Strict punishment of child offenders: Is stricter punishment the answer to juvenile crime?

• Stricter punishment is the answer to juvenile crime.

Stricter punishment is the answer to juvenile crime. I believe that this is true because most juvenile offenders commit crimes because they know they are not going to get a harsh sentence but a slap on the wrist for the most part. I think that by having a stricter punishment would be helpful.

• Yes, in part.

Young people knowing that they would be strictly punished is one answer to the fact of juvenile crime, but there are other factors that play into things too, such as poverty, awareness of opportunities, parental involvement, and moral upbringing. Guidance on many levels would do a lot to show kids that there are other possibilities.

• Children are the future of society

There is a reason for which children are not allowed to drive, vote or watch certain films. Because they are not fully developed, mentally or physically, they are more likely to commit crimes or be easily influenced. Therefore, the answer is not to imprison them, it is to correct their behavior, to assure that they will not do it again. Children are the future of society and if they do not have the opportunity to fully develop, in safety, there will be no future.

• No, Gentle correction will be more effective

First and foremost, young offenders are still children. Children are meant to
    be gently guided into good behavior. If they are punished too harshly, they
    may become vicious, like a beaten dog, instead of loyal and loving like a
    cherished pet that has been corrected with kindness. Child offenders
    should be treated as gently as their crimes allow. If they must be confined, it
    should be in a place where they have access to light and air, to healthy recreation
    and good counsel. Many have taken the right path, when they were gently guided
    to it.

• I do not think stricter punishment is the answer to juvenile crime.

I do not think stricter punishment is the answer to juvenile crime. I think teaching parents to be good parents is the answer. If worst comes to worst, I think the answer might even be punishing the parents for bad parenting. A lot of kids just get angry when they are punished because they've never even been taught why what they are doing is wrong in the first place.

• Stricter punishment is not the answer to juvenile crime.

Stricter punishment will not deter minors from committing crimes. Rather, there should be social programs in place that will help juveniles cope with their problems rather than resorting to crime. Adults should try to understand the problems kids go through and help them to adapt to difficult situations in a peaceful way.

• I believe that the answer to juvenile crime is rehabilitation.

I believe that the answer to juvenile crime is
    rehabilitation. Strict punishment of
    underage offenders has been attempted in the past, but it hasn’t caused the
    crime rates to drop. In many cases,
    juvenile offenders have been tried as adults and even given sentences of life
    in prison. I think rehabilitation is a
    better strategy.

• No, correcting the reasons for offence is

If a child breaks the law, stricter punishment will result in being more likely to re-offend. I think that determining the cause of the offensive behavior and correcting it is the answer. Focusing on giving the child a quality education and a fighting chance at becoming a contributing member of society will probably yield better results.