Should women have to register for the draft just like men?

Asked by: Anime_Otaku16
  • Women have to register if men have to!

The others have said it. Equality! Clear and simple. Some people are asking about the validity or morality of the draft it self which isn't the topic here.
    The ones that said NO hinge on the argument of children and care taker. Their objection is based on women being a care taker which clearly bias. Men can be care taker, there are lesbian parents in which one of them can be drafted, there are a lot of single women with no kids, there are married women with no kids, then there are male gay couple with kids.
    Senior parent / other family can be temporary care giver during war. After all if women are good as care givers, they too are good taking care of wounded soldier.

• All eligible Americans are to sign up for the draft.

First off, how about some reflection on the men who gave their lives in service to their country, and then think about how many of them were shamed into fighting or drafted against their will, then take into account the amount of them were fathers or husbands. It's a big order for some of you on the opposing side I know, but perhaps you can see where i'm going with this. Too many of you are so quick to step in the defense of these mystery mothers in the hypothetical nondiscriminatory draft, I give you the question to think again, how exactly did these women become pregnant? That's right, men. Now when you say that women having to go off and fight leaves orphans without parents, what exactly happened to their fathers? Only you know for some reason as you've concocted a narrative where all men have gone off to fight due to the draft and only single mothers are left in the country.
    I'll leave that and give you something else to chew on, how is it that my right to vote is barred, my access to government assistance and financial aid/ grants for college and businesses are denied until I offer myself to potentially die in service to my country when women are not forced through the same hoops and get special grants and scholarships that are exclusively available to women? Whereas there arent any for men that are easy to acquire.

I'll ask the other side this, How is it that it I am expected as an American male, to sign up for the draft just to get basic rights as an adult such as the right to vote and the privilege for assistance from the government, when nothing is asked of the American women of my country, yet they are not barred from the right to vote and seek assistance from the government? At what point do you look at yourselves and ponder the question of how the men feel about fighting and your lack of empathy or harsh generalizations about our behavior? And to the feminists that "fought" to destroy *traditional* gender roles, you seem too quick to want to throw on a dress and wash the dye out of your hair, and revert back to a stay-at-home mother, when things dont immediately benefit you outright in your quest for equality. Dont worry about the positions that women will take in "the war", that is not the question, just "Should women have to register for the draft just like men", keep it on topic and the nuances to a minimum.

And no, I refuse to bear your burdens because you think I should simply because I was born with different genitalia. Also how many ethos based opinions the No side share on "equality", you want equality, yet when there are differences between men and women, you think that it is the men are to sacrifice rather than both equally.
    How pathetic.

How pathetic.

• Yes they should, and this is coming from a female herself.

If a man has to register for a draft, then a woman certainly should have to. Both have equal rights, right, therefore why should women get special treatment in this case?

"But men are stronger than women!"
    Yes, in general, men do have more physical strength than a women. But when being drafted, people have to pass a physical (and a written test too I think). If the woman is truly not strong enough to fight, then she won't. The same goes for a man. There are "weak" men as well. Besides, there are a ton of jobs that don't require excessive physical strength, so women can work in those if we're being stereotypical.

"But, but, women have to raise the children!"
    Men can too. One spouse can be drafted and the other stays to take care of the kids. Single parents just don't get drafted.

"But women won't be comfortable registering for a draft!"
    A lot of men aren't either, but they have to anyway, women should be subjected to the same laws. I'd hate getting drafted, but no, I shouldn't receive special treatment just because I'm a woman.

I don't think there should be a draft in the first place though, but in unavoidable wars, there has to be, so yes, women should have to be drafted.

• Equality is what we want, right?

As a woman, I understand wanting equality. With that there is obviously a down side. Despite whatever the down sides are, we have fought this long for equality. Therefore why do we deserve special treatment because we are women?? Why is a woman not willing to serve a country that's offered her so much? With rules and exceptions for BOTH men and women, if a draft is reinstated WOMEN SHOULD BE DRAFTED AS WELL AS MEN!

• Yes, but the government shouldn't be able to take both the partners from a household.

As long as the are able-bodied, are mentally stable, and overall eligible, they should be put up for the draft. As released by vitals.Nbcnews.Com, women are just as fit to serve as men. To all the feminists who are out there and are against this, YOU ARE HYPOCRITICAL.

• Eliminate the draft

Ideally, the draft should be eliminated. The idea behind it is that women would have families and thus would not be eligible, and that men would be free to serve. Due to the gender revolution, this is no longer the case and the women exception no longer makes any sense.

Posted by: TN05
  • Yes they should

One of the things that women have been arguing for over many years is to be equal to their male peers. If we are to actually go so far as to reach this goal, then women should be included into the draft just as men are, it's only fair after all.

• Yes women should have to register for the draft if they want to be considered equal.

As an equal opportunity based country, women should also register for the draft as men are. Women have proven time and again that they are every bit as capable as men are in terms of serving in the military. While there are some physical demands that may prevent women from doing, women are capable of serving the country through other means.

• No, I don't believe women should register for the draft.

A woman in my opinion should not be even on the front line let alone in the draft. As a woman myself I know that may seem strange and I do believe in equality in many ways but I think the armed forces should not draft women. I completely support them being in the armed forces by choice but not by force. I actually don't think men should even have to be subjected to the draft.

• Equality for All

Women and men should have the dame rights and laws as everyone else in this world. This debate could go either way, but women should have the choice of registering for draft or not because if they feel comfortable enough and want to register, then they should. But otherwise, women usually take care of their children, if women would have to register for draft at the age of eighteen, and a draft would happen,and they had children, who would take care of them? The children have no one to go. If women would get the choice to register or not, they could choose, because some women don't have children. Women and men should have the same rights and laws, no matter if your wealthy, poor, old or young. Equality for all.

• What about the children?

What happens to a woman's children if she is drafted? Will nursing mothers be forced to leave their newborns? What about a pregnant woman? Will she be expected to shoulder a machine gun and fight? Really, the draft should be abolished, not expanded. An all volunteer force is much more effective than a bunch of people who don't want to be there.

• No they should not

I feel very strongly that women should not have to sign up for the draft. I have two teenage sisters that even when they turn 18 they would never be able to fight in a war, therefor they would ultimately get killed. The only time that i feel that women should be able to fight is when they sign up on their own will. Women are needed on the homefront to help with the other things required to have a war. i.e. making weapons, clothes, and supplying food for the soldiers.I know that their is many men that aren't ready to fight a war and many women that are more than capable but I feel that men are a better fit because that has always been the rule and it should always be. Men are supposed to protect the women and the ones who cant fight, its just common tradition.

• No They shouldn't

I do not believe women need to register for the draft just like men do. I Believe woman have other needs that need to be met such as Their kids and their families. I am not saying they can not register for the military because of course women can register as they wish and would like too but i really do believe for women to be drafted does not need to be necessary. What if a woman has a family and kids at home and then all of a sudden she is drafted to go into war?? What happens to her kids? What happens to her family? Of course you all may ask well what about men? Lets think about it kids are usually closer to the caregiver the one who nurtures more such as her mother. I do believe in equality for everyone but when it comes to women having to be drafted I WILL DISAGREE

Dilara says2015-01-30T03:42:02.867
No one should be drafted. If we have to it should only be men since they are stronger