The phrase "It's all Greek to me" occurs in other languages, but often substitutes Chinese: Is Chinese one of the most difficult languages to understand?

• It's different than English.

Yes, Chinese is one of the most difficult languages to understand because it's so different than English. When a person speaks a romance language, there is a way that they can understand another romance language, because some of it is similar. Chinese is completely different, though, so it's hard to understand.

• For many people, yes.

Yes, for people who are used to languages that have their roots in Europe, Chinese would be a very difficult language to master. Europe, the Americas, Australia, New Zealand, and many other regions have languages that come from Latin or German. Also, nations around the world tend to learn English. But somehow, Chinese hasn't caught on as much outside of China, with the exception of in some Asian nations. Therefore, much of the world would find Chinese a challenging language to learn.

• Yes, Chinese is one of the most difficult languages to understand.

Yes, Chinese is rightly considered among the most difficult of all human languages to understand. Between its 500 symbols representing words in the written language and the stark differences between how those symbols are pronounced in various parts of China and the world, Chinese represents a special challenge for foreign language learners. Chinese characters also frequently represent ideas more than a single definite meaning, so that there is more possible interpretation when attempting to express the same thought in another language.

• 中文 很 简单

我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文 我会中文

I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese I speak Chinese

• Depends on which country is learning it.

First, I believe the phrase "It's all Greek to me" could refer to Latin. As Latin is a dead language, obviously it is very difficult to understand.

Second, I would like to bet that at least 90% of the people who argue for the Pro side originate from Europe, and that Chinese is the "difficult language" because it's the most widely spoken in Asia.

European countries use a different phonetic system than Asian countries. Europe and the Americas have an alphabetical system, where there are a set number of characters that are arranged and pronounced into different words based on their ORDER. On the other hand Asian countries developed a more pictogram-based system, where there are certain symbols that stand for basic categories, like "wood", "action", etc, or basic sounds, which are matched up to create different characters. A single character can represent a word or part of a word. Keep in mind that this is the standard for ALL ASIAN LANGUAGES.

In short, Asian countries all have an easy time learning each others' languages, and the same for countries in Europe and the Americas. What's difficult is adjusting to a different system of writing and speaking altogether. And Chinese is the target because, at over 1.2 billion native speakers, it is the most widely encountered Asian language. If Japanese had the largest worldwide number of speakers among Asian languages, then Japanese would be under scrutiny instead.

In short, blame your head, not the material.

• It's all Greek to me - or not?

If this question was posed as "Is Chinese one of the most difficult languages to learn?" my answer might be different. In order to understand something, you have to learn something. Understand Chinese is a hard language to "learn" but that doesn't mean that once you learn the language, it will be the most difficult to understand.