• We don't need it.

There is no need. We are getting lazier and lazier and people should learn to work for themselves, instead of off of the government. And some might say, "children need it," but, if you can't afford living for yourself, don't have children. Easy as that. Therefore; welfare should be eliminated.

• Welfare should be banned.

First of all, welfare is theft. Perhaps theft with good intentions, but still theft. Compassion and charity is not the issue. The issue is forcible fulfillment of the duty of charity. Let those who feel obligated to support the abandoned illegitimate children of strangers and others to do so. But leave others to wrestle with their consciences as they see it.
    Also, many people believe that welfare helps people who cannot support their children. They say that welfare helps those single mothers who can't help their kids or themselves. These mothers complain that they are doing back-breaking work in order to do their best to support their children. That might be so for some mothers, but many others try to have many children just to receive more welfare. Even if the mother had a child and thought that she could take care of the child, but couldn't, she could still send that child to a foster home or adoption home. There are approximately 400,540 foster homes in the United States and 32% of them are empty.
    Third, welfare is not helping our country overall. Welfare is doing a lot of things that are harming our country as a whole. It is raising taxes, bringing up unemployment rates, and increasing the homeless populations.

• Depends on You

If your abusing the welfare then it should be eliminated for you. In reality there should be more questions and more evidence and proof to be asked. Before you receive welfare. Because honestly people depend on it too much. Only those that really need welfare, should receive welfare not some random people that are just wanting it. People that "need" it should get it, not people that "want" it.

• This is Democracy

The top 5% pays 60% of the taxes while the lower 95% takes on 40%. 63.5% of wealth is held by the top 5%. I don't know about you, but simple business tells me that someone has to pay for everything and that those people are carrying thousands of people who have turned these benefits into a work of corruption. Maybe there aren't any jobs because keeping your own money in this country has become such a hard thing to do that would-be business owners can't fulfill their dreams. Why work when you can sit on your couch and withdraw? I may not be rich, but seeing a government take out money from my checks to give to others who haven't deserved it seems quite contrary to a country founded for opportunity and success - failure IS an option if you want to have a chance at progression.

• Welfare needs to be banned

People should make their own living and not slob up hard working people's tax d haveollars. No one should have to take care of welfare children. If you need government assistance you don't need kids. We need to stop all these trashy people popping out kids so they can get their handouts

• Drug addicts is the Culprit

Here in this county in Oregon, food stamps are abused!! Nobody but lowlife druggies use food stamps because they can't pass a drug test to get a job! Or a life! Some of these people have kids for Christ's sake! What America Really needs is a WAKE UP CALL and get off their lazy asses and get a job! It's not that hard!

• They should contribute to society.

The welfare program should be for a short time. It shouldn't allow people to do nothing. They should have work to do in order to get the money. No one should ever be rewarded with cash that everyone else works hard for, by doing nothing.
    The jobs should be the jobs no one really wants to do to discourage people from going on welfare.... It's very irritating. When I was living with my mom. I worked 15 hours week even though I would make the same amount on welfare, I refused to go on it.

• End welfare & restore freedom.

Simple, a system that extorts property & labor from one group to give to another is slavery. This is not hyperbole & just because they outsource the use of force to gov makes no difference. There is no logical & rational case to support welfare. It's evidenced by the fact those that support it only make emotive arguments. Emotive arguments have no standing in rational debate. In short f your feelings. No doubt bleeding hearts are calling me monster & a slew of other derogatory terms in a feeble attempt to dehumanize me & "emotivly justify" my enslavement to their subjective notion of justice, but thats what one would expect from a slaver.

"I don't mind paying taxes for welfare" - well good for you
    Expressing your willingness to self immolat doesn't get you virtue points in a rational debate. In fact it's quite opposite.
    The fact you think the talking point has merit is a testament to the skill of your indoctrinator. So on your behalf I'll brake down the statement to either cure your ignorance or prove your idiocy.

I don't mind paying... Well your consent to it is as superfluous as mine. The gov doesn't demand consent, only submission in the form property. Just because you consent doesn't confer an obligation to consent to others. I abhor rape & would never seek to justify the rapists philosophy of consent. Now that you're good & p.O. Answer me this. Why aren't you content to donate via charity? Why must you empower gov to economically rape me? Are my children not deserving enough? What will you do as ppl stripped of their ability to exist independent of gov handouts decide to die on their feet instead of living on their knees? What happens when the victims revolt? OrDo you really think those taxed into poverty are ignorant to the cause of their destitution?

• Welfare is people taking advantage of the government.

Unless you are disabled, then you can work. Every time I see a healthy person collecting welfare its a burden on working Americans. When working people retire they don't really get enough from their social security while we have many people who don't want to work collecting from the working people.

• Welfare really sucks

Why should people work hard and pay taxes for people that don't work and possibly sell drugs .So what if people need it ,people work hard to make a living for THEIRE family not for some crack head that t has no job or that sells drugs for a living

• No it shouldn't

It will do more damage than good,you have more crime then you ever seen. More victims innocent children being hurt by this. If anything they should put more strict stimulations on it such as a2 child limit. A set assistance amount should be given whether you have 2 children or 15

• Most Welfare Programs Have Been Eliminated

The amount of welfare programs within the United States have been drastically reduced over the last ten years or more. Further eliminating welfare programs would almost have to include the elimination of food stamps and I think that would be a huge mistake. I think people assume there are a lot of welfare programs, when truthfully, there aren't.

• NO Hungry Children

In a nation where the top 1% control 40% of the wealth, it is inconceivable that we would question whether or not to feed the poor. A nation will be summed up by how it takes care of its most vunerable, our children. In a perfect world all parents would be loving, married, educated, and responsible. However, we all know this is not the case. Taking food from hungry children is unethical, period. You can argue all day long about how giving handouts creates irresponsibility. When one child is hungry is a nation awash in greed, that argument is DOA. And for those who would take the food out of the mouths of the hungry, I hope you never find yourself out of work or unemployed, and out of funds. I hope you never have to try and get a hungry child to go to sleep, who cries because their belly is empty. I hope you never have to see the scorn in the eyes of the well fed as they judge your shabby appearance. Just stop for a minute and ask yourself would I take food away from a hungry child in person? Would you say, "because your mommy or daddy is lazy, no food for you!"? That is what you are suggesting we do as a nation and I will not stand for this. Being generous as a nation to the poor is not something we will be judged poorly for, but being heartless will bring us nothing but disgrace. Peace.

• But definitely reformed

Welfare can prevent individuals from going bankrupt which would damage our economy. Yes, children deserve nourishment no matter how lazy or terrible their parents are. Yes, fraud exists and part of the reform I'd propose would serve to eliminate it to the maximum ability (it will never be perfect). Yes, abuse exists...Foodstamps should not allow luxury or desserts. I'm not saying just government cheese but not birthday cake or ice cream. Sorry, don't need it! It should be similar to unemployment in the requirement for working, except in cases where it's not possible, such as physical disabilities or where child care absolutely requires a non-working household in extreme cases. Those cases should be the exception, not the rule.

• Don't eliminate welfare, it really does help.

While welfare appears to be very controversial, I think it really does help the people who are currently on it. Welfare should not be extended to someone for forever, but available to people who just need a boost and some help to get going again. Without welfare, I think the poorest people in the United States would be in a much worse place.

• No but they should be changed

I have worked in the food industry and countless times I have had customers use their food stamps on sodas, energy drinks, candy and junk food. Welfare programs should help those who are trying to get a job or literally can't get a job. Many people take advantage of the system and are stealing from tax payers.

• No, people need a safety net.

Food stamps are a necessary welfare program to help people who do not have jobs feed themselves and their families. When someone is out of a job they need that basic necessity. The same holds for cash aid to pay rent and utilities, but people receiving cash aid should be made to work for it. They are technically saying that the reason they don't have money to do those things is because they don't have a job, so they should be given one. In particular, the welfare programs that are bleeding the system are the ones that give support to single mothers with children who wanted the child but had no means for supporting the child. They just get a check, and technically their bills are paid by other people, and they are getting paid for having a child, as if people who work for a living don't. They should be made to work.

• Welfare programs should not be eliminated, but the qualifications should be redone.

Welfare programs were designed to help those who really need the help. Many people on welfare could not survive without it. Many people on welfare truly need it. However, the system has been abused. Many people on welfare programs do not need to be on them. They need to be part of an education system or job training system instead.

• Drug addicts is the Culprit

• We need the welfare system.

While there might be alot of reasons to eliminate it, there are so many more to keep it, for example, it can help pay for food stamps, it can help pay for college so you wont end up like your parents in poverty, and there are so many other benifits like medicare that can help save lives, our welfare system should not be eliminated, it may need duasticaly changed but removing it all together would do more harm that good.