Tilikum the orca has died: Are orcas too dangerous to work with people?

• Yes, orcas are as dangerous as all whales are

Truth be told, orcas are a species of dolphin family. They are often referred to as whales because of their enormous size. My position is that if a creature is so much larger than me then it certainly could be dangerous and harmful to me. However, there are many believe some that intelligence overwhelm that menace.

To those people and to the trainer killed by Tilikum there has to remain the idea of possible dangers.

• Yes, I think so.

Tilikum is not the only orca who has become aggressive as a result of all the stress that the whales are forced to endure in the small tanks at SeaWorld. The park’s own records contain 600 pages of incident reports documenting dangerous and unanticipated orca behavior with trainers, consisting of more than 100 incidents in which killer whales bit, rammed, lunged at, pulled, pinned, and swam aggressively with SeaWorld trainers, many of which led to human injuries, including a near-death encounter experienced by trainer Ken Peters.
    Aggression toward humans and among orcas is nearly non-existent in nature, but the constant stress of living in incompatible social groupings inside minuscule tanks at SeaWorld causes them to lash out, posing a danger both to other whales and to employees alike.

• No, they are not

I believe that all animals, including such fierce creatures as Orca's, won't attack unless they are hungry or threatened. Unlike people, animals don't attack out of spite or revenge. Because of that I think it is possible to work with all animals, provided you are careful and respectful of their needs.

• There needs to be caution.

In general, I do not think that orcas are too dangerous to work with people. They are certainly no more dangerous than wild cats, such as tigers or lions. As with all animals, they should be worked with with ultimate caution. However, orcas need to be studied so we can learn more about them.