• A Load of BS

Solipsism is the philosophical equivalent of an annoying 3 year old continuing to ask why, why, but why. The belief that you are the only thing you can prove to exist is stupid and a self centred. If two people walked into the same room both people will see the same room, therefore the room can be proven to exist. One Copy of Harry Potter says the exact same thing as another copy of Harry Potter and you can read two copies to prove it.

I am however surprised about the person above opinion, religious beliefs generally see the universe only existing in the Eye of God.

• We'll never know (I agree with rja7)

We may never know, but there are plenty of philosophical problems like that. The point is, you can create however many crazy scenarios you want, but at some point you have to make an educated guess, and live your life off that. Is solipsism true? Maybe, but there isn't enough evidence to convince me.

• Life is beautiful, therefore solipsism is false.

If it wasn't false, then why would these people be this caring to you and why would they have have these experiences too? How could've life been created without God, and if it wasn't, then how was the universe created? If the Big Bang theory is true, then how did it all start out as a small speck? How were we made? By God. We can't generate the vast majority and detail of this world in our minds. That would be impossible. The world is vast. Go out and live it!

• It is impossible to prove otherwise.

While solipsism is certainly a stretch, as well as a taboo concept, there is simply no way to prove that anything else exists. Until you experience something, you cannot be sure it is really there. If you walk into a library and pick up one book, how do you know the other books have print in them? You don’t until you see for yourself. By solipsism, however, every book you don’t pick up is an illusion, a facade planted in place. This concept applies to the entirety of existence. You can’t prove that other people have thoughts and genuine emotions as opposed to programmed responses to things and, for that matter, that anything exists outside of how you perceive it.

• Can't prove a darn thing

The entire point of solipsism is that it can't be proven wrong, somewhat like Last Thursdayism. It fails Occam's Razor, sure, but it is a possibility. To declare it, then, a falsehood seems like a leap of faith, and one I'm not willing to make regardless of my own distaste for the concept.
    You simply can't prove that I typed this. There's no way to know for sure that you're not just making it all up, every bit of it. Silly? Yes. Possible? Yes.

• We'll never know

Well solipsism can be fun to ponder I don't subscribe to it my self.There's no way to prove it wrong though.We can only be sure of our own consciousness, and well I'm pretty sure I didn't come up with string theory on my own there's no way you can experience anybody Else's sense of self.

Posted by: rja7
  • We may never *know* for sure, but it is highly unlikely that Solipsism is false

As many have stated, it is absolutely impossible to know if anything outside of our own consciousnesses exist. I will take it a step further, however, and state that it is most probably we are living in some sort of simulation.

"There's a one in billions chance we're in base reality" - Elon Musk

"We should hope that's true because otherwise if civilization stops advancing, that could be due to some calamitous event that erases civilization, so maybe we should be hopeful this is a simulation. Otherwise, we will create simulations that are indistinguishable from reality or civilization will cease to exist. Those are the two options." - Elon Musk

"I think the likelihood may be very high.. We would be drooling, blithering idiots in [a more intelligent being's presence, If that’s the case, it is easy for me to imagine that everything in our lives is just a creation of some other entity for their entertainment.” - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Whether these simulations are occurring in a linear or nested/infinitely-regressing format is up for debate, but the fact that they are occurring is more likely than not.

Even if we are a simulated reality, there is no way to be sure the beings running the simulation are not themselves a simulation and the operators of that simulation are not a simulation.

A modern version of Plato's allegory of the cave would be to consider a situation in which a pair of advanced VR goggles were slapped on you the moment you were born. How would you ever know you were in such a VR world? What would be the experience of removing those goggles after many years?