The words "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance violates the First Amendment

Asked by: Neurax
  • Yes, though no one is forcing you to say the pledge.

I, for one, never pledge my allegiance to any flag or nation. My duty is to the good of all mankind. Nationalism is an outdated concept that should be done away with. What is the point of it all? I know that I didn't really back my position, but I felt that all that needed to be said had been said by others above.

• US First Ammendment

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Take note of "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion".

Posted by: WXL
  • The First Amendment

That is the first amendment. Congress can not respect an establishment of religion. This means that no references to God in anything the government is responsible for, because it is suggesting the idea of monotheism. It goes against the beliefs of polytheism and atheism. It is an establishment of a religious view of the government thus a first amendment violation.

• How about this:

Let. It. Go.

This is a fight not worth fighting. We have bigger fish to fry.

If you are that offended by a minor religious reference you probably need to go for a very long spiritual walk or go join the femi-nazi-humanist group down in some deep dug cave where you people belong.

• Everything violates the 1st Amendment.

Saying the pledge of allegiance itself violates the first amendment, whether it says 'under God' or 'under no God'. Either way you choose, you are forcing people to say something they don't want to. Being forced to live in a secular police state where you shove your absurd secular humanistic crap down everyone's throats is no better than a theocratic police state where you shove your absurd religious crap down everyone's throats.

• It's not a law, it's a pledge.

People are forgetting this. You're not required to say it. You might be pressured, but that's something else. And above all else, DON'T try to remove it. We have more important issues to address. It will take up so much needed time and waste resources. I need five more words.

Posted by: Rami
  • Of course not!

Take it from me, an unreligious person, it shouldn't bother you. When it says, "Under God" I don't think of the God, but more like a leader, or someone that represents us, the free people. Also, if you don't want to say god, then don't! I personally, and hear others, use the expression "Oh my God" all the time, so what's so different? If saying, "Under God" violates the first Amendment, then so does saying the Pledge of Allegiance.