Surrogate mothers: Should surrogate motherhood be allowed?

• Yes I agree #11

If a couple wants a baby but is unable to have one of there own there should be a way to carry their genes without conception, surrogacy helps couples have a child just by caring it. Yes the biological mother could get attached but that's something they will have to deal with in wanting to help an infertile couple. Helping an infernal couple is the women's choice if she doesn't want to there's no law saying she has to, if she does get attached to the baby then she would have to go to counseling. There should however be laws that require drug screening and psychological check on the surrogate mother. To ensure the safety of the child in the temporary mothers care, someone professional should also go over attachment issues and clearly state to the surrogate mother that she may be the biological mother but she's not the baby's mom and have she sign a document stating she understanding the circumstances.

• I agree with surrogate motherhood

#5 I think that surrogate motherhood should be allowed to all people. I think this because in the movie Baby M, there was a couple who wanted to have a child but the wife had major medical issues and it could have affected her severely and would of also affected the child. They wanted not to risk her health or the babies so they have decided to have a surrogate mother and have Bill donate his sperm so it would be his own child. Of course they were very excited and couldn't wait to hold the baby in their arms. Yet there are some disadvantages about this such as the surrogate mother would have a hard time giving up the child, like as in the movie. But also this is a great way to have a child of part of you if you are unable to have one of your own. There are many benefits of having a surrogate mother such as if you have health issues you could be more healthy for when the baby comes then if you risked having the child. This seems like the best option if you are looking to becoming a mother without risking your health

• Yes it should

#6
    Personally I think surrogacy should be allowed, for some people there are certain complications that they can face either during their pregnancy or after as well as infertility. Surrogacy gives people a chance to have a family when they might not be able to without surrogacy. Although it may be hard for the surrogate to turn over the baby after birth, it is in a written contract and the child will most likely be awarded to the parents who are willing to pay so much to have a child because they really do want one but may not be able to conceive. In the movie "Baby M" there were complications with the surrogate mother giving up the child but in the end the right thing happened and the baby was awarded to the correct parents. In the movie Betsy Stearns had MS and was not able to have a child without a great risk to her or the unborn fetus's health therefore it was unrealistic for her to have a child, but surrogacy gave her and her husband a way. Surrogacy is a great way to help people who can't get pregnant a way to have a baby and start a family even though there might be some complications.

• Yes it should.

#3 I believe that surrogate motherhood should be allowed everywhere. I think it's a great idea and a great way to help people start their own families if they have a disability or some type of disorder where they cannot have children of their own. I believe that if someone wants to have a child but they personally can't, and someone is willing to help them, that help should be available. Having a child through a surrogate mother means that not both partners wishing to have a child will be able to supply their DNA. But at least one of the partners DNA can be a part of the child. Recently in my parenting and families class, we watched the movie Baby M. It was a very good movie. The movie was about a couple who wanted to have a child but the wife had multiple sclerosis, and if she had a baby she would be risking her health, and the babys health. So, they went through a surrogate mother and the father was the sperm donor. When the baby was finally born, the surrogate mother didn't want to give the baby up, leading to a huge custody battle involving the court and many long trials. And in the end the couple who initially wanted the baby, received custody. I think this is really the only issue with surrogate motherhood. The surrogate mother could grow a close connection to the child and not want to give it up, but they sign s contract so they have to give up the child. If they know they're not gunna want to give away the child then they shouldn't have signed the contract to begin with.

• Surrogacy is a Personal Choice

Surrogacy is a personal and very private choice between the surrogate mother and the prospective parents, not something that should be heavily controlled or legislated. Like other medical procedures, surrogacy should be privately handled at a fertility clinic and those who do not agree with it do not have to participate, but government involvement by banning it is an invasion of personal and medical privacy.

• yes it is

I completely agree with Surrogate motherhood I think that surrogate mothers should be allowed because if somebody can't have children they should still be able to raise a family of their own. To some people, having the same DNA as your child is very important. I believe that if someone is willing to be a surrogate mother to help somebody out, they should be able to. Also, gay people aren't able to have a baby with both of their DNA, so it would be nice to at least have one of the partners genes, and have the other legally adopt the child. If someone doesn't think they would be able to give away the baby after giving birth to them, they shouldn't of signed the contract, although there are now laws and they would have to give up the child to the other family.

• Yes I agree #11

• Yes I do agree that surrogate mothers should be allowed.

I think that surrogate motherhood should be allowed because some people can't have children even when they want to. It's honestly the women's choice if they want to be a surrogate mom and it's there issue so why get involved. Also I think that all surrogate moms should go through testing to see if they are mentally ready to have a surrogate child. And all of the records should be manually entered into a computer to make sure all information is on the computer so no one loses anything like in the case of Baby M.

• I believe surrogate motherhood should be allowed

Student #7

In my opinion I believe that surrogate motherhood should be aloud because it gives a family a chance to have a baby if one family member is infertile and can't have babies of their own. It is a great thing to have someone who can have kids help someone out who cannot have babies. If someone is infertile it is a huge risk for their health to have kids, but if someone else carries the baby it is a lot safer for the infertile mother to choose that option. There could be some disadvantages to surrogate motherhood like having to give up the baby after birth, like seen in the movie Baby M but there are many beneficial reasons to choose this family planning method.

• The surrogate and the prospective couple should have a personal conversation for it is up to them.

#2) I believe If the surrogate mother wants to be apart of the child's life then it's a private conversation between the prospective couple. Terms and conditions should be made or set due to the surrogates natural reaction to feed and love the child for the first time. To gain and have that bond with their flesh and blood that was just born. After reading files of surrogate mothering and watching the movie baby-M it states that child may be with the mother with 48 hours, But the mother deserves spend the first week with the child. So the child can be breastfed and, likewise with some others may need to figure out the medical procedures and surrogacy should be privately. The best place to handle this type of situation would at the fertility clinic and those who do not agree with it do need have to participate or need to but in. In fact according to CDC "Number of women ages 15-44 with impaired fecundity (impaired ability to get pregnant or carry a baby to term): 6.7 million.Percent of women ages 15-44 with impaired fecundity: 10.9%. Number of married women ages 15-44 that are infertile (unable to get pregnant after at least 12 consecutive months of unprotected sex with husband): 1.5 million. Percent of married women ages 15-44 that are infertile: 6.0%. Number of women ages 15-44 who have ever used infertility services: 7.4 million."(http://www.Cdc.Gov/nchs/fastats/infertility.Htm) The surrogate mother is one who is fertilized and carrying the child I believe they deserve at least a week and yearly visits from the women who took care and birthed the child. This is also the personal choice between the surrogate and the prospective couple.

• Surrogate motherhood is unhealthy

#8. I believe that surrogate motherhood can be beneficial but, as in the case of baby M it could be dangerous and unhealthy emotionally and physically for the "real" mother. In baby M the mother mary-Beth whitehead got so emotional that she ended up going and taking the baby back from Bill and Betsy stern and took it on an 83 day trip through Florida and put the sterns through emotional stress. In the end she went to court and drew out procedures that were unnecessary and unpleasant to all involved, after the sterns got the baby back the whiteheads appealed the court and caused Betsy to lose her legal adoption of the baby and it granted mary-Beth visitation. In the end she divorced her husband Rick whitehead and married another man, then had a kid with him...So as I stated here fight for melissa stern to become Sarah whitehead was pointless in the end because she had her own baby

• No it should not

#4

No we should not have surrogate mothers because they will get too attached to the baby and want to keep it as their own and not give it up. In the baby M case the surrogate mom had the baby and didn't want to give her up. It created issues and they had to go to court. If you are a surrogate mother in real life you might not want to give up your baby because you might get attached to it, the same issues could happen as in the Baby M case. There are other ways you can have a baby by adopting one. Some people believe that you can't be a family without the same DNA, but a family is still a family no matter what. If you really want a family you can find another way to make it happen. I do not believe that being a surrogate mother is the best option and it should not be allowed to happen.