• I wait months for a groupon deal!

I don't play with money. I simply cannot afford to. We have 2 kids, 2 car payments, rent, bills, etc, etc, etc. The ONLY time we can afford to go out and eat is when a huge coupon deal is posted online for restaurants (80% off entire bill). This is only time I can afford to eat out with my children and it is the only time I am not on the stove slaving my butt off. It's the only time I don't feel guilty wasting my minimum wage earnings to treat myself and my family. Now you're telling me I can have my once in a while meal out because I cannot afford to pay an extra $10-$20 for the waiter? Give me a break!

• You aren't my employee

You work for a restaurant, the job which the restaurant hired you to perform includes serving food to customers. I am going out to eat I am not hiring an employee. The restaurant hired you, the restaurant should pay you a living wage. If I want to go eat I will. The amount you are paid is between you and your employer.

• To tip or not to tip that is the question?

I work as a server and I don't expect to have our guest tip me. If I do and they don't then I'm disappointed. Yes I work hard at my job but it's up to our guest if they want to tip. I don't work 40hours a week I work 4-5 hours a day. I was a driver for a pizza place and there was nights were I didn't get a lot of tips I didn't complain when I didn't get tipped. Yes it sucks when I don't get tips but like I said it's up to the guest. All I hear is those who work at a fast food restaurant they want$15 hour really why. I know when I took the job what I was getting paid an hour and so do everyone else does.

• Tipping more business

I would eat out more if I didn't have to tip. The business are the one's that are suffering. As I said I would eat out more if I didn't have to tip. Think about it if you leave $1.50 for each $10.00 your meal is that's over $800.00 a year at 25 to 45 dollars a meal for the 2 of us.
    Yes pay your employees more and put up a sign
    NO TIPPING you would get more business.
    Signed stop tipping

• Tipping is an archaic, unhealthy, and illogical practice.

I mainly play with credit cards, I don't ever have cash on me. And it's a pain knowing I want to go out to eat, but that I will have to find some cash because restaurants can't properly factor in their staffs wages into their prices. It makes ZERO sense to have waiting staff rely on customer tip, when obviously if you have waiters you have a business that isn't at least closed, if you're so broke you can't afford to directly pay your waiters, how are you in business? I think the whole ordeal is very shifty. What if you had to tip the people at mcdonalds who took your order? The cashier at your grocery store? Your doctor? You are already paying for their service in a restaurant, you are already paying for the food, so why is it so hard to factor in appropriately paying your staff so the customer doesn't have to deal with that?

'If you do not tip, then that means the server basically paid for you to eat at the restaurant!' Wow so all of that food you paid for....... You didn't pay for that, 40 dollars went out of your banking account, but because an extra 5~10 dollars didn't go to the waitress, suddenly she paid for all of your food? I would like if I didn't tip and suddenly the waiters paid for my food, that would be A-MEI-ZING.

• It helps to keep the business afloat.

I personally would like the minimum tipped wage to be abolished, and the front of house staff be paid at least the proper minimum wage. It is the business to figure out how much running the business cost, and set theirs prices according (or set a service charge). When you eat out, you are helping to support the business, which in turn keep those those servers/wait staff employed. If the server/wait staff complain about me not tipping, I will not patron that restaurant again. One less customer isn't going hurt that business.

• On Personal Tipping

Tipping is obviously optional. Restaurants have made it optional. Restaurants that do not make it optional tell you before ordering, usually printing it in the menu or with a table card. If tipping, as some argue, is for the purpose of paying for the service, then restaurants must pay servers or close their business of serving customers.

• Tips do help people feed themselves. However it is wrong that it's the costumer is supposed to make up for that instead of the restaurants.

Basically I agree with both sides. Here is why. When you have little money, you should be able to go out and enjoy a meal without being forced to pay extra. The bill shows what you have to pay. The rest is extra and should not be expected. However it is also true that servers get underpaid. However what's wrong with that is the system. Not the costumer for not tipping. A person's income should NOT depend on tips, but on a set wage. Also if we are talking about UNFAIR. How is it fair they get tipped, while all other people who get underpaid (factory workers, cleaners, etc. etc.) do not get tips.

It's wrong to expect people to pay extra or to deny them a fun night out because they can't afford to pay extra. I have below minimum income, but I go to out to eat. Honestly I can't afford that at all, but if you stay cooped up at home all the time you'll go depressed. I have less money then the people serving me. So I won't tip much if at all. I put aside money every week so I can go out with a friend or my mom once in a while. I will not let people guilt trip me so I can never go out again. THAT is unfair, that those with little money can't do anything fun ever.

It is unfair their pays depend on tips. THAT IS HORRIBLE. What should change is the system. Restaurants need to pay their staff properly!

Do not expect to costumers to pick up the slack of a corrupt system. The only thing they should pay is the actual bill, And maybe if everyone started doing that instead of guilt tripping people who feel it's unfair to pay extra (also compared to how other low wage people never get tips) the system would change and tips would not even be needed anymore.

I tip when I can. When I have a good period I can spare a few extra bucks as a tip. So when I can I will. But when I can't I won't. And I won't let myself be guilt tripped by people because it's not my responsibility people get paid well. It's the restaurants. And its about them these criminals are forced to pay their staff properly!

• It's like ordering a water with lemon

I get sick of senior citizens coming in with walkers, wheelchairs, and coupons. I work in an upper scale chain and the biggest drink is water with lemon- que my eye roll here. They take up 1 of my 3 tables, get the cheapest thing on the menu, and guess whst...They split it. The bill is 13.00 I get 1.00 tip. If you can't afford to tip or let alone get your own meal then go to a drive through, we as servers do talk shit about you

• Here's the answer

If you can't afford to tip at least 15% on your pre-discounted check, you have no business going somewhere where someone has to wait on your pathetic ass. You get paid minimum wage. We get paid $4/hour. If you can't afford to tip, eat at McDonald's. We'll be happy. McDonald's might be happy and I couldn't care less if you are happy!

• Not worth server's while

If you eat out at a sit down restaurant and do not tip, the server does X amount of work for you but doesn't get appropriate compensation for it. You are ripping them off.

More restaurants are switching to tablet based ordering though so then it is somewhat better although the people that bring you food and clean up deserve something too.

• To tip or not to tip

I work as a server and I don't expect to get a tip from guests if I do and don't get it then I'm disappointed. Yes we have to get things for our guests and they decided if I'm worth the tip or not. If I do a good job I may get a tip. And if I do a crappy job I shouldn't get a tip. If people go to a fast food restaurant they sometimes get crappy service. They also want $15 an hour just for standing at a Point of Sales register I don't complain if I don't get a tip. I took the job knowing what I get paid an hour. I'm not a college student. I work with alot of them. Yes it sucks that I don't get a tip, but it's up to the guest if I deserve it. If the guest want to tip me thank you if not well that's their decision not mine. Breakfast where I work is a buffet style at $10.95 $11.98 with tax. I'm sorry but tipping is the option of the guest.

• To tip or not to tip

• To tip or not to tip

• Tips are all a lot of us have.

I get paid $4.85 while delivery driving. That's not a lot at all nor is it enough to pay for my apartment. If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford delivery, and you damn sure can't afford to go out to eat. Literally anything is better than nothing whether it be $1, $3, or hopefully above that. I work my ass off along with thousands of others out there. College isn't cheap. Housing isn't cheap. Cars aren't cheap. Don't be stingy nor rude. We're trying to make a living.

• If you cant' afford to tip go to Mcdonald's or some other self service restaurant.

Simple as the title says. If you can't afford to tip then go to a fast food style restaurant. The workers there typically make at least a little more than minimum wage since they're untipped employees.
    People that go out to eat and don't tip have something mentally wrong with them.

• You are actively stealing if you don't tip at least marginally.

The IRS assumes (correctly) that everyone in a tipping profession will average, at minimum, 8% of sales in tips and taxes them accordingly. As such, it costs the server over 2% of your bill to serve you. If you stiff a server on a 50 dollar check, the IRS will tax them as if you gave them a 4 dollar tip and the server will be a dollar poorer than if you had never dined at all. Unless the server has done something so woefully inadequate that they deserve to literally pay for it, failure to tip is actually stealing money out of the pocket of another.