The southern part of the U.S. faces potential flash floods this week. Is this an affect from global warming?

• W w w

W w w www w w w ww w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w ww w w w w ww w w w w ww w

• Yes, I think so.

Millions of Northeastern residents live near coastlines and river floodplains, where they are potentially more vulnerable to these climate-related impacts. In the Northeast, sea level has risen by approximately 1 ft since 1900, which has caused more frequent flooding of coastal areas. Sea level rise and coastal flooding are likely to disrupt and damage important infrastructure, including communication systems, energy production, transportation, waste management, and access to clean water.

• Global warming responsible for extreme weather

Global warming is in force and it is responsible for some of the extreme weather we are having. It was recently reported that this was the hottest year on record, the third consecutive year such a claim was made, and it was attributed to global warming. As a result, we are facing more extreme weather, such as flash floods in the southern part of the United States.

• No, global warming is real but its effects are too large to determine specifics of what it causes.

No, I do not think we can say with any certainty that these specific floods are caused by global warming. I do believe global warming is real but its effects are much too large and varied to predict specific events it causes. It's possible but I cannot be entirely sure so I am siding with a "no."

• It's an affect from weather

I do support the idea of global warming, though I can't definitively say that these flash floods are due solely because of it. Flash flooding is something that occurs when there is too much precipitation in a short amount of time. That happens, regardless of whether the Earth is getting warmer.