• Social media is harmful to society!

Social media is harmful to society. It is. Look at those people who use Facebook. Look at the people with Twitter. Look at the guys with iPhones. How do we know they have iPhones? Because they hold it in front of their faces, texting, and using social media. This is harmful. While YOU could be spending time doing other USEFUL activities, you shouldn't been facing a screen, clicking and chatting.

• More of A weapon than social network

The social networks like Twitter, Facebook, instragram and all those other social networks, all have one thing in common and that is cyberbullying. Anybody can do it, especially on the internet. Its bad enough to be bullied in school but just when you think your safe at home you open your facebook to see your messages full with harmful letters or threats. The social network has given people A way anonymously threaten A person withought getting in trouble for it since most kids today almost never tell their parents what's going on in their lives. Honestly I liked it better when we didn't have all this nonsense and I am sure most people would agree with me.

• Because it kills

Well first of all, i use to use social media. It wasn't that bad at first really, but I realised that my friends were getting bullied and people were asking me random questions about where i live, etc. I decided that i would never talk on stupid group chats, why don't these lazy people get up and actually spend some effort on meeting up at a local coffee store and talk or just go out and talk with your friends. Social media = suicide

• Shapes cultural Norms

It is showing violence, gender-stereotyping and even increased sexual looseness and are being sited more often by younger generations. It is now time for the people in the society against this to reflect diverse voices because it is the ingredients for a lively balanced debate to prove that social media does more harm than good and get their voices across .

• Destroys relationships with friends and family

It only takes one side of the story to be told and twisted , printed off and given to the courts or other family members before a volcano erupts. The games that are played by some are ingested by others as the truth because they read it o the internet. This has torn our family apart.

• Social media is bad

Look how many kids have abducted, malested and or raped by some stranger that started to groom them. Think about when you have kids, do you want that to happen to them? No of course you don't. So just think about that and maybe it will open your eyes :(

• Social Networking Sites Do More Harm Than Good:

• Social Networking is very common nowadays in the younger and older years of our generations.
    • Some children have Facebook accounts at young ages. Psychologists say that the correct age for a child to have a Facebook account is over the age of 15, but we are seeing many children younger than that.
    • They usually feel the need to have an account to be more social, when in actual fact they are being ant-social.
    • They might also feel the need to feel popular with many friends, when in real life the child doesn’t have many, and then feels like an outcast.
    • It’s also a matter of popularity rank. People with more likes on their photos, are seen as extremely popular, therefore the children with fewer likes feel like a loser or a loner.
    • Children don’t know how to deal with these issues as they are most fragile and immature at these stages of their adolescent years.
    • A vast amount of time is spent on social networking sites, such as Facebook, when you are truly doing nothing. This time could be spent doing other activities which would be useful.
    • Many years ago, before computers became such a big thing for young children, children used to play in the garden and go out for walks. But today, if you go out for a walk, you barely see any children playing with their bikes and basket balls. They are probably sitting in their room on their phone.
    • During adolescent years, it is important that kids are brought up and taught how to be safe on the internet. Many things can happen such as cyberbullying. Teens are easy targets. Children are cruel and may post something mean about someone on a website. Teens are foolish and tend to blame themselves. In 2011 around 1 million children were harassed, threatened or some other form of cyberbullying on Facebook. You might get cyberbullied in many ways, such as posting a photo of yourself and people making nasty comments or people saying nasty things and secrets about you on the web. This would affect your behavior and make you feel depressed.
    • You see many people on their phones and the majority are probably on a social networking site. This is highly antisocial and bad for you.
    • It distracts you from studying or working. Having many likes won’t get you as far as a good grade on your finals.

• Social Media ~ TECHNICALLY BAD...

Well first of all, i use to use social media. It wasn't that bad at first really, but I realised that my friends were getting bullied and people were asking me random questions about where i live, etc. I decided that i would never talk on stupid group chats, why don't these lazy people get up and actually spend some effort on meeting up at a local coffee store and talk or just go out and talk with your friends.

In conclusion I strongly agree that social media is a huge harm to all people on EARTH.

• Ill effects out weigh the benefits

Yes, you've got a long lost acquaintance chilling in some part of the world. Maybe you want to speak to him/her. Statistically, if you're a random person on any social network, you're most likely to be reposting stuff, stalking or "chatting". There is a considerably remote possibility of you actually using the website for the purpose it was made. But the odds are against it. Reposting, stalking and chatting are probably required for any social network to thrive. But at what cost? Today, 0.4 billion more people own a mobile phone as compared to those who own a toothbrush. Having a social life isnt wrong. Getting addicted to it is. And that's exactly how websites are made. To impress you to the level that you have to return or recommend it. While this may create profits, it brings up newer sites and applications everyday. Addicts today have been statistically proven to have two applications with nearly identical functions nearly every 50 out of 100 people. Though it seems alien and unimportant, these sites create a void in a person's life where a normal social life is meant to be. Conversation is discouraged by these sites and action seems like an impossible task. Therefore, considering what they have to offer in exchange for what they take away, I belive they do more harm than good

• It does not.

Social Media is for those people who have friends in high away places. (IE: Far away) While they may be able to phone them, it just isn't convenient. This is where Social Media can come into play. It's a chat window that anybody can check at any time. What's your sister up to? Oh, she's having a soccer contest next Saturday. People who are her friends can see this without her having to call/post a letter to everyone. It's more convenient to do so. Also, cyberbullying is easily stopped with the "Ignore" and "Block" function that phones/social media sites offer.

• I do not think so. I think it's a bit like sugar.

Unless, of course, you let it rule your life and you do lose the ability to disconnect or unplug yourself from it. Like any tool, it's all about how and why we use it. I very seldom use Facebook but it has proved useful, it is an easy way for my family and friends, dispersed across several continents to keep up with each other, share photos and so on. I do not feel compelled to update my status or tell the world I've made yet another cup of tea or that I'll be washing my hair later.

When I am out with friends or with family, I do not check my phone, when I am on holiday, I stay away from the Internet. Yes, it can be highly addictive (as can a lot of tech) and a lot of the activity that goes on there could be classed as fairly pointless but, it also has served some pretty cool purposes, Facebook and Twitter played a large role in organising protests during the Arab Spring, and that is just one example of how they can be used for non-asinine activities.

Just as it us up to us to eat a healthy and balanced diet if we wish to live and be well, it's also up to us to make space and time for the things that matter.

• Social media is good

1. Top new Source
    Social networking sites are a top news source for 27.8% of Americans, ranking below newspapers (28.8%) and above radio (18.8%) and print publications (6%).
    2. Helps teens form their own identities
    California State in Los Angeles psychology professor Kaveri Subrahmanyam found that teens characterize their online friendships into similar hierarchies of closeness as their real-life friendships. Subrahmanyam views the digital world as simply a new and more multidimensional place for teens to do what teens have always done – form their own identities away from their parents.
    3. Builds Confidence
    In fact, according to a report last year by the nonprofit child advocacy group Common Sense Media, one in five teens said social media makes them feel more confident, compared with 4% who said it makes them feel less so.
    In the survey of more than 1,000 13- to 17-year-olds about how they view their digital lives, 28% said social networking made them feel more outgoing versus 5% who said it made them feel less so; and 29% said it made them feel less shy versus the 3% who said it made them feel more introverted.
    4. Helps to keep in touch with friends
    University of Virginia psychologist Amori Yee Mikami points out that teens are using social media sites to keep in touch with friends they already know, not to meet strangers. Although parents of teens should still set rules for their young teen’s online behavior, they have really little to worry about if their teen is psychologically healthy and well-adjusted.

• There is bullying

It is just wrong people know you're information and bully you they tease and laugh and make bad comment. Don't you people understand the danger around you and the this and you give detail for people to track you down you are like a prey and they are like a predator.

• There is bullying

• It is a distraction to students from their studies

Students get distracted from their studies by their posts on those sites, or messages that they get from their friends. This cause them to waste their time while replying their friends. They also neglect ther homework while socialising with their friends. Hence, it basically has more negative effects than positive.

• Social media does more good

For me, social media does more good. You should know how to utilize it. Social networking sites helps in connecting friends who live in far off places. Search engines like Google are helpful as we can get loads of information. From my point of view, it's a very beneficial thing.

• More good than bad.

What if you are 10000 miles away from someone and you are trying to contact them or their family? Then these networks are lifesavers. If you have a group of friends and you move to the other side of the globe then these websites help you keep in touch. I personally think that they do more good than bad but i DEFINITELY respect anyone else's opinions.

• More good than bad.

• No, not really...

You say bullied? Be strong and ignore. Sooner or later the "bullies" will ignore you. You say we spend too much time sticking our face to the screen. Well not all people are the same. Some people know how to balance virtual and reality. So if you want the rest of the world to do that teach the next generations since young, and the rest of the generations will do the same.

fractaldreams says2013-07-15T18:01:57.227
There's a whole bunch of interesting articles on the subject of how social media can, in fact, prove rather anti-social and has the potential to cause us unhappiness and stress (we really don't need), here's a couple:

http://www.Slate.Com/articles/double_x/doublex/2011/01/the_antisocial_network.Html

http://healthland.Time.Com/2013/01/24/why-facebook-makes-you-feel-bad-about-yourself/

Basically, you've got to be strong and confident if you're going to swim in those shark-infested waters! (sorry sharks, i do actually like you very much and we are more of a threat to you than you are to us!)
TheBunnyAssassin says2013-07-16T04:40:34.450
Meh, sorta useful I guess...