There was a Macedonian crime reporter, Vlado Taneski, who was a serial killer. He reported on his own crimes and got caught because he wrote articles with information that had not yet been released. Do serial killers secretly want to get caught?

• To a certain degree, and of a certain number.

Many who have replied that they don't believe serial killers (in particular) want to caught parse it down to the idea that it is not so much they /want/ to get caught, but merely make a mistake. I think that this is attempting to say, "There's good in everyone." I don't necessarily believe that serial killers are evil, but they are certainly apathetic. Beyond this, I believe that, if, as one said, these killers want attention, then of course, they have played a scenario where they are caught; further, they must be aware of the certain veneration that we afford to serial killers. Consider Dylan and Eric, who had hoped they're debauchery would be made into a feature film by Steven Spielberg following the event (while Spielberg has yet to do as much, numerous films have been produced about them); of course, that's a bit more of a private act. Maybe we should consider the fictional Raskolnikov, who, following the murder of the pawnbroker, spends the rest of the novel not so much boasting about his successful murder (though sloppy), but hoping that someone, in all of St. Petersburg, will point him out as the killer. When he goes to confess his crime to the police station, he walks out the first time because they pay no attention to him. These killers are a bit like artists, in a sense: they would like a certain amount of recognition. A murder that goes unsolved may be called a successful murder, but does that mean that the killer is satisfied. After what they have done, while it may not be their first in? Not all the time. Even if it was a revenge murder--a wife who is resentful of her ex-husband for gaining custody; a man who feels that he was wronged by a business owner--where the killer only wants ftheir lives to be balanced, for tehre to be proper "justice" served, at some point in their lives, there will come a time where they would not so much like to confess, but like to be caught for it. Maybe it is out of pride, maybe it is out of a strange form of guilt, regret, for their actions they may have committed in a fit of anger. What can be said, I think, is that, if we should wish for our murders to be, "good as heart," as seems to be the suggestion on the negative side, then we should say that, they want to be caught for the sake of stopping themselves. Even the most sinister, we would hope, who would ge joy out of killing, would want to be caught, either selfishly or out of boredom.

• Serial killers do not secretly want to get caught

I do not think that serial killers, on average, want to be caught. I think cases such as Vlado Taneski is more of an example of getting cocky or too comfortable with the situation and becoming sloppy with their actions. In addition, serial killers by nature are repeating their actions which creates increased opportunities for them to create patters and clues.

• No, I don't believe all of them do.

I think that just like any person, when you "successfully" do something you become proud and some become arrogant and the more you successfully do this thing you start to think that you will never get caught..(in reference to murdering). They may think that they will never get caught and become comfortable and "sloppy" leading to them becoming caught. Or they are no longer able to differentiate between reality and what they portray to be real and they slip up like the reporter did.

• Serial Killers (of That Nature) Usually Want Attention

The serial killers that allow their pursuits to be seen or the ones who perform elaborate schemes such as the Macedonian man are killers who reside on the more narcissistic part of the scale. They like flaunting, teasing and showing off. What gets them caught is not any desire to be arrested; they just get drunk on their own hubris and make mistakes.

• No, Serial killers do not secretly want to get caught

No, Serial killers do not secretly want to get caught. I think serial killers want people to know about their crimes, and I think they want to be infamous, but I don;t think they actually want to get caught. If they were to be caught, they would be unable to do their hobby anymore, which is killing.