Should we thank smokers and the obese for their financial contribution to society?

Asked by: MasturDbtor
  • They die younger and save us money!

Studies prove that smokers and the obese die younger and on average that means that individual is saving society money. It costs more to provide care for healthy non-smokers, non-obese people into their older years than it does to provide extra care for smoking and obesity related health problems. We should thank them for making choices that contribute to our saving money!

I'm not going to smoke or eat a bunch of junk food, since I personally care more about my own personal health than saving society money but a round of applause for those saving us all money!

• Their Money Spends, Too!

Now, if you are implying that smokers & the obese actually cost society money ... That's only partially true. Let's not forget the financial burdens society bears from the drug users & alcoholics staggering around. I've never heard of a smoker committing a crime just to buy a pack of cigarettes. I've never heard of an obese person committing a crime for a box of donuts. But it's a well-known fact that alcoholics commit crimes (incl. Murder), in their drunken stupors. We've all heard stories about crimes committed for "drug money" (incl. Murder). Most smokers & obese individuals work, as scheduled. They may eat a greasy cheeseburger & fries at lunch? Or smoke a couple of cigs? Still, they financially contribute. When drugs & alcohol take control, the individuals don't go to work. Or worse, they stumble into the workplace high or hung-over. Neither is productive. All four vices take a toll on health insurance, Medicaid & Medicare. So, if you consider the whole picture, it could be said that obesity & smoking are the lesser of these evils.

• I don't see why not.

Why not? Their money is just as good as anyone else's. If you're suggesting that because they're smokers/obese, means that they're creating negative aspects to our society, it still makes little to no difference about how they can or cannot contribute financially. Thanking may be a little much, however. Do we thank everyone else for their contributions? If so, then the same should be done for smokers and obese people. If not, then nothing should be done.

• Thanks for killing yourself!

Dear people who buy their own deaths,
    Thank you so much for contributing your hard earned money to the system. It really helps money circulate! Your short lives were remembered for your great service to the nation. I honor you, brave people who sacrifice your lives to the greater good.

• No, we shouldn't.

I have no problem with smokers. But, the obese only contribute to visual pollution by being a human in it's worst form. It looks nasty, it makes my lose faith in humanity when I see it, and I have to deal with the size of there body when they're busy wobbling around a hallway and i'm trying to get around. They're a burden on society, and they make America look bad as the world's second fattest nation. We should be cursing the obese.

• This argument is based on incomplete facts

Studies prove that smokers and the obese die younger and on average that means that individual is saving society money. It costs more to provide care for healthy non-smokers, non-obese people into their older years than it does to provide extra care for smoking and obesity related health problems. “

This does not include the cost in educating and training these people and lost opportunity cost. The money these people could of earned if they where fit and healthy. In the US this estimated to be a loss of $92 billion a year.

There are no financial upside to these people dying younger.

Smokers and the obese should not be thanked. As they cost us more money not less. Unless we decide to tax them more or deny them medical care

http://www.Smokefreepartnership.Eu/news/cost-tobacco-use

• It's not just because of those 2

Me being a former obese American and a smoker at one time, I definitely feel they contribute a bit more than the average person. Especially smokers since they don't realize exactly how much they spend on such a nasty habit. But, there are other contributions in society. Such as the Government?