Torture: Does the general public believe torture can be justified?

• Not the general public, no.

Pools show a consistent majority against using torture.
    But if you ask only men, and if you ask only soldiers, and if you ask only male soldiers from countries in the Middle East, then that number changes substantially. Why? Well, those people are more likely to have first-hand experience with torture.

• Yes, the ends justify the means.

Yes, the general public believes that torture can be justified, because they believe that is a necessary evil to keep Americans secured. If foreign enemies of the state are captured as prisoners of war and then treated like they are in a resort, it will not help the United States gather information about who wishes to harm us. Most people understand and agree that torture is sometimes needed to protect national interests.

• Some out there will.

Some people out there believe that torture is very justifiable, as the person being tortured had it coming. I believe in the old saying "What goes around, comes around", and if someone rapes and tortures innocent people, to me, it is only fitting for them to get a taste of their own medicine.

• I think America believes in torture

Maybe it is because of where I live, in the midwest, but I see more people that are a proponent of torture in certain situations. If torture could have stopped terrorist attacks than I believe the general public would behind it. I am personally against torture, however, but the public is not.

• There is justification

I believe that the public does believe that to torture is justified. There are many cases especially dealing with international crimes that the public develop a certain type of bias with torture and justifies that it is ok to do so there are rarely put in court cases at all

• Not the general public, no.

• Most Do Not Support Torture

I do not believe the general public finds torture justifiable. I think most people understand that in justifying torture, they admit that the same thing could happen to them. I think as a race, we have come to realize that it is not okay to harm each other, regardless of the circumstances.

• Geneva Accords Protect POWs

Torture can't be justified by any means. What would happen if you were tortured? Would you like it? Do you think you deserve it? Nothing justifies torture because some suspects may squeal just to get out of being tortured. Gathering intel can be done in other ways such as electronic monitoring and being followed.

• The general public wants to bury their head in the sand.

The general public would not support torture under any circumstances. The general public is glad to reap the benefits from a military torture. They are glad to maintain the freedom this country offers and support our military as long as they do not know the details of what are involved. The general public does not want to know these details. They would much prefer to bury their head in the sand where they are able to be judgmental against the very people protecting them.