War on Drugs: Has the war on drugs been effective?

• A failed war

"For years advocates of free trade in drugs—that is, basic rights to life, liberty, and property for drug consumers, producers, and merchants—have pointed out that prohibition, in addition to being an immoral invasion of liberty by the State, sets in motion a variety of concrete evils that harm innocent people. These evils include the corruption of law enforcement, violent crime, and the expansion of intrusive government. Besides these domestic evils, the U.S. government has alienated farmers in foreign lands by helping to destroy their crops and livelihoods. If that’s not terrorism, nothing is." - Sheldon Richman

• No It Hasn't

" Instead of a war on poverty, they got a war on drugs so the police can bother me"-Tupac Amaru Shakur (1971-1996). He has a point. They killed the souls of inner-city people. And now cops can just place drugs on someone and blame them for using drugs. That's horrible.

• A failed war on drugs

The War on Drugs has been less successful than prohibition and has cost far more. Drugs are readily accessible to pretty much anyone who would like to find them, yet billions a year have been spent for the past 40 years to make that not happen. The War on Drugs has had a huge, negative impact on minority and inner city populations that will have lasting effects on these groups for generations.

• Definitely, Definitely Not

As headlines in my city (a suburb of Chicago, IL) speak of a new Krokodil epidemic in the area I'd 100% confident when I say the war on drugs has failed. Krokodil is a heroin replacement that literally eats your skin away and kills you in the 3 years of use. If people are desperate enough to use this drug then there is no way anyone can say the war on drugs has been a success.