The IRS doesn’t tell 1 million taxpayers that illegals stole their Social Security numbers. Should the IRS be required to share more information with the public?

• IRS withholding information is unethical

If my social security number is stolen, I believe that I should be informed. I suppose if the IRS knows it, then identity theft will not actually occur, or if they use my number, I won't be held responsible for their actions; but I can't imagine that my personal information could be stolen and I am not even notified. What would be the reason that they wouldn't want us to know that? It just doesn't seem ethical to me.

• Yes, the IRS should be required to share more information with the public.

The IRS should be required to disclose important information to the public; like the fact that 1 million taxpayers had their Social Security numbers stolen by illegals. The IRS should promptly alert anyone that might have had their information stolen by hackers. Furthermore, the agency should provide free credit monitoring to identity theft victims.

• IRS Secrecy Harmful to Taxpayers

By refusing to tell 1 million taxpayers that their Social Security numbers were stolen, the IRS has put a great number of innocent people at risk. The amount of harm that could be done to the credit of these individuals is staggering, and the IRS has a responsibility to make these kind of security breaches public.

Yes, the IRS should be required to share more information with the public. One reason why they might not is that some sensitive information could cause a widespread panic to the public. However, since it is the public's information in jeopardy, the Internal Revenue Service should be required to share that information.