Should you judge one another based on your religion (or if you do not have one)?

Asked by: hailhatin
  • Judging a person

By their actions is perfectly acceptable. Religion is not biological. Because a religion can and often does determine someone's actions you can make judgments based on those actions. Hypothetically, If part of a religious practice is something you consider evil, and is practiced by all those of that religion, then you could consider people of that faith to be evil.

• Yes as it is a reflection on that person

Religion or a lack of a religion defines a persons beliefs. Whilst the beliefs may be on a spectrum the spectrum is limited somewhat when you take into account that persons religion. Judging someone else does not necessarily have to be static either.

You may initially judge someone on their religion and then adjust that opinion based on when you learn about them. This is how our brain operates and we all do it. When we see a person we have concocted an idea about every aspect of that person within a second.

The key is to allow yourself to change that judgement as you learn more about them. I would argue that in fact it is impossible not to judge someone based on their religion. As this is a part of the information you have about that person. It does not however constitute your whole judgement on that person.

• It shows how you think

Imagine you are being tried for a crime you did not commit. Would you want people on the jury with strong religious faith? (faith being defined as belief in something without proof or evidence) People who pray to god to guide them in there decisions, because faith is an unreliable way to get to the truth. Or would you want people with no religious beliefs? Critical thinkers who embrace science, reason and logic.

• You should not.

Each one of us are a human, with equal rights, and free will. The equal rights and free will allow for people to make their own decisions, such as their religion. Also, there is "Freedom of Religion" here in America. Besides that, wouldn't you wish for someone to respect your beliefs, even if it is different from theirs?

• You should not

Religion may define someone a little bit and it might cause them to believe things you may strongly disagree with but in the end you should judge people on personalities and morals. People should learn about all religions and be open to meeting people no matter the religion, race or ethnicity .

• Judging Flawed Religions

Yes, a couple of the 'bad' men's actions are based on what their religious book has taught them, but that doest mean all men of the same religion are like that. Men are given freedom to express themselves through their varied personalities, therefore we should be willing to give each one a chance to express themselves and not be prejudiced on the basis of religion. And this is also why we state that judgments on personality, ethics and demeanour are given uttermost importance

• "Don't celebrate Christmas"

That is the massage a friend wanted to give me when I was talking to him about Christmas. I asked him for his address (he lives in a different country then me so I don't know his address) , to send him a card for Christmas and he told me that he doesn't want to give it to me because I do not believe in god and so I shouldn't send him something for Christmas...
    Things like this are making me sad, because I think that everyone can do or believe whatever they want to, as long as no one gets hurt by doing it and so I should be allowed to celebrate whatever I want, like everybody else :)

• Get to know them

I have friends who are athiest while i am christain and we get along great! We never ague about it and we don't really talk about it at all. I'm not saying it doesn't matter because it does. But proof that i am friends with those people should be good enough

• You should not

Religion is too flawed. Christians believe that a person who has 14 kids after getting married taking so little care of them that some of them die from preventable causes is better than a person who has only a few kids because he uses birth control and takes very good care of his kids. A christian will tell you that the first man is better than the second one. According to religion slave owners and men who mistreat there wives are righteous. If we used nothing but religion to build our morality we would still be for slavery and stoning rebellious kids and torturing people for not believing what we believe.

• You should not