Should you be required by law to wear your seat belt?

Asked by: Explicity
  • Unless you want to have a higher risk of dying?

Why would you want to take a law down protecting your safety? Why does it bother you to have a law protecting you safety, requiring around three seconds to do? You are pretty much saying, "I don't want people to ensure my safety. I don't want people to rule three seconds of my life that is used to ensure my life!" It is already a law protecting you, let's keep it that way.

• Yes, you should!

Two of my grandparents died because they didn't wear a seatbelt. I don't care if you want to die or not; wear a seatbelt. I keep on hearing this, "Well, it's my life so I should be able to choose." I don't believe in that... So no! Just wear a seatbelt.

• To save your life

If you want to live you should wear a seat belt. People get killed every day by not wear seat belts and trust me you don't want to be one of those people and those are my two spectacular reasons why you should wear a seat belt when you are driving at all times.

• Dangerous and unsafe.

Operating a automobile without a seat belt is very dangerous. The innovation keeps us in our seats and prevents us from flying through our windshield. Not only is it unsafe but insurance companies will take advantage of this by increasing monthly payments drastically. In a world where driving teenagers are increasing, a seat belt is a must for the driver.

• You should be safe and not sorry

If you got in a car crash and you weren't wearing a seat belt you could fly and hit the windshield or a seat, or someone else. So many people die each year because of this. You might not think about but if you are in a car with other people , and your not wearing a seat belt you could fly and hit someone and get them more injured then they were. So not wearing a seat belt puts you and any one else in the car in danger. So if you said no think about riding in the car with a loved one and you get in a car accident and fly and hit them and injured them. If they were really injured and you hit them and they passed away it would be half way your fault! Its like riding a roller coaster with out a bar or any thing keeping you in the cart. It may not be comfortable but dieing or being seriously injured is worst. You could just try making it comfortable, and if you think you should have freedom well you wont have any if you get injured. So really think about it if it is really worth it.

• People should be required by law to wear a safety belt

It is best there are safety belt laws in place not to protect those adults who don't think they are needed but to be sure the stupid adults in charge of children HAVE to put their kids in a safety belt at least until the child is considered an adult. It is okay for an adult to be affected by their own stupidity but lets save a few kids from at least this idiot decision by their caregivers.

• It's an easier way to save lives.

If people are afraid of getting a ticket for the seat belt law, they will buckle up, therefore those people who wouldn't buckle up without the law- they are indirectly protected by the law. So if you want to be stupid and not keep yourself safe, or say "nothing will happen to me, what are the odds," then go right ahead. But the law should require you to wear it, because if it saves a few it is worth it.

• The thing is designed and proven to save lives

Imagine running as fast as you can - into a wall. You'd get pretty hurt. Do you think you could stop yourself if the wall suddenly loomed up when you were two feet away from it? This is exactly the situation you face when the front of your car hits something at only 15 miles an hour. The car stops in the first tenth of a second, but you keep on at the same rate you were going in the car until something stops you - the steering wheel, dashboard or windshield - if you're not wearing your seat belt.. Bad enough at 15 miles an hour, but a 30 miles you hit "the wall" four times as hard as you would at 15. Or to put it another way, with the same impact you'd feel as if you fell three stories.

The lamest and most common excuse for not wearing a seat belt is usually " I was just going to the blah"
    Considering that most accidents occur within 25 miles of the home, I don't see a reason why you shouldn't always be wearing one.

Posted by: JDuB
  • Fact: its saves lives

If someone else pays for healthcare, then yes they can make laws to keep the cost down. However if you pay your own healthcare then don't wear one and I will duck when you fly past. In Hawaii you don't have to wear a helmet when on a motorbike, but you do have to wear eye protection . They don't care if you die, they just don't want you to drive into someone after being blinded by something. My insurance won't cover my injuries if caused by my own negligence. Ie
    drunk driving, no seatbelt, driving a stolen car, try to out run the police. Thanks for reading have a nice day.

• I think that people should wear seat belts because it is unsafe not to

Well if you don't have your seat belt on and you are in a crash it would holed you back from flying though the window. Another reson why you should wear a seat belt is because if you get pulled up by the police you could get pulled up and given a fined...

By Teaue-Leah Takimoana

• That should not be law

Laws should protect people from other people's actions, not from one's own actions. For example, I think it is okay for the law to require that I have liability only car insurance, this protects others from my accidents. I think it is not okay for the law to require that I have full coverage car insurance, this protects me from myself, which should be my job and my job only, no one else's business. Same for seat belts, it should be my job and my job only to put my seat belt on, not the laws job. However I think the law should require drivers to have all passengers under the age of 18 use seat belts, this type of law would protect minors from the driver's actions/accidents.

• In my opinion

If you want to not wear a seatbelt then that is completely up to you. You have an increased risk of dying, but if you'd rather that to not looking 'uncool' by wearing one then that is absolutely great.
    I don't agree because it is not the individual that is prosecuted - it's the driver. The people operating the vehicle is not always able to make another person do something - especially if that person is older or equal in age to them.

• I prefer Freedom

I don't want a law about seat belts it's a personal choice. If there was no law I would personally still wear one but I don't care whether or not someone else does. The fact that people think they need to control and dictate other's lives so much is ridiculous.

• It is your right to free will.

If someone doesn't want to wear a seat belt, that's their decision to make. This isn't saying it wouldn't be smart to wear a seat belt either. Hey! There is that small percentage that not wearing a seat belt might save you too. Who knows? The best argument for someone not in favor of seat belt laws is that there is a probability the seat belt might kill them too.

• Why would it matter?

Why would it matter to the government if you're wearing your seat belt? It's not your life their endangering. It should be your own individual decision. The only life it's effecting is yours. Not even the person in the car with you. Just YOU. So why would it matter to anyone else if I wear my seat belt? In fact, in some cases, not wearing a seat belt can save your life. If you drive into a lake wearing your seat belt. You will be virtually trapped inside your car to drown. Either that or it will take longer for you to unbuckle your seat belt. Also thinking logically, if you weren't wearing your seat belt, when you hit impact on the water. You could actually lunge yourself forward through the windshield and BAM! You're out as long as you're not unconcious.

• Yncrivjnitjngtjt rjnjrc ncjnecncj

Njrn tvri vcjitrj v ivcjit vi viji vi vij irjiv trvirvj ritvrtritvv trv ir vi t vr rrr vtiv jtvij vtr rtj vj vjtvj ij vt jv jvj v v v ji vjivv r vtt vjv jvj virjvjitvjijitrit t tri tri t trij rti rt ti ttr tr t t t

• Yncrivjnitjngtjt rjnjrc ncjnecncj

• Ridiculous law-all about the money

Okay 2 arguments, and I could go on forever, but I won't, so I can get my points across quickly. First of all, motorcyclists are riding a vehicle on the same roads we are, and are at much more risk of injury than someone driving a car or truck. Why are they allowed to drive the streets without any "seat belt restraint"? The other argument is based on STAPP conference auto crash testing has proven that there are many more residual physical impairments caused to the cervical and clavicle areas due to wearing seat belts. Most accidents in urban and suburban traffic are "low impact, low speed, rear-end". We have seen an influx of these cases in chiropractic medicine. Thirdly, it is MY body, and I should be able to take whatever risk I want with it. The government should have no place in that. By my decision not to wear a seat belt I am not infringing on any other persons liberty or safety.

• Breach of Freedom

Not wearing a seat belt only endangers yourself, and if one wishes to place oneself in harm's way, that is their choice. The only members of society who should be required to protect their own life are children (maybe the mentally disabled?). In all other cases, one should be free to act as they desire so long as the effects are contained to oneself.

• Should be personal choice

I have been in 2 major accidents in my life. Both times I was ejected from my seat and in both cases if I had still been strapped in to the driver's seat the chance of me being killed would have been higher. The first accident the roof was caved in completely on the driver's seat and the second accident the whole driver's side of the car was smashed. Years ago I had a friend who was killed in an accident, the seat belt almost decapitated him. I have no problem with people wearing seatbelts but they shouldn't be able to dictate whether I wear mine.