Transcendence: Would you ever want to upload your consciousness to a machine?

• Absolutely, Because How Else Could We Survive to See What Wonders the Future Holds?

In the 1830's, physicist Micheal Faraday discovered that passing a magnet through a coiled copper wire could produce an electrical current. Meanwhile, in 1842, Ada Lovelace wrote an algorithm that made Charles Babbage's "Analytical Engine" possible. Imagine if these remarkable pioneers had been able to live long enough to see the impact of their discoveries on the world today? Electromagnetism and computer technology are so ingrained in our civilization, most of us can't even imagine a time before such things existed. But that time was once a reality, and those to whom we owe so much would never survive to see their works shape the future in which we live.

Now imagine what might lay in store for us going forward. I wish I could survive long enough to see tissue engineering eliminate the mortality rate for organ failure. I'd like to see stem cells cure paralysis and degenerative brain disease. I'd love to see nanotechnology obliterate cancer, and cure currently incurable viral infections. I'd love to see cybernetics improve the lives of amputees. I'd love to see civilization finally be able to harness the trillions of megatons of energy that rains down on us for free every 20 minutes, thereby eliminating the need for fossil fuels and pollution. I'd love to see personal jet packs.

I'd love to see all these things, but the chance that I will is not great. But if I was able to download my consciousness into a machine. I could conceivably survive indefinitely! This could revolutionize the way we see the future. It could make it possible to survive travel to distant stars over many tens of thousands of years. We could create backups for ourselves in case some horrible trauma leaves us mentally scarred and debilitated. Imagine suffering a severe head trauma or illness, one that would normally turn us into vegetables, or suddenly severely retarded. What if we could simply rebuild the damaged parts of the brain artificially, thus returning it to its full capacity, and then simply upload our most recent backup into it? Sure, we may lose a bit of time, whatever time passed between backups, but wouldn't that be far superior than having to relearn your name and how to walk and talk? I'd say absolutely, bring it on!

• Yes, you may have unique thoughts that can be easily shared

While uploading your consciousness will require massive amounts of storage and data that we cannot even fathom at the moment, digitalizing everything will keep historic records that others can learn from. It may advance society to a stage that we ever only dreamed of, which will massively benefit man kind.

• I wish i would say yes.

But... I can't. I know i can't. Even as a computer, you would not be immortal. The computer you're on will eventualy become outdated... And so will you. And being stationary all the time would also just suck. I personaly think i would be miserable. I still wanna go see the movie though! :D

• Oh my god yes!

Death sucks. Regardless of your beliefs/religion death is still an annoying thing as it gives you a time limit to complete everything you want to complete.

While it is true that people you love would eventually die, honestly, it doesn't matter. Because we all have to deal with the deaths of our loved ones eventually anyway. Immortality would not change this. Also, having the processing power of a machine would be amazing! Imagine all the thoughts you could have.

• The whole person makes consciousness what it is.

The idea of uploading consciousness to a machine is terrifying. It could never possibly hope to be the same as the original person. As a human our consciousness is influenced and formed not only by chemical and electrical signals but our experiences, interactions and relationships. This could not be simulated in a machine. A consciousness in a machine would not be able to grow and respond as a human would.

• I wish i would say yes.

• Immortality would suck.

Even though I (being the person I am now) would die anyway, the artificial me would find immortality boring beyond belief. Seeing that I would be part of a computer, that would mean that time to me would take on a different meaning entirely. The human mind has limits as to how much information can be processed at one time but a computerized brain would work at a much faster pace making seconds seam like hours or days. Not to mention I would not sleep so it would be a world that not only lasts forever but would seam to me like it is in ultra slow motion. In a a week I would beg others to pull the plug and put me out of my misery.

• No, I would rather live happily in my afterlife.

I really don't like the concept of this movie and I would never ever want to upload my consciousness to a machine. I can't imagine what sort of life it will be living inside a machine when you have lived a natural life. It seems all too scientific and not very attractive at all.

• People need some kind of privacy

I also think people are really crazy and we suppress a lot of our consciousness. Which is not really a bad thing, all things considering. I am also imagining this has something to do when people die. That would be a interesting way to keep the way certain people thought alive. The problem is many people's thoughts should die with them because they were not very good people in the first place.