• Yes women should be able to serve

Women should have the option to serve in the infantry. While it is true that women are physically different then men, wars now a days are fought with weapons, not hand to hand or with swords. The excuse that women are too weak to fight is old fashioned and patently untrue. As long as they are capable of passing the same physical standards as the men in their unit, there is no reason they shouldn't be able to fight.
    Women are just as capable of bravery and patriotism as men and denying them the chance to serve and protect their country is wrong. Women in the US can be firefighters or police officers, two jobs that are also physically stressful and dangerous. It is time that the military accepts women into the infantry as the asset they are.

• Yes, if they're qualified.

As long as they're qualified, and can pass all the same testing that men are required to pass, then yes, they should. However, any requirements must be kept exactly the same to ensure the safety of everyone in the unit. The hard fact is, many women are simply not as strong as men, and therefore may not be capable of doing all the jobs men can do.

• If they want to, sure

As long as they're put through the same tests to earn their right to be on the front lines, I have no problem with them being there should they desire to be. An entire gender isn't wired the same way, it's foolish to think there are no women that are capable of performing this job.

• Yes, but it's very complicated.

Speaking from the viewpoint of an untrained civilian, ethically, women have a right to all employment opportunities. However, from what I have read about how difficult it is for women to join, several important issues were raised. Primarily, most experienced officers, both male and female, have stated they do not support women in the infantry because of various reasons including-
    (a) the infantry relies on an all male environment to maintain order and because most of them are males from the ages of 18 to 25, they are hormonal and the introduction of women into the infantry might cause sexual harassment and other conflicts. Also, the sense of brotherhood in the infantry motivates them and makes them an effective unit.
    I STRONGLY DISAGREE with this argument. Firstly, it makes it seem that all members of the infantry are mindless robot-like soldiers who are all completely the same. First and foremost, the military is made up of teams who fight together. For a team to be successful, different members should have different roles. Yes, a female might not be suited to every role, but having female members might strengthen the team as they fill roles that other team members may not be able to fill. This brings me to the next point.
    (b) Women are physically unsuited for combat. One user on the page even said "Last, there are no standards in combat. The enemy doesn't care...This country needs men to fight other men. Football is violent aggressive and physical. So is combat."
    I am actually slightly confused by this statement. Other countries have already allowed women to fight in their armies (despite considerably different situations), so the "men fighting men" comment makes absolutely no sense. Also, this person already stated that there are no standards in combat, so comparing football, a sport with strict rules, to combat therefore presents a logically faulty argument. Also, as stated before, men and women have different strengths, especially concerning combat. Women, though not as strong as men, are more agile and faster, so when comparing combat capabilities, both genders are pretty evenly matched.
    (c) Women are "softer" than men, and would not be able to kill insurgent children, citing studies that state more men say they would shoot a child running after them.
    Firstly, the studies are untrustworthy, as the demographic is "men," instead of a more specific and relevant category, who SAY they WOULD shoot. Many people say they would do something that they would be incapable of doing should the situation arise in reality. Also, official military studies have shown that women are just as willing and capable as men in situations like those.
    I would also like to point out that women have already been unofficially serving in the infantry as the "frontline" in a battle has grown increasingly undefined due to modern warfare.

• Women should serve

Don't see why not. If a woman wants to join the infantry, by all means let her. I don't see any cons to this. More people join...What's not to like. Women are physically weaker than men, but it's not like women can't do anything. A lot of people make it sound like women are the weakest beings to ever walk the planet. Women are weaker, but they can still be strong. If women want to join, why not?

• Women Should Serve

While women are physically weaker than men, I still support women being in the infantry. Women could still fight. I highly doubt ALL women are as weak as the opposing side seem to believe. I don't know much about the army, but couldn't we segregate men and women? Again, I don't know a lot about the military, but I believe stationing men and women independently would be a good idea. Women should be given the opportunity to join, no doubt in my mind.

Lastly, you get more people in the infantry. I don't see any cons to that.

• Yes, women should serve in the infantry

• Of course they should!!!

I'm only 15 and I do want to join the army. I have a pretty good idea what it's like in combat and you know what? Women are not worse than men in any type of combat! In hand to hand fighting I can beat boys and I have a better aim in shooting than my uncle who was in the army. Excuses are just excuses. Biology is right but with training we can do anything! If you say no, because women shouldn't be at risk or they can't handle it either mentally or physically, well you are stupid, because you are showing the differences between the two genders and exaggerating them to make them more visible only because YOU are too weak, but there are more women then you can imagine who would love to join the infantry. And they should be able to!!!

• Yes women should be allowed

Not allowing women to fight just as men do is obviously unjust. Women have the same mental capacity as men to make good split-second decisions, a skill that is essential on the front line. Women can also train to be as physically fit as men are, even if they are, on the whole, slightly less strong. Having diversity in a team and different view-points benefits a team and can make it stronger.

• Yes women should be allowed

• What a joke, Infantryman not infantryperson

What a joke this. Deployed i went months with no showers in 115 or hotter degree heat. Good luck girls not getting infections with only baby wipes. The infantry is a testosterone fueled atmosphere, not an estrogen fest. Well I am 19 and i can pass basic and infantry school- well that doesn't mean sheet. Try 100 pounds of gear on your person with 203s and extra mags just making up your kit. That's not including your pack. Some missions you will have 80 lbs in your or more in your pack and then get dropped of and walk ten god damn miles. You are already up above 200 lbs now without your damn weapon. That's real life, walking up and down rocky nightmares, or trying to roof jump with all your gear, not your happy little ruck march on a nice gravel road. You idiots that are politically correct make me sick. What has happened here its disgusting. Well we'll lower standards to get girls in. You just got people killed for your bs. The infantry are hard men, a warrior brotherhood. Did i mention the infantry's job is actually killing people. You cant have people mood changing and getting upset cause its their time of the month. Well I can pass schools. Boohoo wait till you under fire, and someone gets hit, try picking up and dragging me out of hell i weigh 260, and Ive seen guys a lot bigger than me. You literally just dropped down our combat effectiveness morons. A really stupid idea when like most of the world hates us. The funny part is and i mean funny in a way that makes me actually want to puke, is that these stupid politicians have never been in this job and have literally no idea how they just effed the military. You think they would listen to all the generals telling them how stupid this is. I'm glad i served in war with my Brothers!!!!!!

• Infantryman not Infantryperson

• Infantryman not Infantryperson

• Infantryman not Infantryperson

• Infantryman not Infantryperson

• Infantryman not Infantryperson

• Infantryman not Infantryperson

• Infantryman not Infantryperson

• Should Not Happen

There are numerous reasons, all mentioned in other postings, which include the biological, hormonal, health need and emotional differences. It also puts men at a disadvantage, as men are socially geared towards taking unnecessary risks for women, regardless of combat situation or not, so why would we put additional risks on our front line troops? When I was in the Corps, the same argument was discussed and I asked many women Marines about it. Not one of them thought it was a good idea, and there were a few that I thought could probably handle the job, if they decided to go that route, but even they said no way.

Unfortunately, there are women's rights groups that fight for what a very small minority want and force it on the majority, all in the name of political correctness. As a country, we need to get away from trying to be politically correct 100% of the time and use common sense occasionally.

• Hell no! And this coming from a woman!

Not only is letting women in the infantry a violation of the brotherhood built after all these years, but I don't believe they can physically or mentally handle the requirements of an infantryman. My boyfriend says he'd do it all again in a heartbeat but it was one of the hardest things he accomplished. I can only HOPE AND PRAY the men don't take it easy on the women who think they can "hang with the boys" in the infantry.