Should young men and women over the age of 18 who serve in the armed forces be allowed to consume alcoholic beverages in any state in this country?

Asked by: ashley9716
  • If someone is allowed to die for their country, they should also be able to drink.

I am in no way a supporter of alcohol, I dislike what it does to people, but if a mere child is allowed to die for the freedom to drink alcohol they should be able to reap the rewards that their sacrifice bought for this country. A person sent to war, humanity's biggest mistake, hell on earth (not that I believe in hell) should be treated as a full adult.

• I drank when I was 18.

I was stationed at Ft. Huachucha, AZ as a private where, if you remain on base, you are allowed (or at least you were when I was stationed there) to consume alcohol. I then was stationed in Korea where national law allowed you to drink at 18. I actually turned 21 midway through my first tour there. It really wasn't a problem among my peers and I am no worse for wear because of it. I still drink today, though very moderately. The legal drinking age is pretty stupid. If you are old enough to operate a rocket launcher, machine gun, tank, etc. In a foreign land and make life and death decisions you are old enough to have a Guinness at the end of the day.

• I say Yes

If these young men and women are old enough to go out to some foreign country, watch their friends and comrades get gunned down, get their legs blown off, operate machine guns, then in my mind, we are preventing them from being able to temporarily forget the horror of war. So, we are basically doing them a disservice by prohibiting them from drinking.

• Why not let them

Listen, not only the men and woman in the military should be allowed to drink, but even those who are 18 in the united states should have the right to drink. Look at all other countries drinking age, most is able to drink at the age of 18, and even some are allowed to drink at the age of 16, this means that the united states (the only country with a drinking age of 21) cant trust its own youth, and therefore takes the rights of those, who are deemed at the age of 18, an adult, away!! So in turn by golly let them drink away.

• No they should not.

Why are people in the armed forces have more rights than anyone else over the age of 18? They should have the same rules that we do and have to obey the law. At the age of 18 your body is not fully developed and it will kill the developing brain cells and destroy your liver