TIME magazine stated that video game is a varsity sport and is "The newest route to college". Do you agree with this?

Asked by: cookiemonsterr
  • It's tactical and requires intelligence

Unlike physical sports, eSports use a lot more mental skills. If you are good at a video game, especially ones such as Counter-Strike or Dirty Bomb, that shows that u are smart, strategic, and have very good mental capabilities.
    In traditional sports, you punch a person for a piece of leather. See the difference?

• Gaming is a varsity sport

Gaming is definitely a sport and can represent college without any problem. It shows that people don't have to be the strongest or the biggest to form a college team and they can just be humane and have fun together which is amazing. Besides, it is more interesting to me than any other sport existing. I would definitely be happy if my college would form a team like that.

In addition, we live in a technological era, and gaming is a big part of it. Colleges and universities won't ignore gaming forever, so it is better to have a great start. If someone don't want to be in his college gaming team, he doesn't have to, but the idea of having one is great and shouldn't be ignored.

Another aspect is the team work that is shown in gaming like in any other sport and perhaps even more. There won't be any guy/girl sitting on the side alone, but anyone will form a strong team representing a school together.

• Not as a sport, and I'm fed up of gaming friends saying it is!

For me, it's an activity, a competitive social activity in the same region as chess or a pub quiz. You sit down, you react quickly as in card games such as Spit or the kid's game Snap, and you engage primarily with your mind and second with your muscles. Of course it often seems mind numbing and like your muscles move on instinct, but isn't that more that your mind has been trained to quickly recognise and respond to the screen, and this triggers the relatively easy motion of moving a finger?

I think that, in tandem with good grades, it can show universities a high level of commitment if you're truly excellent at games. But low level gaming, or gaming for fun instead of actual work, doesn't really show anything. And damn am I sick of some old friends talking about how it's good for your mind and concentrates you and how they're going to put their CoD level on their uni application.