Upskirting: Should a person who looks up a woman's skirt in public spend 5 years in prison?

• Yes They Should

Yes, I believe that they should because, it is an intentional act! A grown man looking up a Girls skirt in public is just wrong! Also it could possibly be counted as sexual offense. So this is my reasoning that Prople that do that, Should be put in jail for AT LEAST 5 Years.

• Yes. In-fact, just give the number of years to rise.

Upskirting is a very sexist thing to do. IT should be punished with AT LEAST 10-20 years of prison. Sexual harassers SHOULD NOT be let off with a 10 year sentence. This should not become a state law, it should become a national law so that it is equal, and not patchy.

• Depends on the scenario

If the person physically touched the woman or her skirt, then five years in prison is easily justifiable. No one should have their hands on a lady's skirt or her legs.

If this was a young adult (15-20-ish), and there was no touching, five years in jail would probably screw them up even more. Younger people are still kind of mold-able... Have them pay a big fine. Spend a night in jail. Given that it's a first offence. If it's a second offense of the same nature, then as someone else mentioned, I'd like to see them go to a rehabilitation program.

• It's an intentional act.

Yes, a person who looks up a woman's skirt in public should spend 5 years in prison, because the person who decides to do something like that does it intentionally. That is much worse than hurting someone carelessly. Rather, a person chooses to invade another person's privacy on purpose. 5 years in prison would be fair.

• Yes, people should be punished for voyeurism.

People should definitely be punished for voyeurism of any type, and some states (including California and Ohio) have laws about what's been deemed "upskirting," since it's become epidemic. It's especially upsetting if the person committing the act has a video camera, which means that the victim is being filmed without permission, and the video might be shared online (since there are sites devoted to this). More states should enact laws about this.

• No, although offensive, it isn't serious.

Think about the amount of space left in prisons. This is an extremely minor crime. We should be saving room in prisons for murderers and rapist, not perverts who may not have even actually touched the person. Instead, charge them a hefty price. 5 years is an unfair amount of time.

• Too long for looking up a skirt

Looking up a woman's skirt is, as someone else said, a violation of women's personal space. Though five years in prison is too much for such a minor crime. Maybe some financial charges (and a slap on their face for their pervertness), but not five years. Five years should be for the actual criminals (drugs or attempted rape) But, if it leads to a serious sex offense, then they deserve much more than five years in prison.

• Depends on the scenario

• Way too much time.

5 years is a serious sentence, in the territory of involuntary manslaughter, aggravated sexual assault, and assault with a deadly weapon. This crime deserves a fine, probation, maybe some time, and possibly classification as a sex offender if repeated.

Otherwise, it is not "much worse than hurting someone carelessly" and does not deserve a sentence equal to involuntary manslaughter

• Punished? Of course.

I simply think that 5 years is too much. I believe that there should definitely be punishment for this act, but for what reason can you justify it being 5 years in prison? That is way too much of a punishment for the crime... Need to fill the space up.

• No, but they should definitely still be punished

Looking up a woman's skirt is definitely a violation of her body and her personal space, but five years seems a little excessive - Particularly if this is a first time offense. It's expensive to keep people in prison, and I would much prefer to see them participate in a rehabilitation program and then resume being a contributing member of society. On the other hand, if it is part of a pattern of sexual offenses, they should definitely be locked up for the safety of the public.

• No, a person who looks up a woman's skirt should not spend 5 years in prison

No, a person who looks up a woman's skirt should not spend 5 years in prison. Five years in prison is too much for this kind of offence. Although a short term in prison such as a few days and a large fine should be enforced in order to deter the lewd behavior from occurring again.

• Not the looking itself...

I believe that anyone should be able to look in whatever direction they wish, since you are not physically, or financially harming them.

I would also like to point out that upskirt photos/videos can actually be taken quite innocently, such as if you are filming a video, and the skirt just so happens to be blown up by the wind while you are filming. In addition to this, if the person wearing the skirt is walking up some steep stairs, or near the edge of a balcony, you will not actually know whether you will see up a skirt, or not.

Having said this, I do believe that it should be legal to look, or even film up a woman's skirt, (or even a man's kilt for that matter). Especially if you are in a public place at the time.

Some people will ask the question "Well is that not an invasion of her privacy?" And this is my answer to that question:

ONLY IF you actually have to invade their personal space or touch them, such as getting directly in between their legs, or physically lifting up the skirt, but then THIS action could be punished instead. And even then, don't you think that five years is too long?

• It's only interesting

To be honest, I don't think it's that big a deal in the first place. Unless they use force to lift up a skirt, or take pictures or build contraptions to take pictures for them, I don't think looking up a grown woman's skirt when she's showing it to you accidentally is that big a deal.

Plus, there are many, many women who use skirts to expose themselves to attractive men in public transport or even in classrooms and business meetings. It's all part of a sexual play for them, and you'd have the risk that not validating that sexual play would turn into a report of sexual harrassment by the woman who's been let down.

• That's very harsh

I understand it is wrong, and there should be a punishment, but think of it this way. Manslaughter only sentences 7. I think cruel laws need to end like the 20 years for hackers and the insane sentences for things that are barely illegal. They are only illegal because police made it.