Stetson Kennedy's infiltration of the Klan: Does KKK still operate this way today?

• Yes, today's Klan members often join because they want to be part of an exclusively white organization that opposes homosexuality, interracial relationships, and illegal immigration.

Decades after the era when the Ku Klux Klan lynched African-Americans, the hate group is still fighting for white power.There are active chapters in 41 U.S. states, with between 5,000 and 8,000 active members, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. Members are split among local organizations like the Fraternal White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan in Tennessee and a few national organizations, like the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. Today's Klan members often join because they want to be part of an exclusively white organization that opposes homosexuality, interracial relationships, and illegal immigration.

• Yes, I believe the KKK still operates the same way because their message is the same and their attire remains the same

I am sure that the KKK changed some of their signature handshakes and their passwords following Stetson Kennedy's infiltration, however, the KKK's message has remained the same. They also still meet in the same manner and wear the same white disguise to signal their membership in the Klan. I think that they continue to practice in a very similar way. Their racism has not evolved to say the least.

• No, those practices are from a bygone era.

The practices of the KKK have gotten more insidious and tend to stay in the shadows more. Despite what cable news would have you believe, there are no more legions of menacing hooded figure storming through the woods to lynch people. They recruit and destroy in ways that are more hidden in this modern age.

• I do not believe the KKK operates the same way today.

I do not believe the KKK operates the same way they did before. Before, their ideas had much more explicit support, and their victims had little support. Now, if they were to operate as openly as they did many years ago, there would be public outrage. They would also be arrested for their actions.