• A Load of BS

Solipsism is the philosophical equivalent of an annoying 3 year old continuing to ask why, why, but why. The belief that you are the only thing you can prove to exist is stupid and a self centred. If two people walked into the same room both people will see the same room, therefore the room can be proven to exist. One Copy of Harry Potter says the exact same thing as another copy of Harry Potter and you can read two copies to prove it.

I am however surprised about the person above opinion, religious beliefs generally see the universe only existing in the Eye of God.

• We'll never know (I agree with rja7)

We may never know, but there are plenty of philosophical problems like that. The point is, you can create however many crazy scenarios you want, but at some point you have to make an educated guess, and live your life off that. Is solipsism true? Maybe, but there isn't enough evidence to convince me.

• Life is beautiful, therefore solipsism is false.

If it wasn't false, then why would these people be this caring to you and why would they have have these experiences too? How could've life been created without God, and if it wasn't, then how was the universe created? If the Big Bang theory is true, then how did it all start out as a small speck? How were we made? By God. We can't generate the vast majority and detail of this world in our minds. That would be impossible. The world is vast. Go out and live it!

• It is impossible to prove otherwise.

While solipsism is certainly a stretch, as well as a taboo concept, there is simply no way to prove that anything else exists. Until you experience something, you cannot be sure it is really there. If you walk into a library and pick up one book, how do you know the other books have print in them? You don’t until you see for yourself. By solipsism, however, every book you don’t pick up is an illusion, a facade planted in place. This concept applies to the entirety of existence. You can’t prove that other people have thoughts and genuine emotions as opposed to programmed responses to things and, for that matter, that anything exists outside of how you perceive it.

• Can't prove a darn thing

The entire point of solipsism is that it can't be proven wrong, somewhat like Last Thursdayism. It fails Occam's Razor, sure, but it is a possibility. To declare it, then, a falsehood seems like a leap of faith, and one I'm not willing to make regardless of my own distaste for the concept.
    You simply can't prove that I typed this. There's no way to know for sure that you're not just making it all up, every bit of it. Silly? Yes. Possible? Yes.

• We'll never know

Well solipsism can be fun to ponder I don't subscribe to it my self.There's no way to prove it wrong though.We can only be sure of our own consciousness, and well I'm pretty sure I didn't come up with string theory on my own there's no way you can experience anybody Else's sense of self.

Posted by: rja7
  • Virtual Certainty that solipsism is true.

If you select a random number from one to infinity, there's essentially (are infinitesimals equal to zero? That's debatable, but you won't find a single digit number when selecting, unless you do it infinitely (which infinity is higher? Can you even decide which is higher? More debate)) no chance that you will get a number with 1 digit. There are too many ways for it not to turn out that way.

Imagine Susie has a bag with a randomly colored ball. It could be red, but it's just as likely to be blue, and just as likely to be green, and just as likely to be purple, or any other named color. There are lots and lots of these named colors, but (probably)not infinite numbers. But it's also just as likely to be green, except ever so slightly darker. Or ever so slightly more dark. OR ever so slightly MORE. There are infinite colors, so there are infinity minus one ways it could not be perfect red, compared to one way it could be. There is essentially no chance it'll be perfect red. It's too unlikely.

The world could be real. But it could also be a dream. It could also be a simulation. It could also be a game show where you don't realize you're being tricked. It could also be a test by some god, where your memories were removed. These are all the different named colors.
    It could be a dream in which a certain bag in the WAKING world has a red ball in it. It could be a dream in which that bag has a blue ball in it. There are infinite circumstances that could be present in the WAKING world for each set of circumstances that is the dream. The dream is the ones digit. There's a smaller number of ways the dream world could be. But adding another digit multiplies the amount of possible numbers by ten.

There are so many numbers that have a ones digit of one. Infinite, in fact. If you select a random number from that set, it won't be just the number one. If you select a random possible world from the set that matches what you see, you won't get a world in which what you see is all there is. Or what you know is all there is. Or that any given world is all there is. There is always another digit that could be added, and having that additional digit is (infinitely)more likely than not having it. You could have a dream inside a simulation inside a god's test but it was just a game show with god being played by an (inferior, sorry religious guys) actor.

Odds are the number won't even be finite. Odds are there will be infinite dreams within dreams. This world can't be real. All that can be real is the dreamer and the dream (and a theoretical infinitely distant real world, which can't be reached and therefore is moot).

• Virtual certainty that the world is an illusion.

Suppose Susie had a randomly colored ball in a bag. There would be an equal chance of it being a red ball or a blue ball. If there are ten colors besides red it could be, there's only a 1/11 chance the ball would be red. If there are infinite colors besides perfect red, you can (not technically, but virtually) say with certainty that her ball will not be red.

Now I will apply that to the world. Can anyone know how the real world truly is? There is one (control) way the world could be in which nothing is abnormal. There is another option in which I am dreaming the world. There is another in which I am in a VR world. There is another in which I am in a game show where everyone I associate with is an actor, tricking me from birth (It could get really bizarre). There is another option in which I was sent down by a god to be tested on Earth.

I could also point out that these descriptions could apply to infinite unique options. There is one option in which this is a dream and in the real world a certain bag has a red ball. There's another option in which that certain bag had a blue ball. SO MANY factors exist in the next world that can be modified, that the number of options in even a single category dwarfs the single control option to virtual impossibility. For each permutation of circumstances in this world, there is an infinite number of ways to dream that permutation and only one way not to. It's just like generating a random number from 1 to infinity. There are infinite numbers with greater than four digits, and only 9999 of those numbers with equal or less than four. The odds are essentially zero that there won't be more variable digits existing besides the four digits of the world we can be aware of.

Dreams can happen an infinite number of times INSIDE EACH OTHER, with the same reasons as before proving there will be another level to wake up into, and another, and another. It is virtually certain there won't be a real world (in finite reach).

And I can be sure I exist, but I can't be sure about the rest of you, since as far as I know only one person dreams any given dream. I've never heard of shared dreams, or creatures who exist only in some dreamscape or whatever.

But if I wake up enough times, I'll find I was dreaming that different rules of logic apply. I could only be dreaming 2+2=4, or that numbers are equal to themselves, or that the "I think, therefore I am" logic I used is even valid. Really, I don't know anything about the real world, or whether its logic supports dreams within dreams. But I CAN say is that this world can't exist on its own, or its logic is false.

• We may never *know* for sure, but it is highly unlikely that Solipsism is false

As many have stated, it is absolutely impossible to know if anything outside of our own consciousnesses exist. I will take it a step further, however, and state that it is most probably we are living in some sort of simulation.

"There's a one in billions chance we're in base reality" - Elon Musk

"We should hope that's true because otherwise if civilization stops advancing, that could be due to some calamitous event that erases civilization, so maybe we should be hopeful this is a simulation. Otherwise, we will create simulations that are indistinguishable from reality or civilization will cease to exist. Those are the two options." - Elon Musk

"I think the likelihood may be very high.. We would be drooling, blithering idiots in [a more intelligent being's presence, If that’s the case, it is easy for me to imagine that everything in our lives is just a creation of some other entity for their entertainment.” - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Whether these simulations are occurring in a linear or nested/infinitely-regressing format is up for debate, but the fact that they are occurring is more likely than not.

Even if we are a simulated reality, there is no way to be sure the beings running the simulation are not themselves a simulation and the operators of that simulation are not a simulation.

A modern version of Plato's allegory of the cave would be to consider a situation in which a pair of advanced VR goggles were slapped on you the moment you were born. How would you ever know you were in such a VR world? What would be the experience of removing those goggles after many years?