Snowden: 'After 9/11, many of the most important news outlets in America abdicated their role as a check to power.' Do you agree?

• Snowden is right

Edward Snowden is an American hero for his revelations, and it says something that this quote hasn't been picked up by major media outlets - it rightfully shames them for taking positions against whistleblowing and corruption. September 11th was a major event that changed the way our politicians behave and the way our media reports things out of fear of upsetting the status quo.

• That's exactly what happened. News is nothing more than entertainment now.

Snowden is speaking unadulterated truth on this one, although I'd say that the progression from informing the people to serving the agenda of their corporate leaders had been underway for quite some time. The big news outlets in America are afraid to ask our leaders the tough questions, to shine spotlights on their misdeeds, fearful of losing access to them.

• News Not What It Was

I am not certain if it is a change that happened preceding 9/11 or not, but overall I believe the quality and truthfulness of out news outlets has declined to a point of uselessness. I believe at times, in history, the media has ousted some problem causers through coverage, but I don't believe they ever really checked power.

• Snowden Right, News Outlets No Longer Power Check

Yes, I agree with Snowden that after 9/11, many of the most important news outlets in America abdicated their role as a check to power as many of these outlets only report on things such as the NSA as if they are good things needed to keep the US safe. In a previous era, the news outlets would have been the first to cry foul. This is no longer the case.

• The United States Government Knew more than LEtting on.

I believe that because of Snowden that the United States Government knew more than they are letting on. He established documents that proved the conspiracy that the United States government lied to the people in our country. With that being said after all the confidential papers were made public there is more to this story.

• The media has always been polluted.

I think that believing that 9/11 completely changed the way media works is just a nostalgic call back to a time that didn't exist. The media has always been a tool for political power, and it has never been a true check to power like some might want to naievly believe.

• I think the oppositie is true

I think since 9/11 more news stations as well as other organizations have challenged power more than ever. Granted we were united on a specific mission for a while after the tradgedy but it also opened up many people's eye's to the problems that lay ahead in our society and the need to challenge.