Shouldn't it be considered unethical for parents to lie to their children about fictional characters like Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy?

• Santa made me an Atheist

The day I found out it was all a scam was the day I became an atheist. If my parents were lying to me about these supernatural creatures called the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, and Santa Claus, they must be lying about God, too. I felt terribly betrayed, and it called everything they ever told me into question, and I don't think I ever quite trusted either of them again. Now at 37, with a 9 year-old son, I am committed to being honest with my child, but that doesn't mean I'm going to destroy the fantasy his mom has built up in his mind. When he asks me if Santa is real, I'll simply say "some people think so", and if he asks if _I_ think he's real, I'll say no, but he's free to believe what he wants.

• The Beautiful World

More beauty in this world than the Easter Bunny, Santa, God & The Tooth fairy. We don't need to make up fiction, when there is already so many beautiful things in this world.

Lying to children then telling them not to lie is reprehensible. It makes as much sense as smacking a child for being violent.

• Believing in fictional characters like Santa Claus is all in good fun. It doesn't damage children.

Telling your children about Santa Claus is not unethical. It is part of the magic of the holidays. No harm is done in a child believing that Santa Claus will give them presents if they are good. With children, sometimes they need a little more incentive to behave, and Santa Claus provides that. There are also families that aren't religious, so their children still get to celebrate in the holidays without the religious aspect.

Posted by: R3gg43Mark
  • I agree because parents have no business lying to their children; it's a bad example.

Parents should not lie to their children; it sets a bad example for them. How can they instruct their kids not to lie when they deceive their kids themselves all for the sake of a little fun? Children have active imaginations and can dream up make believe scenarios, but parents need to be truthful, so children know they can be trusted.

Posted by: NettN355
  • I lie, when discovered, always hurts.

This may be not be a hurtful lie but it's still a lie. A hurtful lie is telling your child "I'll take you with me, just go get ready" and then leaving alone anyways. Some people lie about the most insignificant things because they don't care about how it affects others. Today I called my dad and he told me he was on his way home. He didn't show up until almost four hours later! This is not unusual, he's done it before, what's sad is that I still sit by the window and wait to see his car. My parents never lied to me about Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy, we didn't celebrate any holidays, and now I'm glad they didn't because it was one less lie for me to discover.

• Santa is fake. We all know that. Why lead kids on with a lot of lies? This is ridiculous!

Don't you think kids will be depressed when they find out the truth? They will feel like all of the "magical" memories from childhood were fake. They would also know that their parents lied to them. As their parents were probably teaching them, "Lying isn't good." But here they are, doing all of the lying. It also forces whoever the kids ask to lie too. When I have kids, I will tell them the truth. No Santa. No Easter bunny. No tooth fairy. Just the truth.

• Is it a sin?

Just a fun game? Lets allow Jesus to answer that question for us:

"And all manner of all liars shall not enter the Kingdom of God" Rev 21:8
    "And all who love and maketh a lie shall not dwell in the Holy City of New Jerusalem of Heaven (Rev: 22:14)

Christan is not, you should still strive to be perfect - Which lying about Santa is not. Lying to your children is a work of Satan and will keep out of heaven unless you repent and practice truth.

In the gospel, JESUS called Satan "The father of all lies". So it no surprise that Satan is the author of the Santa Claus lie. (Satan being an anagram for Santa.)

You are living a delusion if you lie about Santa and think it is acceptable to lie. How can anyone say something like that? They know it is wrong.

So will churches lift up Jesus and remove the lie of Santa??? Don't bet on it!! £££ They can't do this because many people will be enraged taking their donations and replacing him with a Satan loving pastor. Here is Jesus's message. "It is better to tie your neck around a stone and jump into the sea than lead one of these little ones astray."

• Yes it is!

It is unethical to lie to kids about Santa, Easter Bunny, and etc. If you want to read them a story then fine...But I wouldn't lie and celebrate such holidays acting as if they are real! Lying is wrong no matter how you want to sugar coat it!!! Wrong, wrong, wrong.

• We spend our time teaching truth then lie to them about fictional creators

While lying to your children may seem like a safe action in order to promote control, conduct and compliance, previous studies have shown that when young children are deciding who to trust they become increasingly sensitive to people’s history of being honest or dishonest with them personally. For parents who lie to their children often, they may be undermining the child’s sense of trust in them and could be turning them away rather than getting them to comply.

• Lie to your kids and you are encouraging them to lie to you

Children learn by what we DO. Saying nice things to people rather than harsh, ugly words is called kindness. But telling lies to manipulate children or others is wrong. It teaches that my selfish desires justify being deceitful to others, to get what I want. It also creates irrational fears in children that may last a lifetime, preventing them from reaching their full potential, emotionally as well as intellectually. So why lie to your child about stupid stuff like the Easter bunny? Just explain it is a silly story that some people like to pretend and play games about. I raised 3 children this way, who are now in their 30's and incredibly successful in their relationships and careers. Honesty is the basis for all relationships and good character traits. It is not optional to being a good human being.

• Children must learn that there is no ultimate trust and that everyone is a potential lier

It is fairly important to children to lie to them about Santa Claus and what not, because at least it taught me that you can't even trust your parents and that people will basically lie to you and deceive you for whatever unfounded or selfish reasons, but all in a non-harmful and nice way with presents.

Otherwise, children will learn it their first time the hard way, probably just by being ripped off by their best friends with toys or something. Maybe but hopefully not by some 40 year old dude in his van.

• I think there is no harm in introducing fictional characters like Santa Clause, etc.

The perception of the world around us, is a mix of facts and fiction. In the upbringing of children, we tell stories or events about many things, in fact even the concept of God and religion also does not have any proof, even God could be considered fictional. So, I believe there is no harm in responsible introduction of fictional characters such as Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.

Posted by: SaroM0vi3
  • It's not unethical for parents to make things up to cushion their children's lives, but only to a certain degree.

Every child grows up with the idea of some fictional character like Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny. This is not detrimental to their psyche, since once they grow up, they realize on their own that these characters are fake. There is no reason why it should be considered unethical since it does no damage to children. A thing that does damage children is parents teaching them about another fictional character: god. And that children cannot realize on their own that it is false because their parents never acknowledge that fact either.

Posted by: 4uncLife
  • I strongly disagree with this statement. I remember being very disappointed when I found out there was no Santa Clause.

I think childhood fairy tales are an important part of childhood. They create such excitement in a child as well as stimulate the imagination. Many psychologists feel it is healthy, and the child will choose when to stop believing.

Posted by: takanaev
  • I completely condone parents telling their children about fictional characters because they turn into good memories as adults.

Some of my favorite memories of childhood are directly related to those fictional characters. Part of being a child is the belief in "real" magic, the possibility of the impossible. These fictional characters are simply a part of that magic. It's also these fictional characters and other stories of magic that teach a child to think "outside of box." It helps to develop their ability to solve problems that seem impossible. Denying a child these stories would lead them into an adulthood without hope, filled with impossible obstacles.

Posted by: BrianDj
  • No, I totally disagree.

I don't believe for one minute that it's unethical to lie about something that has been told to young children for many, many years. Children all over the world have enjoyed many Christmas Eve's putting food and a drink out for Rudolph and Santa and also putting a tooth under their pillow for the tooth fairy to bring them some money. To them, it's a little game.
    However, for the parent, it's also a little bit of interaction and quality time with their child that people sometimes don't get enough of.

Posted by: UrHen
  • Fictional characters can be a valuable tool in guiding behavior and reinforcing good conduct.

Fictional characters like Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy provide a valuable asset in teaching children good behavior. Telling children that Santa Claus rewards good children provides a means of guiding conduct that parents wish to reinforce. The Tooth Fairy provides a means of teaching about dental care. These can be of valuable assistance in teaching children and encouraging good behavior. As such, they are completely ethical in and of themselves, and provide a valuable social function.

Posted by: N3r0nKrooI
  • Santa gives the children fond memories and a fun childhood.

Santa Claus is based on Saint Nicholas who gave all his wealth to the poor and sick. He helped people and his piety inspired stories for cultures all over the world. He is known in many different names and under many other pretences but the main reason for Santa Claus is just to spread the spirit of Christmas. As I kid growing up I had such fun on Christmas Eve with all my cousins looking for clues that Santa was at my house and watching out for him and his infamous reindeer. It was the joy of being with my extended family and eating great food that got me excited for Christmas, not the presents that Santa would bring. I was not mad at my parents for lying to me about Santa. It came gradually to me as I got older and started to listen to the facts. It's the spirit of Christmas that matters, not the fact that Santa doesn't exist. And much to the dismay of others, Santa is now a part of the spirit of Christmas.

• I do not think that it is unethical for parents to lie to children about fictional characters, like Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny, since those beliefs create overwhelmingly positive experiences that are often integral to the magic of childhood.

Ask the majority of adults if they would change their holiday memories of Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy, and I am sure they would say "no". That is why these so-called lies prevail: because, ultimately, they only create overwhelmingly positive childhood memories.

Posted by: ToughEfrain26
  • It is not unethical for parents to tell their children stories/legends about imaginary characters, like Santa Claus, anymore than it is to read them Dr. Seuss.

Children enjoy the imaginary world of fairy tales, movies and legends, like the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy. There is no evidence that such fantasy characters have an ill effect on children. Some parents choose to not participate in these traditions, just as some parents do not raise their kids in a particular religion. But, it is not unethical to do so. It is simply a parenting choice, without danger to the child on either side of the question.

Posted by: P3nrIin