Should Westboro Baptist Church be allowed to protest funerals as free speech?

• I don’t think that Westboro Baptist Church should be allowed to protest funerals as free speech.

I don’t think that Westboro Baptist Church should be allowed
    to protest funerals as free speech.
    These people are the lowest of the low.
    These people are worthless, spineless, soulless vermin. These people are the perfect example of
    everything that is wrong with this country.
    These people are not Christians.

• Freedom of speech. Simple as that.

I think that anyone who disagrees with their right to express them self is displaying an unconstitutional mindset. I disagree completely with what they are saying because in my opinion the only reason they say most of those things that they do is to piss people off and gain publicity and it works very well for them because people are so immature and get so angry at words. Just because you don't like what they're saying, doesn't mean that they should not be allowed to say it.

• It is in the Bill of Rights

Even though I disagree with what they say, I have to defend their right to say it. If we were to begin denying the freedom of speech to these people then it becomes a slippery slope as this freedom may be denied to other. It starts with Westboro Baptist, and then it is anyone who speaks ill of the president and his policy. Pretty soon anyone who is seen as a dissenter is going to be found in court and we will live in a society of fear. I san again. I may not agree with what they say, but I must defend their right to say it

• We cannot limit freedom of speech.

I wish the Westboro Baptist Church would disappear. They are indisputably disgusting people. BUT just because we don't like the message, doesn't mean that we can limit freedom of speech. If we begin to make exceptions, pretty soon no one will have any rights. And just to clarify this question a bit, it should be noted that they never actually 'crash' funerals; they stay on public property to protest. That's perfectly legal.

• Yes They Should Be Allowed to Protest

The Westboro Baptist Church spreads a message that is vial, inappropriate, and downright grotesque. On the same note, we live in a country where freedom of speech is essential, it is the cornerstone of our constitution. They have a right to protest, even if we all know it is borderline insane.

• Constitutional Right to Freedom of Speech

While I do not support their hurtful speech their first amendment right protects their rights to say what they want. If they begin to infringe on another person's rights or their actions harm someone on a physical level they are no longer protected under the first amendment. Saying that they do not have the right to say and protest their beliefs is comparative to someone calling somebody else stupid. Meaning that if speech is used that insults someone else they should not go to jail for it and therefore the Church cannot be punished for what they believe and say.

• They Are Protected Under The First Amendment

This is one of those odd, controversial topics that people tend to become inflamed over and in a sense, they are indeed treading on a legal grey area; however, within reason, Westboro is in fact protected by the First Amendment, thus, they are allowed to protest. To prevent them from protesting opens up doors of other instances where people can have their rights trampled over, but laws are laws that must be consistently upheld, as subjectively enforcing it in one instance, but not in another would defeat the purpose of having the first Amendment. They are also expressing their religious beliefs, so we cannot trample upon their rights. I do not necessarily side with them, as they only seek their 15 minutes of fame, but if we, as a society ignore them entirely and deny them media attention, they would dissipate. The reason I claimed that they are treading on a legal grey area is because the following are not protected by the first Amendment: Obscenity, Fighting words (speech intended to provoke retaliatory violence), Defamation (includes libel, slander), Child pornography, Perjury (lying despite taking an oath in court), Blackmail, Incitement to break the law, True threats, and Solicitations to commit crimes. These antagonists tread upon a grey area, because it is apparent that they do not act in good faith, so one could possibly argue that their goal is to incite retaliation at the hands of victims.

• It is their constitutional right

They have the right to free speech, just like the rest of us. I do not agree with what they are saying or why they protest at military funerals but we cant deny anyone rights in America. These people our absolutely crazy, but we cant limit what these people do or say.

• This is my opinion

The fact I can get it right away with a lot more fun and addicting and I don't think that it was not immediately available to all of them and I love it so I don't have any more of an old friend is someone to come out and get it together right to the gym today and it was the

• This is my opinion

• This is my opinion

• What is the benefit of doing it?

I believe that Westbro Baptist Church should keep their views to them self, especially as they are so unpleasant. They can say what the want behind closed doors,, but the moment they decide to picket a funeral it becomes personal. . I believe in freedom of speech; if it wasn't for our freedom of speech and campaigning, I believe that LGBT, Ethnic equality as well as abortion being legalized will not have happened if protests and campaigns would not have happened.

At the end of the day, what is the benefit to doing this? What enjoyment does the church get? What will 'God' think of this?

• Free Speech Can Be Taken Away

While it is allowed under free speech, the Supreme Court has ruled that the government can take away your right to free speech if it consists of "fighting words" or is found to be obscene using the Miller test. The only reason that they are allowed to protest is because 8 of 9 justices believe that the WBC is protesting about a public issue, which, while it may be true, should not come into play if a vast majority of the public finds their statements obscene.

• It Is Disrespectful

There is a time and place to state your opinion. Stating an opinion at a soldiers funeral is disrespectful, to you, your country, and to those who are grieving for the loss of a loved one. You wouldn't want people picketing at your funeral or at your loved ones funerals for a reason that is completely out of topic of what he or she had died for.

• They are horrible

These people are the worst of the worst what they say is horrible, from supporting 9/11 to dead solders as a good thing they need to be stopped and i understand our constitutional laws but there should be an exception these horrible people, they deserve to burn in hell and in life for what they have done

• They hate America, yet try to hide behind its amendments.

Take a look at the protests that these lunatics have done, thanking "god" for 9/11, horrific deaths of soilders, and the fact that some people enjoy intercourse with the same sex. Using religion is ok, as long as it isn't to hurt others. And to yell "Your son is a f*g, and is going to hell!!!11one" over religion, is disturbing public peace. No matter what the Constitution of Th United States of America says, these people harm others in horrendous ways.

• Waving the Ammendment around doesn't excuse harrasment

It is illogical to say that they have a right to freedom of speech (freedom of thought and expression), when the right isn't ABSOLUTE. It is important to note that there are many further clauses in various nations that state that the freedom of expression is subject to restriction if it contradicts the rights of others. While this may be legally accepted in America, it most certainly wouldn't be in other nations.

• They abuse are right for free speech

If i was ever at a funeral and these west bro baptist people came up and started protesting about things like god hates gay people i see that as hateful spurs not using there free speech, and god would be disappointed in them because they are not the people representing my god theirs a person called the pope who does that and hes not using his so called free speech to protest at solders who bravely fought for there country's funerals. Furthermore if they were at a funeral of a loved one you know and love dearly do you see that as there legal right or a hole bunch of hicks who need to keep there though to themselves.