Should you be required by law to wear your seat belt?

Asked by: Explicity
  • Unless you want to have a higher risk of dying?

Why would you want to take a law down protecting your safety? Why does it bother you to have a law protecting you safety, requiring around three seconds to do? You are pretty much saying, "I don't want people to ensure my safety. I don't want people to rule three seconds of my life that is used to ensure my life!" It is already a law protecting you, let's keep it that way.

• Yes, you should!

Two of my grandparents died because they didn't wear a seatbelt. I don't care if you want to die or not; wear a seatbelt. I keep on hearing this, "Well, it's my life so I should be able to choose." I don't believe in that... So no! Just wear a seatbelt.

• To save your life

If you want to live you should wear a seat belt. People get killed every day by not wear seat belts and trust me you don't want to be one of those people and those are my two spectacular reasons why you should wear a seat belt when you are driving at all times.

• Dangerous and unsafe.

Operating a automobile without a seat belt is very dangerous. The innovation keeps us in our seats and prevents us from flying through our windshield. Not only is it unsafe but insurance companies will take advantage of this by increasing monthly payments drastically. In a world where driving teenagers are increasing, a seat belt is a must for the driver.

• You should be safe and not sorry

If you got in a car crash and you weren't wearing a seat belt you could fly and hit the windshield or a seat, or someone else. So many people die each year because of this. You might not think about but if you are in a car with other people , and your not wearing a seat belt you could fly and hit someone and get them more injured then they were. So not wearing a seat belt puts you and any one else in the car in danger. So if you said no think about riding in the car with a loved one and you get in a car accident and fly and hit them and injured them. If they were really injured and you hit them and they passed away it would be half way your fault! Its like riding a roller coaster with out a bar or any thing keeping you in the cart. It may not be comfortable but dieing or being seriously injured is worst. You could just try making it comfortable, and if you think you should have freedom well you wont have any if you get injured. So really think about it if it is really worth it.

• People should be required by law to wear a safety belt

It is best there are safety belt laws in place not to protect those adults who don't think they are needed but to be sure the stupid adults in charge of children HAVE to put their kids in a safety belt at least until the child is considered an adult. It is okay for an adult to be affected by their own stupidity but lets save a few kids from at least this idiot decision by their caregivers.

• It's an easier way to save lives.

If people are afraid of getting a ticket for the seat belt law, they will buckle up, therefore those people who wouldn't buckle up without the law- they are indirectly protected by the law. So if you want to be stupid and not keep yourself safe, or say "nothing will happen to me, what are the odds," then go right ahead. But the law should require you to wear it, because if it saves a few it is worth it.

• The thing is designed and proven to save lives

Imagine running as fast as you can - into a wall. You'd get pretty hurt. Do you think you could stop yourself if the wall suddenly loomed up when you were two feet away from it? This is exactly the situation you face when the front of your car hits something at only 15 miles an hour. The car stops in the first tenth of a second, but you keep on at the same rate you were going in the car until something stops you - the steering wheel, dashboard or windshield - if you're not wearing your seat belt.. Bad enough at 15 miles an hour, but a 30 miles you hit "the wall" four times as hard as you would at 15. Or to put it another way, with the same impact you'd feel as if you fell three stories.

The lamest and most common excuse for not wearing a seat belt is usually " I was just going to the blah"
    Considering that most accidents occur within 25 miles of the home, I don't see a reason why you shouldn't always be wearing one.

Posted by: JDuB
  • Fact: its saves lives

If someone else pays for healthcare, then yes they can make laws to keep the cost down. However if you pay your own healthcare then don't wear one and I will duck when you fly past. In Hawaii you don't have to wear a helmet when on a motorbike, but you do have to wear eye protection . They don't care if you die, they just don't want you to drive into someone after being blinded by something. My insurance won't cover my injuries if caused by my own negligence. Ie
    drunk driving, no seatbelt, driving a stolen car, try to out run the police. Thanks for reading have a nice day.

• Seat Belts, Saving Proven to Save Lives.

Have you ever been sitting in your car at a stop light, and suddenly been jerked forward because someone just rammed into your car? If so, you’re lucky to be alive thanks to your seat belt stopping you from hitting your steering wheel. However, what if you were not wearing your seat belt? There’s a very good chance you could have gotten thrown around the inside of your car, or into your windshield and become fatally injured. More than half of fatalities from car crashes could have been prevented if drivers and passengers were wearing seatbelts. However, as far as seat belt laws go right now, they are very lacking. In order to save lives and protect more people many states will have to enforce more seat belt laws.
    When you use a seat belt it can protect you from most car crashes. In fact more than 255,000 lives were saved with seat belts from 1975 to 2008 (http://www.Youthforroadsafety.Org/news-blog/news-blog-item/t/seatbelts_saving_thousands_of_lives_around_the_world_everyday). However when you are not wearing a seat belt when hit you’ll fly around the car as described above. Even if you don’t die from a car crash without your seatbelt you still have a better chance of getting critically injured, or injured at all than nothing.
    People often think that they don’t need to wear a seat belt because the airbags will protect them. However, if you’re too close to an airbag when it inflates it could injure you or kill children. Many people simply refuse to use seat belts because they believe they restrain them and could restrict them from movement if they get into a crash where they are flipped over and on fire. However, these days cars are required to enable seat belt wearers to be able to unbuckle themselves at any time. Another counter arguement is that if they were not wearing a seat belt for the initial crash an accident that flipped them over they could have already been injured or killed. There are people who refuse to use seat belts with the argument of, “It’s my choice. If I don’t wear a seat belt that’s my risk.” However this isn’t only your risk, if you get hurt in a car accident it could cost the county. In 2010 car crashes cost the country almost $1 trillion dollars! (http://www.Rmiia.Org/auto/traffic_safety/Cost_of_crashes.Asp) Not only that but think about how how your refusal, to do something that takes 4 seconds to complete and maybe some minor discomfort, could cost your family and friends not financially, but emotionally.
    Seat belts are the only reason why some people still have the ones they love. And seat belts have been proven to save more lives and prevent more injuries than they might have caused. More than half of fatalities from car crashes could have been prevented if drivers and passengers were wearing seat belts. So, remember to help prevent injury of yourself and others, make sure you and any passengers, friends or family, buckle up.

• That should not be law

Laws should protect people from other people's actions, not from one's own actions. For example, I think it is okay for the law to require that I have liability only car insurance, this protects others from my accidents. I think it is not okay for the law to require that I have full coverage car insurance, this protects me from myself, which should be my job and my job only, no one else's business. Same for seat belts, it should be my job and my job only to put my seat belt on, not the laws job. However I think the law should require drivers to have all passengers under the age of 18 use seat belts, this type of law would protect minors from the driver's actions/accidents.

• In my opinion

If you want to not wear a seatbelt then that is completely up to you. You have an increased risk of dying, but if you'd rather that to not looking 'uncool' by wearing one then that is absolutely great.
    I don't agree because it is not the individual that is prosecuted - it's the driver. The people operating the vehicle is not always able to make another person do something - especially if that person is older or equal in age to them.

• I prefer Freedom

I don't want a law about seat belts it's a personal choice. If there was no law I would personally still wear one but I don't care whether or not someone else does. The fact that people think they need to control and dictate other's lives so much is ridiculous.

• It is your right to free will.

If someone doesn't want to wear a seat belt, that's their decision to make. This isn't saying it wouldn't be smart to wear a seat belt either. Hey! There is that small percentage that not wearing a seat belt might save you too. Who knows? The best argument for someone not in favor of seat belt laws is that there is a probability the seat belt might kill them too.

• Why would it matter?

Why would it matter to the government if you're wearing your seat belt? It's not your life their endangering. It should be your own individual decision. The only life it's effecting is yours. Not even the person in the car with you. Just YOU. So why would it matter to anyone else if I wear my seat belt? In fact, in some cases, not wearing a seat belt can save your life. If you drive into a lake wearing your seat belt. You will be virtually trapped inside your car to drown. Either that or it will take longer for you to unbuckle your seat belt. Also thinking logically, if you weren't wearing your seat belt, when you hit impact on the water. You could actually lunge yourself forward through the windshield and BAM! You're out as long as you're not unconcious.

• Seat belts shouldn't be worn

If you get in an accident you won't be able to get it off and you'll be stuck in the car and possibly die from a fire or explosion on the car and your families will be upset to lose you and I don't think emotionally someone will want to go to their families funeral

• Seat belts shouldn't be worn

• Seat belts shouldn't be worn

• Seat belts shouldn't be worn

• Seat belts shouldn't be worn