Should wealth and income inequality be fixed?

Asked by: GRand
  • Inequality is bad and it should be fixed.

I think wealth and income inequality is bad for the American society. Inequality is against American values of egalitarianism and anti-aristocracy. Our founding fathers hoped to create a country where everyone has equal opportunities to succeed. Inequality dispair the great American dream. We should fix it. Inequality is bad for society.

• Wealth Inequality is detrimental to society

Just look at the World's income gap! How is it right that a mere 2% of the World's population owns 40% of the world's wealth?! Only crazy people would think that's ok...
    I think that it is the duty of a progressive society to redistribute wealth in a fair way. That doesn't mean that everyone should get exactly the same wage, but you can't say that you "deserve" 10 billion dollars a year because you're a CEO.
    I mean c'mon let's be reasonable!

• How do we know when we reach income equality?

All this talk about income equality, I wonder when we will know that we have achieved it. Does income equality mean everyone makes the same wage? Or everyone doing the same job get equal pay no matter how productive you are? Who decides what is equal income, politicians? Can we trust that our government will be fair in providing laws for income equality?

• I only say no because you are suggesting socialism or communism

There will always be income inequality. Those who have worked hard and become successful will have some wealth, those who don't won't. There is no perfect society and there never will be because we are imperfect beings. Inequality in wealth should be an incentive to work hard and be successful it should not be used to cry "poor me" I don't have as much as someone else. Distributing wealth equally would work in a Utopian place but we are not there. In this country it would just provide more of an incentive for people to feel entitled and we have enough of that already.

• " Inequality is against American values of egalitarianism and anti-aristocracy.", but since when are these American values?

Egalitarianism and aristocracy have been a staple in America for years and years with corporations acting as the aristocrats and Egalitarianism actually being a progressive element instead of a regressed one with the Fair Labor Standards Act only being passed in the 20th century less than 100 years ago! If nothing else the entire goal for the persons was profit without allegiance thus why capitalism is the mascot for the American economy but sadly it came at any cost; from child labor which we now see as barbaric to legal situations that were basically slavery with no guarantee to ever fulfill the contracts and plenty of ways out of them it's simply hard to see the values denoted.