To what extent do we shape our own destinies? How much of it comes down to fate? (yes) all of it comes down to fate.

Asked by: steffon66
  • Swimming in the river, walking in the wind

Imagine fate being a strong river or a wind storm pushing you one way. If your strong enough then you can push your self forward in the opposite direction fate is pushing you in. Or you can at the very least go off to the side. So yes fate does exist but we can resist it. Not everyone can. But some people will manage. And if they can't change it entirely they can change it slightly.

• I know what its like to be good and i know what its like to be evil.

I never chose to be evil i couldnt help myself. My feelings tortured me and the only way to get relief was to hurt someone else. I was a sadist. For years i prayed for god to help me stop hurting others. Years after i stopped believing my feelings became less intense and now im a very good person. I wont even put an animal in a cage and i deny myself many pleasures for the good and benefit of others. So thats the empirical evidence i have and i know from my experience that people are either good or bad because of their feelings and logic which they dont choose so its beyond their control. And if we dont choose whether or not we are good or bad then chances are we dont choose anything. Why would a god give us free will and not allow us to choose whether or not we were good or bad making him responsible for our evil? That and everything else about our reality tells me that god doesnt exist and if he doesnt exist neither does free will. Look at the things people think they have control over that they clearly dont. Some people actually think they have control over games they are watching on tv. They think that if they dont wear a certain shirt or something their team cant win the game. So all the fans and the teams are depending on that one person and whether or not they wear their game shirt. Right.... People are the same way with their superstitions. They think they can do certain things to ward off bad luck and no matter what happens they can imagine worse so they think they might have gotten lucky. They think things would have been worse had they not had their good luck charm or what have you. So why couldnt people think they are in control when they really arent. We have been wrong about several things in the past while we were cocksure that we were right. And alchohol changes our behavior and it changes our destiny. That tells me that there are physical causes for our will as physical things can change our will. Free will by definition has no physical cause. People get brain injuries and go from bad to good or from good to bad and i saw my friends will change after he was involved in a car accident damaging his brain. He used to be kind of an as$ and he picked on people and now he is a very nice person who cares about everybody he also went from being a christian to an atheist shortly after his wreck. I highly doubt that a brain injury is going to determine whether someone goes to heaven or hell. If thats the case then god is evil because these things are beyond our control.

• Not so true

I believe fate can exsist but very often can it change some factors of our lives, in fact many people challenge the way of the universe so to speak in a way that they follow there own destiny and fate and not let others choose it for them. Some people can claim they cheated death or conquered life as it is but thats their delusions but in a matter of fact fate has something you cannot escape from and that is time and when your time is up well i believe you know what happens then.

• Ever seen an author write?

Destiny may be like a rough draft of a person's life. Everything seems all planned out but as the person grows and develops they sometimes divert from that draft into something entirely new. It also depends what you consider destiny. Is it the place you end up or key points in your life? Again, people say writers are the gods to their own stories, but many writers will tell you how different their original plan or "destiny" of the characters changed to whatever they have now.