The Queen’s cousin has become the first British member of the royal family to come out as gay. Is homosexuality now accepted throughout the developed world?

• Yes, homosexuality is accepted throughout the developed world.

Yes, I believe that homosexuality is accepted throughout the developed world. With the United States Supreme court allowing marriage equality I feel like the tide has turned to acceptance. While there may be individuals who continue to discriminate, I feel like the majority of people are accepting. I think that a member of the British Royal family coming out gives courage to other LGBTQ people and builds support and acceptance.

• Yes, I think so.

I'm sorry, but why is this news? Has he killed/maimed raped someone? No. He's gay. Big deal. If homosexuality is normal, why do papers make such a fuss when someone comes out? They have to join the rest of society and realise that there's nothing newsworthy in such a circumstance. Unless it's someone who has used their sexuality to manipulate others. Then we want to hear about it

• It has been for a long time.

Coming out as gay might have been novel in the 1980s, but it's not anymore. There are so many new things that people do today that are so much more controversial than that. People don't judge gay people often anymore, and civil rights protect their access to marriage and housing. It's no longer a taboo.

• We still have a long way to go.

Just because a high ranking official comes out as gay does not mean that homosexuality is fully accepted across the board. There have been some major changes that have helped that acceptance but there is still a lot of animosity directed towards the gays that needs to be eradicated. Gays just want to love how they want and there is nothing wrong with that as long as two consenting adults are together.