• Tolerance avoids violence.

By any given principle, any belief that harms another human being is inherently wrong. This applies to freedom of religion. Tolerating someone's beliefs does not mean subscribing to those beliefs as well; if you are a hardcore atheist and simply cannot stand your Jewish neighbor's beliefs, it is not an acceptance of those beliefs if you choose to ignore their existence entirely.

• Respect religion? No. Tolerate religion? Yes.

Respect religion, honor, revere? No! Religion has outlived it's usefulness. We know what causes tides, day and night, thunder and lightning... And we can have great bloody battles without waving a religious flag. There is no room on this earth for intolerance of culture, colour, gender ID or inequality of gender or wealth. Tolerance of religion, however, must exist until free thought and reason can take over. We all should try to do some small thing in that effort.

• Do we tolerate child abuse?

If it were made illegal to indoctrinate and inculcate people into religion until they have reached the age of reason, religion would disappear within 2 or 3 generations. Filling a child's head with mythology presented as fact is not only abusive it is pure unadulterated evil.

Then, to ask that that evil be treated specially, and given preference or deference is absolutely insane.

Lastly, there isn't a single religion that is tolerant of any other religion. If they don't believe alike, the kill each other.

Inane nonsense. All of it.

• We should tolerate religion.

We life in a free society where all beliefs are equal. Everyone has the right to their own opinions, and it's important for everyone be life in peace and harmony. We need to tolerate different opinions even if we disagree with them. Otherwise, society would dissolve into discord and violence.

• Yes, because to do otherwise would be backward

The "we" in this question could I suppose apply to anybody, but it's implied through the use of the word tolerate that we are the non-religious. As a religious person, let me reword the question:

Should you tolerate religion?

Yes you should. The arguments so frequently levelled against religion are better aimed at the whole of humanity when we are at our worst. Cambodia and parts of the history of the USSR have shown us that atheists can be just as bigoted and cruel as anyone else. Add to this the fact that non-religious people make up around 13% of the total world population as of 2012, and the question "Should we tolerate religion" suddenly seems incredibly narrow in its outlook, like a British person asking if we should tolerate non-Europeans. Why should someone whose worldview represents that of only a tenth of the people in the world be allowed to dictate what is and is not tolerated?

• Religion as a search for truth

I think that, as long as religion is thought to be the search for truth, rather than truth itself, meaning everything else that contradicts with it is wrong, religion may very well even help scientific progress. But when people think of it as truth itself, which is the case for the majority of people, it is nothing but a retardation for human progress.

• Sometimes

Yes, but only to a certain extent. We should tolerate people who hold religious beliefs. We should not however tolerate actions simply because they come from a religious body, and we should not respect religion to the point where we refuse to criticize it. In my opinion, we certainly should not tolerate any attempts made to teach pseudoscience like creationism in public school for example.

• Yes, it should be tolerated for the good it does.

Religion provides a good framework for families to raise children and gives people a sense of a place in the world and some meaning to their lives. It encourages people to try to live good lives, and most religions do not cause harm to others. There is not an argument that I can see against that. We should strive to live and let live, and only have intolerance towards people whose beliefs entail causing harm to others.

• Yes, religion is important for many people

Religion is an important part of every day life for many people. Lots of good comes from religious organizations. This question probably stems from the negative things that come from religion, but show me any one thing that only has positives and no negative aspects. Religion does a lot of good. We should be willing as a society to put limits on religion, which we have done with the separation of Church and State, and the freedom to worship as we please.

• Religion Should Be Tolerated

Of course we should tolerate religion. How could we not? There are millions of religious people in the world and it would be absolutely wrong to tell them what to believe in or that they cannot partake in religious practices. That would be wrong on so many levels and would not be right.

• Define "religion". I think the question is should we give faith based community groups special treatment.

Unfortunately, most of the world’s population does not mature past high school mentality and while the rest of us "cause and effect" people are "keeping the wheels on the bus" making sure people are fed and clothed the "wish, luck, change, magic" population needs to believe in a higher power. Many "religions" give these people a way for them to forgive themselves when they fail to live up to their own standards. Teaching children how to share and live with others using fables and parables is fine but at some point you need to mature past believing Santa is real and there is life after high school and accept that you can live side by side with others that don’t support your “team”. With so many law makers and world leaders still acting like the only thing that matters is who wins next Fridays football game human kind will never mature past that level. As others have pointed out community groups can be a good thing that promote good works and helping the less fortunate but to say that one group has a privileged status because it is defined as a “religion” over the local women’s rotary group or Shriners club just leads to more “us and them” thinking. I feel sorry for the “true believers” locked in their small realities unable to “see” the world is round and live like animals in the zoo that do not even know they are in cages.

• Do we tolerate viruses?

We do not tolerate viruses that can kill people simply because some people may be immune (e.g. West Nile Fever). We should not tolerate the virus of the mind that is religion either. For it (religion) clearly makes many people sick since they can persecute and denigrate women or homosexuals and even commit murder and other unspeakable acts, all in the name of their religion. We need to inoculate the world against the religion virus by rational secular education of all children that is indoctrination free.

• I don't think so.

To tolerate something means to put up with something or allow something even though we're against it. We shouldn't tolerate religion; rather, we should embrace it. If we embrace religion, then we wouldn't be tolerating it. You can't tolerate something you agree with. You can only tolerate something you oppose. If you agree with it, then there's nothing to tolerate.

• Metaphor for understanding my thoughts

Religions are vehicles for the ignorant that allow them to go through life running people over and keep on going, all the time thinking,' well my vehicle is clearly the best ever made, and if these people really cared for themselves, they would get one just like mine, and if they don't, I'm justified in destroying them cause it says so in my owners manual.'
    Grow up, think for yourself.

• Religion poisons everything.....

The easiest way for someone to discover where you stand on the argument is to educate yourself. The best way I found to educate myself was to watch formal religious debates held at forums such as universities. Christopher Hitchens. Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins would be a great starting point...Educate yourself...You will see for yourself...

• Religion poisons everything....

The easiest way for a believer to at least question their belief, which anyone would agree is healthy, is to educate themselves on the argument. The best way I found to educate myself was to watch formal religious debates. Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins would be a good place to start....You will see for yourself.

• Of Course NO! But showing outright intolerance may not help us change the world.

It's all because of this "back fire effect” that makes it very difficult to convince believers into abandoning their religion. I learned that facts don't win arguments nowadays. We need to change our approach when debating especially with intolerant religious people. Understanding and showing more empathy might prove them that we are helping them to open their minds and walk away from their skewed realities they are living in.

Http://bigthink.Com/think-tank/the-backfire-effect-why-facts-dont-win-arguments

• NO! But Showing intolerance to religion will retaliates back to us. Why?

It's all because of this "back fire effect” that makes it very difficult to convince believers into abandoning their religion. I learned that facts don't win arguments nowadays. We need to change our approach when debating especially with religious people. Understanding and showing more empathy might prove them that we are helping them to open their minds and walk away from their skewed realities they are living in.

• Tolerate religion ?

No. Religion is obsolete and downright foolish.

Apparently I need more words, despite my very clear point here. A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 0 1 2 3 4 5

• Tolerate religion ?