• Social media is harmful to society!

Social media is harmful to society. It is. Look at those people who use Facebook. Look at the people with Twitter. Look at the guys with iPhones. How do we know they have iPhones? Because they hold it in front of their faces, texting, and using social media. This is harmful. While YOU could be spending time doing other USEFUL activities, you shouldn't been facing a screen, clicking and chatting.

• More of A weapon than social network

The social networks like Twitter, Facebook, instragram and all those other social networks, all have one thing in common and that is cyberbullying. Anybody can do it, especially on the internet. Its bad enough to be bullied in school but just when you think your safe at home you open your facebook to see your messages full with harmful letters or threats. The social network has given people A way anonymously threaten A person withought getting in trouble for it since most kids today almost never tell their parents what's going on in their lives. Honestly I liked it better when we didn't have all this nonsense and I am sure most people would agree with me.

• It is leading society towards destruction

What does being social actually mean? Well, according to the Macmillan Dictionary, being social is being in in situations and activities that involve being with other people, especially for enjoyment. *Repeat Key Info. * Good afternoon Mr/Madam Chairman, Ladies and Gentlemen. The topic for our debate is that social networking sites do more harm than good. We the affirmative team believe this statement to be true.
    Our first speaker has explained the negative effects social networking sites can have on individuals emotionally, physically and mentally. This encompasses cyber bullying, the dangers of paedophilia, illegal activities which children can get involved with and the mental illness issues as a result of social networking sites.
    Today I will be talking to you about how social networking sites are harming society as a whole. I will explain how our ideals of “Social” have changed and how that changing, is harming our society.
    Social used to be saying, “Hi, I’m Melanie, Nice to meet you. Want to go out for a cuppa coffee?” Now, our ideals have changed. Now being social is, “Oh look! Some random stranger friended me! I have such a social life.” But do you actually? See according to the definition I said at the beginning, being social is being in situations that involve being with other people. Sure, you can be in a very interesting conversation or situation on social media with other people, but when you’re in that interesting conversation, where are you actually? Are you at home, alone? Are you on the bus? Are you sitting at a restaurant, alone, waiting for your boss, or with your date? How about your friends, where are they? What are they doing? Let’s say you’re on a date. You and your date are sitting, side by side, texting. Maybe you’re texting each other, maybe you’re not. Either way, you’re doing what we nowadays see as social, but in reality, you’re doing the opposite. You’re being unsocial. But because we have changed the ideology around social, we don’t always see it for what it is. So here’s the hard facts, by being “social” to a bunch of random strangers on Instagram or snapchat, you’re ultimately being “unsocial” in the real world. And the real world is where it matters. Digital worlds don’t last, but the choices you make out here, in the real world do. Yes, there is a life outside your cyber walls.

• Yes I agree

Suppose a child sees someone that she likes the look of the person on facebook and would want the person to also like her she can go into the act of posting nude pictures online so that if any boy should see her and like her would like to know her and by chance they get to know each other she might end up getting pregnant

Posted by :Sarah

• Social media can be good, but...

Social media can be a good thing, that is if you want to communicate. The only problem though is that it becomes an addiction of always checking their status online. Personally, I don't use any social media, and I have been much better off without it than people who do use it

• Social media is a damaging site

Social media today has wreaked many people's life, mostly teens an d youth and has become their living source. Social media has killed many youths and teens our age. It has made some people live a wrong and reckless life. Its has turn the understanding of our young one up side down. It has made many people loose hope.

• Social media is a damaging site

• Social media is a damaging site

• Social media is a damaging site

• Social media is a damaging site

• It does not.

Social Media is for those people who have friends in high away places. (IE: Far away) While they may be able to phone them, it just isn't convenient. This is where Social Media can come into play. It's a chat window that anybody can check at any time. What's your sister up to? Oh, she's having a soccer contest next Saturday. People who are her friends can see this without her having to call/post a letter to everyone. It's more convenient to do so. Also, cyberbullying is easily stopped with the "Ignore" and "Block" function that phones/social media sites offer.

• I do not think so. I think it's a bit like sugar.

Unless, of course, you let it rule your life and you do lose the ability to disconnect or unplug yourself from it. Like any tool, it's all about how and why we use it. I very seldom use Facebook but it has proved useful, it is an easy way for my family and friends, dispersed across several continents to keep up with each other, share photos and so on. I do not feel compelled to update my status or tell the world I've made yet another cup of tea or that I'll be washing my hair later.

When I am out with friends or with family, I do not check my phone, when I am on holiday, I stay away from the Internet. Yes, it can be highly addictive (as can a lot of tech) and a lot of the activity that goes on there could be classed as fairly pointless but, it also has served some pretty cool purposes, Facebook and Twitter played a large role in organising protests during the Arab Spring, and that is just one example of how they can be used for non-asinine activities.

Just as it us up to us to eat a healthy and balanced diet if we wish to live and be well, it's also up to us to make space and time for the things that matter.

• There is bullying

It is just wrong people know you're information and bully you they tease and laugh and make bad comment. Don't you people understand the danger around you and the this and you give detail for people to track you down you are like a prey and they are like a predator.

• It is a distraction to students from their studies

Students get distracted from their studies by their posts on those sites, or messages that they get from their friends. This cause them to waste their time while replying their friends. They also neglect ther homework while socialising with their friends. Hence, it basically has more negative effects than positive.

• Cyberbullying is now not much of trouble

Eg. Bethany mota got out of her grey clouds through YouTube which is a social media. You can also connect with your family or friends. I have a friend who migrated to Arizona and we still know what is happening to each other through instagram, facebook so on and forth. Id you are unale to unplug from it, then it'll be a different thing.

• More good than bad.

What if you are 10000 miles away from someone and you are trying to contact them or their family? Then these networks are lifesavers. If you have a group of friends and you move to the other side of the globe then these websites help you keep in touch. I personally think that they do more good than bad but i DEFINITELY respect anyone else's opinions.

• More good than bad.

• No, not really...

You say bullied? Be strong and ignore. Sooner or later the "bullies" will ignore you. You say we spend too much time sticking our face to the screen. Well not all people are the same. Some people know how to balance virtual and reality. So if you want the rest of the world to do that teach the next generations since young, and the rest of the generations will do the same.

• Social Media is GOOD....(for me)

It has helped me stay in constant contact with my friends from previous schools, organise outings and stay updated through whatsapp groups. I've been able to teach myself bboy or breakdancing through youtube and learn more about my schoolmates through instagram and twitter. In a nutshell it depends on the purpose of social media for the individual.

• Social Media Does Not Do More Harm Than Good.

Social Media actually has a lot of pros that I do believe weigh out the cons.
    It can act as a gateway to a wide range of positive things through heavy advertising and sharing such as petitions and charities that are commonly advertised on sites such as Face book and Twitter, with pages that allow discussions that more than often carry a lot of depth, and offer other individuals opportunities to put forth their own opinions.
    How people decide to use or abuse Social Media is their own decision, if you don't like what other people are putting out there, or find it inappropriate, methods exist (which are easily accessible) to help you to ignore or block these kinds of posts.
    I don't deny that bad aspects of social media exist, there are certainly very many; including Bullying, Fraud and Identity theft: all of which have people working behind the scenes, coming up with ways of limiting the reach of people that commit these crimes. But while they do this, it really comes to self education self-caution and a proactive attitude, if someone were to sign up to a dating site they should have made themselves well aware of the consequences that may come along with it. If a parent is going to allow their child to become more familiar with the world of social networks, it is up to them to provide education and limits.

fractaldreams says2013-07-15T18:01:57.227
There's a whole bunch of interesting articles on the subject of how social media can, in fact, prove rather anti-social and has the potential to cause us unhappiness and stress (we really don't need), here's a couple:

http://www.Slate.Com/articles/double_x/doublex/2011/01/the_antisocial_network.Html

http://healthland.Time.Com/2013/01/24/why-facebook-makes-you-feel-bad-about-yourself/

Basically, you've got to be strong and confident if you're going to swim in those shark-infested waters! (sorry sharks, i do actually like you very much and we are more of a threat to you than you are to us!)
TheBunnyAssassin says2013-07-16T04:40:34.450
Meh, sorta useful I guess...