Upskirting: Should a person who looks up a woman's skirt in public spend 5 years in prison?

• Yes They Should

Yes, I believe that they should because, it is an intentional act! A grown man looking up a Girls skirt in public is just wrong! Also it could possibly be counted as sexual offense. So this is my reasoning that Prople that do that, Should be put in jail for AT LEAST 5 Years.

• Yes. In-fact, just give the number of years to rise.

Upskirting is a very sexist thing to do. IT should be punished with AT LEAST 10-20 years of prison. Sexual harassers SHOULD NOT be let off with a 10 year sentence. This should not become a state law, it should become a national law so that it is equal, and not patchy.

• Depends on the scenario

If the person physically touched the woman or her skirt, then five years in prison is easily justifiable. No one should have their hands on a lady's skirt or her legs.

If this was a young adult (15-20-ish), and there was no touching, five years in jail would probably screw them up even more. Younger people are still kind of mold-able... Have them pay a big fine. Spend a night in jail. Given that it's a first offence. If it's a second offense of the same nature, then as someone else mentioned, I'd like to see them go to a rehabilitation program.

• It's an intentional act.

Yes, a person who looks up a woman's skirt in public should spend 5 years in prison, because the person who decides to do something like that does it intentionally. That is much worse than hurting someone carelessly. Rather, a person chooses to invade another person's privacy on purpose. 5 years in prison would be fair.

• Yes, people should be punished for voyeurism.

People should definitely be punished for voyeurism of any type, and some states (including California and Ohio) have laws about what's been deemed "upskirting," since it's become epidemic. It's especially upsetting if the person committing the act has a video camera, which means that the victim is being filmed without permission, and the video might be shared online (since there are sites devoted to this). More states should enact laws about this.

• No, although offensive, it isn't serious.

Think about the amount of space left in prisons. This is an extremely minor crime. We should be saving room in prisons for murderers and rapist, not perverts who may not have even actually touched the person. Instead, charge them a hefty price. 5 years is an unfair amount of time.

• Too long for looking up a skirt

Looking up a woman's skirt is, as someone else said, a violation of women's personal space. Though five years in prison is too much for such a minor crime. Maybe some financial charges (and a slap on their face for their pervertness), but not five years. Five years should be for the actual criminals (drugs or attempted rape) But, if it leads to a serious sex offense, then they deserve much more than five years in prison.

• Depends on the scenario

• Way too much time.

5 years is a serious sentence, in the territory of involuntary manslaughter, aggravated sexual assault, and assault with a deadly weapon. This crime deserves a fine, probation, maybe some time, and possibly classification as a sex offender if repeated.

Otherwise, it is not "much worse than hurting someone carelessly" and does not deserve a sentence equal to involuntary manslaughter

• Punished? Of course.

I simply think that 5 years is too much. I believe that there should definitely be punishment for this act, but for what reason can you justify it being 5 years in prison? That is way too much of a punishment for the crime... Need to fill the space up.

• No, but they should definitely still be punished

Looking up a woman's skirt is definitely a violation of her body and her personal space, but five years seems a little excessive - Particularly if this is a first time offense. It's expensive to keep people in prison, and I would much prefer to see them participate in a rehabilitation program and then resume being a contributing member of society. On the other hand, if it is part of a pattern of sexual offenses, they should definitely be locked up for the safety of the public.

• What's next? Looking down blouse? Snapping a Muslim woman's face/hair when her veil comes loose?

If women can roam on a beach or swimming pool wearing a bikini/swimming costume for all to see, I don't see how catching a glimpse of a woman's underwear is a crime.

If she's not wearing underwear and/or chooses a short skirt. Then it was probably her intention to flaunt.

It's real simple, if women don't want to expose themselves, then they can cover up to the level they wish. Wear shorts under skirt, wear a longer skirt, wear trousers, or wear leggings (showing your form - which can be far more revealing anyway). Same goes for men. You can wear a kilt, mankini, or whatever. It's your own responsibility to cover what you wish. Not other peoples' responsibility to avert their eyes from revealing sites.

Seriously I feel we're going down a path in society, where people (mostly men) are fearful of doing anything that may implicate them as being a pervert or pedophile. I've seen women dressed up to the 9's in very revealing outfits on a Friday night, if an unattractive guy or a much older man looks at them, she'll call them a pervert and act like they have a problem. Similarly I know plenty of teenage girls (13-16) that dress similar, go out at all hours with the intention of hanging with guys much older than themselves. Now I only know their age because they're the daughters of friends/acquaintances that I know. Many of them are more physically developed than a lot of women in their 20s.

This is the kind of problem we have in modern society. The full responsibility is placed on one side (in this case the man who sees an upskirt), and no responsibility is place on the other side (in this case the woman who chooses to wear a short revealing skirt, uncrosses her legs, has no underwear etc.)

Anyway I'll close by saying. If you think this is bad, you haven't seen nothing yet. With the advancement of technology. It won't be long before tiny <1mm wireless cameras with >1GB capacity will be available for cheap prices (<$100) and placed everywhere. Forget upskirts. We're talking 24/7 bedroom, bathroom, hospital, private conference rooms, secret labs, - anywhere you can imagine 'fly on the wall' spycams. So things will become several orders of magnitude more difficult to police in the next 2 decades.

• No. Surely we see more at the beach or swimming pool?

• Not In Public?

It all depends upon the behaviour that accompanies the looking. Also if the person doing the looking is not just satisfied with the gratituous fleeting glimpse, but is continuously staring and glaring at the skirt wearer to the point that she feels uncomfortable about it, this could br deemed as harrassment, back in the day it was usually the jealous boyfriend that settled the matter, but in these days of liberation the onus seems to be on the female herself to take matters in hand, perhaps a few harsh words or a filthy look may suffice?

• Not the looking itself...

I believe that anyone should be able to look in whatever direction they wish, since you are not physically, or financially harming them.

I would also like to point out that upskirt photos/videos can actually be taken quite innocently, such as if you are filming a video, and the skirt just so happens to be blown up by the wind while you are filming. In addition to this, if the person wearing the skirt is walking up some steep stairs, or near the edge of a balcony, you will not actually know whether you will see up a skirt, or not.

Having said this, I do believe that it should be legal to look, or even film up a woman's skirt, (or even a man's kilt for that matter). Especially if you are in a public place at the time.

Some people will ask the question "Well is that not an invasion of her privacy?" And this is my answer to that question:

ONLY IF you actually have to invade their personal space or touch them, such as getting directly in between their legs, or physically lifting up the skirt, but then THIS action could be punished instead. And even then, don't you think that five years is too long?