The Michigan drug-testing welfare program yielded no positive results for banned drugs. Are these screening programs worth the cost to taxpayers?

• Yes, drug screening is worth the expense to prevent illegal drug use.

Yes, drug screening for welfare is worth the extra cost to taxpayers. I believe that since most employers require random drug testing to maintain a job that it is a fair requirement to also expect that welfare recipients will also be drug tested. I believe that just because there were no positive results doesn't mean this was an ineffective program. I believe this may be a good preventative tool to reduce incentive to use drugs.

• Keep testing recipients.

I think that just having the program in place keeps people from using illicit drugs. When they know that they are going to be tested, they won't use the drugs, because they want to get the money. This means that the program is helping. If I have to take a drug test to work, they should have to take a test to get free money.

• No, these screenings are a waste of taxpayer money.

If taxpayers really don't want people to use illegal drugs, tax money should be invested in providing rehabilitation clinics and better education surrounding the reality of drugs. Threatening to punish drug users by not allowing them to eat doesn't do any good for our society. Additionally, these screenings are a total waste of money.

• No, these programs are discriminatory and wasteful.

I think that these programs are discriminatory and wasteful. Help should be given to the needy without accusing them of substance abuse. There are others ways to make sure that those who are in need are on the right path. The results of the tests prove that most people just want help for their family. So, they should be given what they need without fear of retribution or arrest.