• Violence and Injuries

Children also watch the Olympics and if they see how violent wrestling is they will also do it. They will get into more fights at a young age, and injure them-selves as they are immature. They do not understand what wrestling is and will hurt others in school and at home.

• Yes, wrestling should be taken out of the Olympics.

Wrestling should be taken out of the Olympics cause, it's a dying sport. Doesn't bring in money, and it doesn't support gender equality. And it's really boring. I am a wrestler and I know the chances of me making to the Olympics is very low, due to the fact that it's not as big anymore. Many say that it's the reward you'd get, cause there isn't a "Pro-Wrestling". You should realize that wrestling will not take you very far in life, and it won't pay your bills.

• Boring to watch.

Despite the strength and athleticism it takes, it’s not very exciting at all. Ever seen a wrestling move on Sportscenter’s Top 10? No. Not unless it was a WWE star move.

It is boring to watch because of the rules unknown to the watchers because
    in recent years international wrestling has done significant damage to itself. Just look at the confusing rules for overtime:
    These rules are certifiable crowd-killers, while the TV coverage of other combat sports — boxing, taekwondo and judo — is increasingly as popular as wrestling.

• Not entertaining, doesn't bring revenue, doesn't support gender equality, and is barbaric.

The primary purpose of wrestling is not to give athletes exercise, but to entertain the people. Also, the Olympics are very expensive to produce, and wrestling is particularly expensive because it has so many different classes. Also, the Olympics has taken on a new theory that all sports should be gender equal, and wrestling does not fit this. Also, it is a pretty barbaric sport. Especially in the 21st century, we must move away from violent sports such as these and take a more sophisticated approach to sports.

• Yes it should be banned

It is the cause of violence among children. 2ly it causes a lot of injuries. It should be just banned. I mean some people like it but is not good at all i just hate it like hell. Sports are meant for good health, mental state and well being not for these injuries or violence. So it should be definitely banned

• Boring to watch.

Boring to watch because of the rules unknown to the watchers because

• Not Entertaining, Let Other Sports Have a Shot at the Olympics.

I have watched wrestling during the Olympics on NBC this past summer, and I have to say, like soccer, it is pretty boring for the majority of the match, and then, there is one moment where one of the competitors slips, and the other wins. Since it has been a sport since 1896, why not let a modern sport have a go at the games, like sport climbing, or roller sports. These events have NEVER been a part of the games and they deserve a chance too, even if it is just for one Olympics.

• Boring to Watch Indeed.

Replace it with Catch Wrestling. Wrestling with submissions. No point BS just submit. Originally wrestling has submissions, they just removed it. Try to Youtube Combat Wrestling Japan, now that is what I call Wrestling. Do you think Samson or Hercules manage to kill a Lion just by points? They choked the Lion.

• IOC grading criteria

According to the I.O.C.'s grading criteria, Modern Pentathlon should be thrown out long before wrestling in the Olympics. It is also ancient, as it has been in the Olympics since 708 BC. The dreams of winning Olympic gold are more alive in wrestling than other "Olympic" sports (golf, basketball, soccer)

• Wrestling should stay

My son wrestled from the time he was 7. It is a very entertaining sport and builds character. He is now 34 years old and the friends he made in wrestling are still there and all are sucessful. My son has his masters in teaching and volunteers his time to teach young children how to wrestle. If a child is trained right injuries are few. Every sport has injuries.

• It creates character!

It teaches how to work hard for something that you want to achieve and to be the best that you could possibly be. Also how to commit to something. This is why employers often look for wrestlers, because they are used to showing up to school everyday and to to do it to the best to their ability. It is like what coach always tells us. Even if a wrestler wants to become a ditch digger for a living he will work to be the best ditch digger that he can be.....

• Of course not

I've read the arguments saying that it should be dropped for various reasons. I will do my best to address each of them. Violence. Violence is all around us everyday. People making this argument make it seem as if it's along the same lines as MMA. Which it isn't. What about boxing, & football? Should those sports be banned as well? Hell, peoples shins get cracked in half all the time in soccer. Boring. To each his own. Although I have to disagree seeing as how it's one of if not the oldest sport on earth. If it was that boring people would've stopped doing it a long time ago. Can't believe people want to replace it with wakeboarding & rockclimbing. Seriously. Gender inequality. Get real. There are plenty of female only wrestling teams out there. They may not be as popular but they are there. When I was in high school roughly a decade or so ago my guy friend actually wrestled a girl from another school that was in his weight division. How is that inequality. Wrestling promotes determination, individuality, and gives someone a sense of accomplishment. To remove it from the Olympics will crush the dreams of many people around the world.

• Encourages Violence? Please!

Anyone who says that wrestling encourages violence has no idea at all of what they are talking about. Never in wrestling is there the intent to injure your opponent. It is a test of strength and endurance, and there are injuries in all contact sports for all types of reasons, you cannot single out wrestling. It is a game that requires great athleticism in a way different from all other sports. Not only was it one of the first games in the Olympic Games dating back to when it was a competition in Greece, but it continues do this day to be a practice of millions across the globe. If your going to take a sport out, take out whatever you call that thing where people twirl hoops and stuff. Most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

• I have wrestled all of my life

And I cannot seem to find a way that it hasn't helped me. You wanna know what should be banned, WWE. It is totally fake and is actually violent. People who watch that get more violent, and it causes the real sport lots of criticism because people watch that and say, "OOOOOOHHH not cool" and automatically dislike wrestling. Not to mention the fact that it was in the very first Olympics that the Greeks made. If people from that time were doing it, the sport has to be doing something right.

• You're argument is invalid.

Oldest known sport. How could you get rid of that? First off, wrestling is a healthy sport, contrary to belief. Dropping weight is not the sports fault, but the determination brought on by the athlete. As you can see from that last sentence, the sport also induces high levels of determination. Something that is INVALUABLE. --Although this form of wrestling is not like the real life submission type situations, you have to realize one major flaw in your argument. Many people can learn wrestling and not learn submission. How much more dangerous would it be if all the kids just followed what they did on tv (if they had submissions). Without proper form and proper understanding, you could kill someone. It aggrivates me so much that people who don't support wrestling argument against it with such terrible arguments...

• High school wrestler here.

I am a high school wrestler that completely disagrees. I hate the fact that wrestling was considered to be taken out of the Olympics. I have not once been disciplined for trouble off of the mat. I am a smart student and wrestling has helped me more than anything. To say it's boring is wrong. Watch Jordan Burroughs compete and look at how fast he moves and the crazy moves he uses. Everything is amazing to watch.

• My kid wrestles!!!!!! It's not a bad sport

My son age 14 had anger,rage and was a bully YES a bully. When I entered him into WRESTLING something happened to him. The coach teaches them self respect, self control,self confident,self defense,self esteem,and most of all how to be a TEAM.HE STOPPED BULLYING stared caring about others and there feelings...... So WRESTLING is so important to not only are young but to everyone .. Those that don't like the sport or say it's to violent don't even began to understand it . For it's so cool to watch but then again you have to like the sport know the sport and feel the sport .PLEASEmy son age 14 had anger,rage and was a bully YES a bully. When I entered him into WRESTLING something happened to him. The coach teaches them self respect, self control,self confident,self defense,self esteem,and most of all how to be a TEAM.HE STOPPED BULLYING stared caring about others and there feelings...... So WRESTLING is so important to not only are young but to everyone .. Those that don't like the sport or say it's to violent don't even began to understand it . For it's so cool to watch but then again you have to like the sport know the sport and feel the sport .PLEASE keep wrestling in or beloved OLYMPICS keep wrestling in or beloved OLYMPICS

• Are you kidding?

I'm NOT a wrestler. But here are some very good reasons to keep it around:

1) The Ancient Greeks, who gave us the Olympics, were super into it.
    2) It is probably the most widespread human sport, both historically and currently (very popular in tribal Africa, as well as many other traditional societies).
    3) Wrestling is a true test of not only strength but tenacity, cunning, and technique. Can you truly say that of Curling or Rhythmic Gymnastics?
    4) Removing wrestling from the Olympics would kill the "end-game" of thousands of wrestling programs + coaches.
    5) Modern wrestling is American: we developed it in this country and it's something we should be proud of and support, even if we don't always watch it.
    6) Wrestling is a core of Olympics sports of not only because of its importance to the ancient Greeks , but because the essence of all (true) sports is a metaphorical celebration of humans' potential to survive, whether individually or as a team. To face another in single unarmed combat is representative of the human experience over the last 100,000 years. This cannot be said of the Pommel Horse.

• I've wrestled my whole life

Anyone that thinks wrestling shouldn't be an Olympic sport is very closed minded, People talk about how it's 'boring' yet curling is still in the Olympics.
    It's an original Olympic sport, If you don't like it don't watch. By banning wrestling you've crushed hundreds of thousands of dreams of men and women that have put in extreme dedication and hard work.

• I've wrestled my whole life