Should wearing a burqa be banned in public places?

Asked by: CitizenL
  • IF we all wore a ski mask crime would be rampant. The burqa should not be allowed in public places

It is not religious freedom to conceal your identity, at least not in the U.S. Do you want to live in a world where you have to enter public places with people wearing these? Of course not, you cannot see them and with the robe you have no idea what weapon is being concealed. Nobody wants to enter a business where all the employees are wearing ski masks or worse yet the supermarket or mall. Wake up America, ISIS is coming to a theater near you and not in a good way. Security trumps this hiding of identity. Many European countries have done it, we need to do it too. The burqa has no place in post 911 America. If you wear a ski mask while driving a car most likely you would be pulled over by the police. If you are wearing a burqa, you should be too. I am all for my personal rights and those of others but the burqa does not qualify just as the ski mask doesn't.

• It's culture. It does not infringe freedom of religion.

Islam claims its religious because then we'll leave them alone. I for one know its a cultural thing and a barbaric one at the best of times. Many woman who wear a burqa are too afraid to express their opinion because of the shear peer pressure they find themselves under. Men force their woman to wear the burqa and in Islam what the man says goes. So much for equality and freedom.

Scholars differ over female dress because of the words "except what must ordinarily appear thereof." Some believe that the hands and the face must ordinarily appear in the course of a woman going about her day, and that a full face veil isn't required. After all, if Muhammad meant for women to be completely covered, then why would men be instructed in the very same passage to avert their gaze in the name of modesty?

People throwing the freedom of religion rights are ignorant and lazy.

• Security and women's control - Islam is not compatible in a democracy

I know of male criminals who have used the burka t avoid detection, this is ridiculous, I also think it controls women something which is wrong in a democratic society. They also scare children - I recall explaining to my sons why they were fully covered up...Crazy in western democracies

• What the burqas represent

As a liberal American I agree with banning this icon of extremism. Not because of the implied religious aspect but because of the implications of what covering means when allowed to be applied only on women. While it may seem contradictory for a woman to say women shouldn't be allowed to chose how to represent her religion, the reason is simple. Why do we all try to combat when women choose to be in an abusive relationship? Because just because someone can justify their subjugation doesn't make it right. When men are expected to wear burqas as well as part of their religion, then I'll change my mind on why they should be allowed.

• Kjkk kjkjk jk

Jjknkjnjknj k j j kn jk ijjink n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n nn n n n n n n n n n nn n n n n nn n n n n n n n

• In many Muslim countries,

Women lack gender equality and basic rights; therefore, the Burqa may seem to be another example of control. Iran is rated the sixth lowest country of gender equality. Are we really lacking as much equality as Iran? Women of a Muslim culture are forced into wearing a burqa because they believe that their God (Allah) says that they must wear one. If we ban the burqa in public places, Muslim women wouldn't be forced into wearing it making everyone equal.

• Ban the burqa

I personally think that it should be banned because it is not fair that a man/woman has got of a motorbike and has to take of their helmets when they go in to a shop. So why should they be able to keep the burqa on. It is not fair.

• Ban the burqa

• This is 2015

In the modern day, women should not be oppressed by anything, especially not a simple item of clothing, but the Burqa is far from just this. People would judge women who do wear it more than if they didn't, and make previous assumptions on who they are.
    It would be viewed as a strange thing to wear a robbers mask, a balaclava or a helmet in public, yet why do we go ahead and allow this to go on without even mentioning that of course this is creating a barrier between them and the rest of the world, when what they really need, especially when their reputation is seriously at steak due to terrible things that some muslims have done, is to show people that they are just like us, and stop making this barrier, almost like a uniform to a school, or a label, showing that they are different.
    This needs to stop. SHOW YOURSELVES. The world will be better with another story...

• Serious double standards

If a person walks through the street wearing a balaclava they will be stopped by police and ordered to remove it, but if a person walks through the street wearing a burqa that's fine?
    I also find it hilarious that Muslims preach about freedom of expression when Islam itself is a religion based on forcing people to conform to its doctrines and punishing them with death if they refuse.

• Fear-mongering does not constitute the loss of religious rights

I disagree due to the my belief that people have the right to practice whatever religious beliefs however strange or different from the belief are from your own. The burqa is a religious item. People have the right especially in America, at least, on that almost holy sheet of paper to practice their religion in the way that they see fit. The only reason a religious practice should not be allowed is if it violates someone else's rights. The main rights being life, liberty, and property(pursuit of happiness). Now perhaps I am overlooking some of the effects of burqas but never have I seen a burqa take someone's life, liberty, or property. So the only thing you, as the one who fears the burqa, lose is ease of mind. Ease of mind is neither a natural right or a right at all. So in this case the only rights being violated is the one wearing a burqa. I will give that security can trump identity but security does not violate the rights of an individual unless the right of the individual tramples the rights of the societal body.

Long story short: Burqa's should be allowed as banning them only reduces the rights guaranteed to an individual.

• No no no

Although i am not a Muslim myself i believe that they should not be banned in public places. It is their religion and their choice, you wouldn't go and tell someone to take off a religious necklace for example, so why ban them. Even if you don't feel comfortable with someone wearing a burqa, you should not go against their religious freedom. Everybody has the right to religion!

• Wearing a mask in public does not increase crime rates

People in Japan wear surgical masks all the time because of pollution. Just slap on some sunglasses and you have an effective identity concealer. However, how much crime does Japan have? Not much.

My point is banning the burqa will not do anything to reduce crime. Instead of ski masks, people can wear hoodies and sunglasses to conceal their identity. This is just blatant discrimination against muslims.

• Fear mongering is not an excuse

While I understand the fact that it covers ones face, and this causes a distrust among those who do not wear them. Your personal ideas on what constitutes a danger should not restrict the religious rights of those who do not agree. A woman wearing a burqa does not affect your natural rights of life, liberty, or property(pursuit of happiness). One should not have to sacrifice his religious freedom to make you feel more comfortable. It is also slightly offensive to compare a religious object to one that has no connotation other than to prevent your identity from being known as you rob a store or to keep you warm as you go ski.

Long story short your comfort level should not affect another individual's religious freedom.

• The Burqa in my opinion should not be banned

This is because women have their own freedom of choice, the government should not get to decide what their citizens can and can not wear. Furthermore, wearing the Burqa is what muslim women believe in, it is there religion. We should no judge people by what they decide to wear, not all muslims are terroists

• Would trap women

If women can't wear their burquas, they will be stuck at home. I am a feminist and can't allow that.​​​​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​​​​​ ​ ​ ​

• They'll never take our freedom

People should be allowed to wear burquas, balaclavas, ski masks and such for modesty and warmth. No reason is worth being immodest or freezing one's nose off. People should have the right to dress as they choose, whether it's fully nude or fully covered, and religious fredom should be protected.

• Modesty is important

The world would be more secure if we all went out naked, but we don't do that because of modesty. ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​

• One word "Freedom"

You cant just ban something just because you dont like its appearance.
    And it is important for others. And you should respect that. And unlike the rumors, not in every women in every muslim country is forced to wear burqa, yes in two or more countries women must wear hijab but it doesn't look like burqa. And women should be allowed to wear whatever they want wherever they want.

• Absolutely not at all.

Freedom of expression, freedom of religion, freedom of choice. Yes, there are women who are forced to wear them, but there are those who wear them of their own accord and should be allowed to, whether or not we completely agree with the practice. It would just be a way to oppress a cultural and religious - no, not all Muslims believe they are necessary, but some do - practice, and it's an overly specific ban.

Vox_Veritas says2015-01-12T19:31:03.633
No.
BillyBobbyIII says2015-01-12T23:03:29.460
If someone knows how I will remove my second comment. I accidentally submitted twice.