Should welfare recipients be banned from buying lottery tickets?

• They cheat the system already, why should we help them even more?

They cheat the social welfare system so they don't have to work. If they want to buy a lottery ticket, they should go get a job at a local fast food restaurant. It isn't that there aren't jobs around it is just they don't want to work for money when they can get the money without work from the government.

-Al Carter

• If you are on welfare then you shouldn't be spending the little money that you have on lottery tickets, but on your kids.

If you are on welfare you obviously need financial help. So you shouldn't be spending my tax money so that you can gamble. Get your own job and spend your own money on that stupid waste of money -- not mine. And they should also be drug tested so that I'm not paying for their drugs.

• Welfare recipients should not be allowed to gamble with government funds

From everything I have seen, heard, and read, welfare money barely stretches to meet the necessities in life. There is no money for the little extras and there is certainly no money for games of chance. Recipients that buy lottery tickets are taking food and clothing away from themselves and their dependents. If welfare recipients feel they have the money to gamble with, then the 'system' should reevaluate their welfare status.

• Welfare money is for food.

The money is for food, not the lottery. If they really need to be on welfare, the money should be going toward their WELFARE, not the lottery. If they have enough extra money to purchase lottery tickets, then they don't truly need the welfare check they receive every month to support themselves.

• Why should my tax dollars give them a chance to get rich

Are they going to give the taxpayers back the winnings if they strike it rich? Probably not. They will say the winnings belong to them. Bull, they belong to the taxpayers who have been supporting their lazy lifestyle. Welfare recipients should get enough to barely get by. No cars. No phones. No booze. No cable. No TV. No computers. No iPads. No lottery tickets. If they want all of that they can get off of their a**es and get a job!

• Let's be honest here.

It's mainly the (purple) people. For example purple guy comes in my store grabs a soda and a bag of chips then he's trying to shove candy bar in his pocket then he realizes I'm watching so he comes to the counter, "hey brah let me get dat 20 dollar ticket" so he then reaches down to his knees where apparently his pockets are and pulls out a roll of 20s and a food stamp card. "I sorry sir we don't accept food stamps"me, purple guy no longer want the drink and chips but still buy the 20 dollar ticket and a blunt wrap.

• Let's be honest here.

• Let's be honest here.

• They are getting tax money so they can spend there cash on lottery tickets. Really !!

If you have money throw away gambling than you don't need tax assistance programs.. I work at a convenience store and I see it every day, It is ridiculous, they will play lottery using the cash they have and then turn around and use there food stamp card to buy products.

• Yes they should

It's my money that i worked for so if you win the lottery with it some of that money should go to me. Your so poor you need to to pay for your food but than you to we get lottery tickets? Welfare isn't for that. Your taking money that Could be used for actual starving pekoe and using or fork lottery tickets?.

• No they have a right

This was a tough decision. I think if you are receiving welfare you should obviously be putting the money towards providing for your family, but playing the lottery a little bit should not be banned. If you have a gambling problem you should not receive welfare but if you just play occassionally I don't see an issue with it.

• We shouldn't discriminate against welfare recipients.

I understand where you would come from to think about banning welfare recipients from buying lotto tickets, but it is short sighted. I think that it is also ignorant and discriminatory. As long as a person is not wasting all of their money on the lotto tickets, it should be their own business.

• Give them a chance

I'm pretty sure welfare recipients don't want to be on welfare. It would be awesome if they could purchase a lottery ticket and get THE HELL OFF OF WELFARE. Let the muthalovas win something so that they don't continue to have nothing. Banning lottery from them is retarded and its too controlling of their lives. Everyone deserves the dream...The wonderful dream of winning the lottery.

• No, why ban hope for someone who has none?

The lottery, no matter how silly it may seem, is a source of hope to many. Welfare recipients included. I've known many of them, myself, and they are just regular people who want a chance at success in America like everyone else. And buying a lottery ticket gives them that hope. I see no reason to take that away. If they want to spend their entire welfare check on lottery tickets, that's their own stupid idea, but I don't think I've ever met anyone who's done that.

• No! They should not be banned!

You people aren't thinking right. Winning the lottery is the solution to all a persons financial problems. Think about it! With the winnings you can get off welfare for good and never go back on. With the winnings you can invest in real estate, stocks, bonds, mutual funds and trade online. Most important with the winnings you can pay for college and graduate with a masters degree or even a PhD from a big expensive college. If a person allocates the winnings properly they would never go broke again. Rember welfare isn't where you want to stay. Its very demeaning to get public assistance.

• The revenue from the lottery tickets goes back to the government

If people on welfare want to waste their money on lottery tickets, so be it. I don't approve of welfare at all, but I see no reason why if it's already being practiced, why purchasing lottery tickets should be banned. However, if welfare recipients waste their welfare money on superfluous items, they should not be subsidized to do so -- essentially, don't give them more money after they waste it all.

• No, they shouldn't.

Companies can not tell their employees what to do with their money, and it would not be right for the government to say that someone can't buy lottery tickets. I believe that someone buying one or two tickets with their check isn't a big deal. If they do happen to hit the lottery, they don't have to collect welfare anymore. Hopefully, the people play responsibly or maybe they should be encouraged to seek help for gambling problems.