally, I'm an atheist, I don't believe in God. But I do think that our children should be taught as a cultural thing that "hey, here's what some of the big issues in society are" which should, of course, be based on what is going on at the time (years ago, WW2 or Vietnam. Now, War on Terror and other things happening in politics). However, since science and religion are basically indefinite things that will (theoretically) continue forever battling, it should definitely be noted as a massive cultural divider. Perhaps not to go into massive depth on the issue, but certainly no one should be ignorant of it since it does have extreme relevance and all people will, eventually, have to decide what they believe.

• Evolution is scientific, Creation is dogma, there is no "debate"

The simple fact that there is a debate bugs me, there is no evidence whatsoever for creation. None. Anyone who quotes the second law of thermodynamics doesn't know the law, especially the part where it says "closed system". Evolution has been proven again and again so many times its not even funny, it's a better proven theory then gravity. Creation's only proof is some 2000 year old book written by people without any means of understanding the world. People still believing in this dogma are outdated and stubborn.
    P.S: this isn't about whether god exists, I believe he does in some senses of the world, but I would still call myself a creationist.

• It should be a choice

The whole idea that the human race was "placed" on the planet should only be taught if the student chooses to actually pick the class. Creationism and religion do not belong in a science classroom. Also the school has no right to force the students into learning either one of them without the students discretion.

• Political Correctness is corrupting education.

If the education system wastes their limited time and resources on theories that are obvious attempts to maintain a literal interpretation of the bible they might as well teach the possibilities of fairies in our gardens. Creationism is a direct assault on logic and reason in that it is lead by faith rather than reason in hopes to assuage anxieties of living in this universe.

• Not at all.

First, we would have to teach every controversy.
    Second, there is no controversy between the people who know what they're studying and doing.
    Third, truth is not a democracy, outcries won't affect it in any way.
    Fourth, Creationism is religious and has no place in a Science classroom.
    Fifth, if anything, we should teach evolution more, so people don't fall for the religious dogma that can be forced upon them.

• What controversy? Says science

The Theory of Evolution is one of the best supported theories in all of science. There is no controversy among scientists. Yes there is controversy among laypeople, but this has no bearing on what should be taught in science class. Science should be taught in science class not the pet theories of lay people.
    If its been said once its been said 1000 times if you think evolution is false and creationism is true produce the data and write your peer reviewed paper and collect your Nobel prize.