Should you live with your parents after marriage?

• It can be beneficial for everyone.

It is important for the married couple to have an independent life and relationship together, but living with extended family members can strengthen bonds within the family. It is great for children to grow up close to their grandparents, it can be a good financial alternative, and a house of extended family is a house full of love! It is important that everyone respects each others' privacy, but living with your parents can be a great alternative.

• I'm pretty sure that almost every parents want to live with their kids.

Imagine that when you're about 60-70 years old, do you want to live on your own, do everything by yourself ? Our parents spend most of their lives taking care of us and now one wants them to take care ò themselves too? No ! I will live with my parents no matter what. If they don't want to live with me. I'll buy a house near theirs in order to take care of them easily. That's my opinion thank you.

• Most answers disagreeing on here are assuming that the parents will be the major financial supporters of the household.

Depending on your socio-economic status, it makes sense to live in a big family home. It also varies on your cultural background. Most Hispanic, Asian, and Italian families live in strong family households. It is a custom brought back from the old countries. I personally would like to live in a household with my parents and brothers in a mult-room house.

• Are you kidding?

Your parents did their job and brought you into adulthood. Now do yours and show them respect by taking responsibility for your own life. Why should they be burdened by the financial hardships of continuing to take care of you. There are plenty of people doing more with less. If you stay because you're too lazy to take care of your own family then you truly are a loser!

• No you should not.

After getting married you should try not to rely on your parents anymore because you are trying to move on and start your own family, if you continue to hassle your parents than you may not be ready for that next phase in your life where you are ready for your own family.

• Depending on the circumstances, it might be ok...

For example, if your single surviving parent was ill with terminal cancer and needed assistance, then yes, you should. But generally, I would consider being economically supported by your parents after marriage, or even being so emotionally attached to them that you must continue living with them, a negative thing.

• No. It's time to be an adult!

I can understand if you've bought a house and have to stay with parents or in-laws temporarily while it's being renovated...Or a parent is terminally ill. But after marriage it's a new phase of your life and time to be responsible...Especially if you're in your 40s. I know of a couple in that scenario who doesnt want to spend a penny so prefers to stay with Mom and Dad. There is the option to rent an apartment in the very least.

• No no no

Your parents gave you your life, they have follow you since you were a kid, took care you, gave you everything good, everything better. They accepted all of financial hardships to earn money to give you go to school, to buy food, buy clothes,.... I'm a Vietnamese, in my country, the childs are all of parents, they are really really love us and they always want all the best come to us, so i really don't want to live without them. They are really really mighty for me. I will take care and always live with them...

• No no no

They give you a life, maybe a wonderful life or no. But they are keeping be your parents, they give you everything good, give you their care, give you happy, give you money, take you go to school. Will you forget all ?? They love you and why you want to live out them. With them, you will always be a child, so they will always take care you.... So i think you shouldn't live without them....

• A big No!

I have experienced staying with in laws for 3 years. Neither the bond increases nor is anyone happy. Unless parents are bedridden, it is the best option to stay separate for universal well being. I dont get my rights or freedom of the house. I have my own ways to set up the house and maintaining cleanliness and hygiene including food habits. Its a big stress to live together!

• Parents can be too needy and disrespectful

You can't truly bond with your spouse till you leave your parents cause eventually it will cause problems in your marriage"you can't cleave till you leave"also you wife can't make your parents house a home for the two of you cause its not her house and that causes stress for your wife cause her and your mother may have different housekeeping ways

• No.It steals the freedom of couple

If the couple live along with their parents ,they will never learn to lead an independent life.The decision making will become very tough as they want to consider the opinions of their parents and extended family members.In short the couple will not have any freedom to live their life.Besides they will not have enough privacy in a joint family.Couple may lose the freedom to romance whenever they wish.Because it is not allowed in counrtys like india.But couples have their own dreams and imaginations for their future life.Living with parents will spoil their freedom as well as dreams.

• Tension between in-laws is one of the major cause of marriage breakdown

Mother-in-law and daughter-in-law are 2 strangers brought together by 1 man. They both move this man but they may not love each other. They may not willing to adopt the other's way of living because both of them want to be relaxed at home. If they don't get on well, living together will fuse the tension and cause marriage to breakdown.