Should young kids be sheltered from death metal music?

• Very young kids yes

As a parent I do think that very young kids should not really be exposed to death metal music. It's not because of the message, but the actual music itself is very loud and can hurt their ear drums. However, it is a parent's right to expose their kids to it.

• Young kids should be sheltered from death metal music.

Death metal music is obscene and children should not be exposed to it. It is necessary for parents to make sure their children do not listen in inappropriate music. If kids hear the messages of hate expressed in this music, they might be tempted to emulate such actions in real life.

• It depends on the death metal band being listened to and the overall message.

Death metal can be very interesting, intelligent and educational in comparison to hip-hop and rap music.
    Death metal deals with unexplainable phenomenon, religious beliefs, the occult and the world's overall condition.
    Death metal has the power reveal the sick and twisted side of humanity that television and the news are afraid to talk about and are taboos, such as serial killers, child molesters, harmful effects of certain religious beliefs and drug use.
    Some death metal bands do promote violence and devious acts and should be reserved for a more mature listener.
    Overall it's the parents call, although making a child stop listening to his or her genre of music will only make them want to listen more...As with myself and my parents.
    Death metal music isn't always negative in its lyrics and content and at times can be uplifting, spiritual and provide the listener with knowledge,courage and a strong will to survive in a harsh world

• Most definitely NOT.

Besides the obvious point made by several others about MUCH bigger problems to worry about, there is no reason to shelter your child from any type of music or artistic expression. If you actually LISTEN to "death metal" or any other type of metal, the majority of the lyrics are non violent and not threatening in any way. If anything, they support freedom, independence and being yourself, not following the herd. Very few bands have graphic, offensive lyrics and you usually can't understand them anyways, especially as a child. If anything, shield them from the guns, p***y and n****rs that are clearly pumped thru your speakers courtesy of wanna be "gangstas".

• NO - Within reason!

No, children should be allowed to listen to what they want to - within reason!

For example if the song has explicit lyrics then I can say yes, however songs that are 'clean' or 'radio edit' I see no problem.

My daughter has been listening to the likes of Slipknot and Stone Sour since she was 3 years old, however I have always made sure that there version contain no swearing or if I can't find a 'clean' version for example Stone Sour Absolute Zero then I mute the swearing . My daughter is now 5 years old and she has started getting more into death metal and now has this is on her youtube play list "Hate Eternal - Bringer Of Storms" and this has been checked by me first to see if it is suitable for her

Even though I love all aspects of metal music, the one thing I have never done is forced it upon her she actually chose it herself on you tube on my view again section and she asked if she could listen to it and since then she has been hooked, now this style of music has brought us closer together than I could ever of imagined and our special bond has grown stronger.

On the other hand I am also trying to teach her culture and where music came from so she has other bands on her play list such as queen, Beach boys and Buffy Holly - so I am trying to get her to appreciate all aspects of music wherever possible

• There's bigger problems out there

If you're worried about the music your kids listening to then I can't wait to see what happens when something horrible happens to you, your friends, family, loved one, or anyone around you. What will you do when a sex offender moves into your neighborhood or someone repeatedly is breaking into your home?

• No. And stop being so judgemental

It's just like any other form of expression. Don't shelter a kid from a type of music that you have a stereotype of something you don't understand. Music doesn't cause people to do anything bad as much as a scary novel would. Most people who listen to death metal don't do violent crimes, they don't worship satan, they're not a bunch of rapests, most people I know who listen to death metal have good paying careers. I think you need to teach your kid nor base their musical choices off of musical bigotry.

• Just like any other music

If we want to ban this music from kids then basically we have to an everything else that includes dubstep or rally any other kind of music that is violent i see that this is not going to be effective or even change anything in our sociaty... But still death metal is still a good ganre of music!!!

• Kids These days

Listen to some really interesting music. It doesn't really matter what song or artist it is, it's the type of music itself. And even if you tell the not not listen to it, they'll do it anyways. They're kids, they prefer doing what they please, rather than what their parents want for them. There's no point in trying to change it.

• Express Yourself s

With all the songs about expressing yourself in todays world. Those are ok. But when someone actually expresses their self its considered not ok. If someone wants to listen to death metal music its their choice. O jimmys wearing black a lot and listening to death metal music he must be suicidal. No thats not whats going to happen. Y

• To much protection

No, kids should not be sheltered from death metal music while they are growing up. To much protection can be bad on a child growing up. I personally know a person who was only allowed to listen to country music growing up, and he now plays bass and sings in a death metal band.

• A Parents Decision

I do not believe all children should be sheltered from death metal music. In my experience, it's just a bunch of noise and we don't listen to it. However, if my child come to like it, I wouldn't stop him from listening to it. There's nothing inherently wrong with death metal music. If a parent wants to stop their child from listening to it, they have every right, but no one should have the right to stop all children from listening to it.