• Tau is needless

Tau is defined as 2 pi. I have asked multiple people about the controversy between tau and pi. Most of these people didn't even know what I was saying. Then I proceeded to ask a math teacher, she then said it doesn't matter which one you use, but most people are more familiar with pi. Pi has literally been around for hundreds of years, and for all the people who say we need to update, I say this.

Pi, to me, is more intuitive, for more people. Pi breaks down the basis of a circle into two separate parts. Tau does not break down a circle at all, it is a whole circle (using radians as measurement). Most of the people that I talk to need things to be broken down.

For instance, if I had a whole pie, and I wanted to find the area, tauists would say you should use tau instead of 2 pi. I would say why would you use that? They would say it is a simple form of 2 pi. This is saying that y = 2x, why use 2x when you could use y.

This whole argument is based on this situation. For the situations you would use 2 pi, you could technically use tau. But most people are going to know pi, use pi, and understand pi more than they would tau. You would have to teach an entire generation to learn tau. The amount of time that goes into this makes this nearly worthless.

In the words of most everyone in the world, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it."
    Pi has been around for hundreds of years, why change it now when it works just fine as it is?

• Pi is more useful for longer periods of time.

Pi is used in many more equations and formulas early on, so you will use pi for longer periods of time when learning math. In addition, Pi is a well known and world wide system learned in every single school from Miami to Chengdu. Pi is in my opinion better.
    Trent, you need to say which side is what. Pi/yes, Tau/no.

• Tau is useless

• Pi's only significance is being half of tau.

Piguinrulist says pi is better because it breaks a circle into two parts. It does this because it is not the circle constant, it is the half circle constant. Why would you ever look at half of something and say it is more important than the whole thing? That's completely absurd.
    Pi is defined as the ratio of circumference to diameter, but diameter isn't used in a single formula anywhere else in mathematics; it's always radius. Even circumference is 2πr. This makes tau much more intuitive. Why is a quarter rotation half pi radians? Is 1/4 now equal to 1/2? No, pi is off by a factor of two. Radian angle measure would be easy enough for a preschooler to understand with tau, but with pi, high school students struggle with it.
    Area of a circle comes from areas of triangles, which are 1/2 bh, so their should be a factor of 1/2 in the formula. In fact, area of a circle is a special case of sector area, 1/2 θr^2. With pi, it doesn't seem to be, so even though area of a circle is simpler with pi, it is more intuitive with tau.
    All your other arguments were appeals to tradition, which are not logically sound. If pi "isn't broken," there wouldn't be multiple peolle who independently of each other realized pi was wrong, and there wouldn't be a growing movement to replace pi.
    Euler's identity is also better with tau. E^iτ=1 corresponds to a full rotation in the complex plane, which brings you back to one. E^iπ=-1 correspond to half a rotation, and e^iπ+1=0 corresponds to half a rotation and then a shift by one unit, which isn't even a special case of Euler's formula anymore!
    There are many other places where tau is better, such as roots of unity, a lot of probability distributions, the Fourier transform, Stirling's approximation, the Reimann zeta function, the integral of any Guassian function, etc.

• Tau is better.

Tau is the more useful unit when using radians. For example, a quarter tau radians is a quarter of a circle. Pi on the other hand, you need to use math to figure out how much of a circle a quarter pi radians is and remember the conversion. For that reason, tau is better.