US airstrikes on ISIS: Should Obama have authorized air strikes on ISIS militants?

• Yes, the commander in chief has to show his authority.

One of the most important duties the President has, is to authorize military operatives. In this case there was a need to be aggressive. Whether you agree or not, perception is a big part in what influences military action. This was a situation where it was better to act first.

• Why the US is bombing ISIS in Iraq

President Obama announced on Thursday that he had authorized the US military to launch air strikes against ISIS militants in Iraq if they threatened the Kurdish capital of Erbil or the thousands of Yazidi minority civilians trapped on Mount Sinjar, both in northern Iraq. "When many thousands of innocent civilians are in danger of being wiped out, and we have the capacity to help, we will take action," he said. Those strikes began early on Friday.

Obama also announced that the US would airlift emergency humanitarian assistance into parts of the country. Why now? What in Iraq has led Obama to this point?

The key reason is that the Islamic State, the militant group better known as ISIS, has made major advances in northern Iraq in the past week. ISIS has swept into territory it had previously barely approached, posing a serious threat to American interests in Iraq and creating a major humanitarian crisis. Here's a guide to what happened, and why it's prompting American air strikes now.

• NO AIRSTRIKES PERIOD

At what point do we as an American public allow these crazy people to just carry on as they wish. Butting into this crisis with preemptive air strikes was a giant mistake! If the insurgents are going to fight and act like animals, I say let them. We spend far too much money butting in and sticking our nose where it doesn't belong. Shame on Obama once again.

• No, I don't think he should have.

I know he was trying to protect our citizens, but I think he should have pulled them from Iraq and not started another military attack. I believe it is only a matter of time before we have troops back on the ground in Iraq and more soldiers lives lost. We should have pulled out.